Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:32:20 PM EDT
I've got a T3 that I need to have rebuilt. I'd like to have it rebuilt into a T3/T4 hybrid. Anybody offer this service for a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a kit on Ebay for the conversion.

"Upgrade your T3 turbo to a T4 V-Trim hybrid capable of flowing 51 lbs/min. Thats good for 514HP. Thats a 170HP more than a stock 60 trim T-3 turbo.Wheel measures 2.180(55mm)inducer, 2.75(69mm)exducer. Housing has 3" inlet and 2" outlet. The compressor wheel is already balanced. Kit includes new thrust bearing, thrust piece,compressor housing clamps and bolts. These parts are used but in excellent condition."

buy it now price: $100  link here

There's places you can send your turbo to have it rebuilt, but don't know any offhand.  Try a google search.  Thats all I can offer for now. dave
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually found a place last night through my searches on ebay that rebuilds turbos. The problem with doing it yourself is that you have to have it shipped off to have the whole assembly balanced anyway.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont buy that it needs balanced. Most verything that rotates in the housing was machined to tenths of a thousandth. If you want piece of mind send it out.

I rebuilt my ATI procharger and it was pretty simple. I installed the new bearings on the high speed shaft and installed the impeller and checked concentricity of everything between centers. Everything was withing .0002". Thats not to say yours may need balanced but I highly doubt it unless you had a crash or your putting on a cast impeller. My impeller was machined from forged aluminum so there was no question it was balanced.

I did have to get the rear seal custom made. Easy work though. Its just a gearbox.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What engine (or vehicle) is this going on?

How much pressure are you looking at sustaining and at what CFM?

If you go with a T3/T4 hybrid, will your exhaust manifold and downpipe still mate up or will you need to buy more hardware for the new flanges?

Stay away from eBay kits.

Yes you need to balance the wheels inside a turbo.  They might weigh very little, and they might me well machined from the start, but you have bearings and washers holding them in place and they can spin upwards of 90,000 RPM.  You want to avoid vibration inside the compressor housing.  Spitting chunks of your compressor blade (once the blade contacts the compressor housing) through your throttlebody and into the cylinder isn't a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I too would stay away from that ebay kit. A T4 family wheel would cost $100 about anywhere you can find one new, and a rebuild kit costs about the same. So getting both along with the comp cover, and backing plate for the same cost is too good to be true.

Dont forget that you need to properly size your comp and turbine wheel for YOUR aplication. If you will be able to handle the boost that the T4 comp wheel will flow, the stock turbine wheel will most certainly be a cork in the system and you will need to upgrade that too, which means that you will need to get your turbine housing machined for the bigger wheel.

By the time you are done, you could pick up a reasonably priced hybrid from one of the many good shops out there for less than it would cost you to pick up all the peices and then send it out to have it balanced.

In response to the balancing debate, there are some turbos which have the wheels balanced individually, and those that are balacned as an assy. It is said that the balanced assys will have a ground compressor nut on them. Personally, the cost of a new turbo far outweighs the $80 to take it to the local deisel truck shop and have them send it out for balancing. Things tend to go very wrong, very quickly at 150K RPM.

For a decent writeup on rebuilding a garrett turbo check out www.gnttype.org I believe it is in the how to guides section.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top