Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/10/2016 10:53:34 AM EDT
I know theyre a little heavy, but any other negatives with them?

Reliability? Parts availability?

No experience with them at all....just really want one in 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It's glossed over as no big deal to many of the Tavor fanbois, but a huge negative about the Tavor is the fact that it's a bullpup.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally shot one recently.  It just didn't do anything for me.  If I couldn't have AR15s, and I could have Tavors, I'd be fine.  But in a world where I can have ARs, a Tavor doesn't solve any problem I have, I wouldn't pick it over some of my ARs for self defense.  The Tavor has almost no aftermarket support, to boot.

If you want a fun bullpup get a PS90; the ammo is the same price as brass 5.56 now, and you can SBR it and get a short barrel all for about the price of just a Tavor.

If you're in the Israeli Defense Force, and you want an indigenously produced rifle for urban combat, that takes stanag mags, the Tavor is great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Trigger needs geissele help.  They're heavy in the rear, which makes them hard to hold with 1 hand unless you have the stock against your shoulder.  Doesnt like gen 2 pmags.

I love mine but it wouldn't be my goto gun unless I was going to be in extremely close quarters.  Kind of a niche / fun gun to me.

I'd fo if you want it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it OP. 

I really like mine. 

Sometimes it's just nice to shoot something different than an AR. 

SBR length none NFA, it's fun. 
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
It has pretty much the same problems as the Steyr AUG and it's not as nice to shoot or carry IMO.   I vote that instead of spending money on a semi-useless bullpup, you should get a .308 sized AR in some weird caliber, like .243 or .260.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I love mine, easy to shoot and very accurate. I have the older model, 16"; hitting steel out to 600Y is easy. I have several AR's, but I like the tavor for shooting off-hand.
I did change the trigger to a geissele.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Trigger is meh.  

Get a KAC SR-15.  If you already have one, get another.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
A gritty 10 lb trigger on a +$1,000 rifle is absolutely unacceptable. 
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like mine, it's fun.  It's a pretty decent "fighting tool", but not nearly as good for that sort of thing as my ARs.

Leave room in the budget for the Geissele trigger.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Ass heavy and not accurate. That's why I sold mine, for a loss unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Had one. Sold it awhile back. Liked the idea of a short bullpup but didn't like the trigger and the gas port near my face. I already have an AR so I sold it for an mp5 clone sbr build. I have more fun with that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Awhile back I got to spend the day with one doing various shooting drills etc. I never really got that warm and fuzzy feeling about the gun. It's fun, it's different and all but for me ergonomics didn't jive. I was happy to have the trusty ole Ar back.

I can see wanting one, having one, it'd be fun for awhile then a dust collector sitting in the safe.

Color wise I'd take the tan over black.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trigger is meh.  

View Quote

Shooting sight and geissele make nice options. 

The x95 supposedly already has a much improved stock trigger. I'm not sure if it's also been updated in the newest Tavors. If not removing the second spring in the stock pack helps a lot. 
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the X95 but I love the AUG

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my Tavor.

It is compact, and although a bit heavy, I find it well-balanced.

The trigger on mine is not that bad.  It is much better than that on my SCAR 16 (and most people admit the SCAR triggers are bad, but that rarely keeps people from buying one).

Whether the Tavor is better than an AR is purely a matter of opinion.  I like variety and was drawn to the Tavor for that reason.  But I was more than impressed with its handling and it quickly became my favorite carbine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Had one. Sold it awhile back. Liked the idea of a short bullpup but didn't like the trigger and the gas port near my face. I already have an AR so I sold it for an mp5 clone sbr build. I have more fun with that.
View Quote

I have one. You get smoke in your face. The port is on the other side of the gun from your face but it's still a lot by your face, and since they're semi LH/RH with parts there is a plastic cover near your face which also leaks smoke on your face. Someone made a gasketed aluminum cover to replace the plastic one, but I went cheap and put tape over the plastic cover. It helps a bit and I'll probably order the cover.

I bought the Geiselle super sabra trigger pack and the lightning bow trigger on black friday but haven't installed it yet.

My first outing had quite a few failures, and the failure was tough to eject and dented the hell out of a brass case.  My little brother wanted to shoot it, and at the time I didn't care for the tavor over reliability. I told him he had to clean the barrel since I won't be shooting it for a long time. Not only did he clean the barrel, but he took apart the gun and cleaned it up. I assume there was some heavy packing grease in there swapped with some fresh oil because it's perfectly reliable now.

The new X95 is considerably lighter, and uses an AR style mag release, but there have been complaints on accuracy. I'm not sure how accurate a CQB rifle needs to be.

If/when I clear my house after a false alarm at night I'd pick a tavor over my AR but mostly because I don't have a short barrelled AR. I'd also pick a handgun because that fits in my nightstand and it's the closest to me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I like mine, handles really well easy to clean. As said before it's fun to shoot something besides an AR sometimes....
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Have a Gen 1 (SAR) IDF version and I love the ergos and balance, don't love the trigger. Consistently shoot 2MOA from a rest using an MX3 integrated magnifier with the M21. Has no trouble with my magpul Gen 2 or 3 mags, USGI or lancers. D60 drum fits fine, but throws off the balance. Gassy when suppressed, bit quieter than my ARs.

I just bought an X95. Balances better than the SAR, same pluses and a much better trigger. I have shot it for groups, however.

I find bullpup a have a certain "pointability" that I prefer over ARs. I own the AUG, FS2000 and a Kel-Tec RDB (and two PS90s). I prefer the Tavor X95 to all of them. I think they offer allot of advantages and make for good CQB guns; ultimately, it's your choice, but I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Go shoot one before you buy. I was ready to buy and didn't like the way it felt and shot. As you can see here, others really like them. Mounds or Almond Joy
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Ive shot tavors, but prefer the aug. Tavor feels cheap and flexes alot. The new model doesnt group well. I miss selling my aug, but sold it because youll find it doesnt do anything a ar cant do cheaper
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#21]
No.  Stop.  Don't.

Said no one ever on ARF.  

Buy it, a different rifle, or both.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I want an X95 in the worst way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#23]
To reply to the OP's question - parts availability sucks. IWI isn't making everything available, but they'll gladly allow you to send your carbine back to them and charge you more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:54:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Im in the same spot, dyin to get one...but, Im on fence.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#25]
PSA is having shipping issues but I just ordered one from them for $1599
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Can you get Lovie as your personal instructor?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Tavor?  Shit, save your money, Desert Tech has the MDR coming out...any day now they say, probably Monday!!

/sarcasm

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#28]
The only reason that I have one is that I didn't have one before. 

It's fun to shoot, it looks cool, it fits a niche, and it's accurate enough for what it's designed for, but I'd choose a mid to high end AR if I could choose only one 5.56.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I panic bought one 1 1/2 weeks before the election.  Actually it was just really an excuse to buy it but it is officially my MAGA gun now.   I shot my friends Gen1 and really like it.   The X95 trigger is 10x better than the Gen1.   The new position of the mag release is really nice.   I need to put my flash hider/qd for my Saker on it to test it with that.  I have heard its hit and miss with getting a face full of gas with a can.  I will probably end up getting the sealed left cover.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Expensive; less so these days, but $1400 is still a pretty penny. Trigger's heavy and you're stuck with a full handguard instead of a trigger guard.  LOP is fairly long unless you spring for a contoured buttpad. Sling options are very limited if you don't like QD swivels, but there are some interesting ways to get around that; Magpul paraclip adapter for QD cups, BFG U-Loop, and a Proctor sling are my preference. I remove the rear QD cup and loop the paracord through the hole, mount the Paraclip adapter to the front QD cup, and use the U-Loop to mount the sling. I bounced back and forth between that setup, and Magpul's RSA mounted on the top rail.

Other than these minor issues, it's awesome. Comes with BUIS built in, including a tritium front post, and a cleaning kit, IIRC. If you use QD swivels, then the gun comes with everything you need right out of the box, aside from ammo and more mags. The Israeli techniques designed around this rifle are worth looking into, by the way.

16.5" or 18", you can't really go wrong, since they're both shorter than a 11.5" SBR AR15, unless you run the stock completely collapsed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Get an AUG.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I got one on a trade.

Its cool and you can wing it around one armed and be accurate.

That said it gets shot probably the least.  I dropped a trigger pack/trigger in it and a MI rail/light combo which looks and functions great but its just not my thing.

Id send it down the road for a 9mm AR or MP5.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Get an AUG.
View Quote

Worth repeating. Get an AUG.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#34]
forget the Tavor and the Aug, I want a Galil in 5.56 or 7.62x51  and not really interested in the ACE
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#35]
I really wanted one too, until I shot one. Just wasn't for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one.  I fucking hate it.  The trigger sucks so bad it will hurt your hand after firing it often.  It's heavy, plastic-y.  Just not for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#37]
I love mine.  It's short, accurate enough, easy to clean, and uses the same mags and ammo I already use.  I don't shoot my stuff from the bench, so it's as accurate as I can be.  I did wind up getting the contoured buttpad, X95 trigger pack, and MI for end, but I had mine before the X95 came out.  If I was doing it again, I would just buy the X95 these days.

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I like mine, but like the AUG better.

It's a gassy gun.  even with duct tape on the unused port cover.

Not me shooting:

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I like mine alot ..... It's different and fun to shoot

Balances great with a suppressor .... Yes it's gassy but I don't find it any worse than my MK18 SBR .... I have never had a malfunction

I recommend it
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#40]

I'm happy with my X95.  It does what I expect it to do.

It's a complement to my ARs, not a replacement for them.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Trigger is meh.  

View Quote

As someone who's owned a few Tavors and now only owns SR-15'/25's/30's, I'd take this mans advice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a SAR and a X95
both turn into mini 14 level shotguns when they get hot

1.5-2" cold  3-4" hot  with cheap ball , have not tried anything good in it

I still however really like them both

but really warming up to my AUG it shoots very well 1.5" with cheap ball , one hole 10 shot groups with FGMM
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#43]
The 16" X95 is only 3" longer than a 7.5" AR pistol. I suspect the heaviness in the rear would balance out with the addition of accessories to the front, and it's not /that/ heavy. If I were to compare the way the overall build of the X95 feels compared to any of the ARs that I've handled, I would say that if your standard AR was a Dell laptop, the X95 would be a MacBook Pro.

ETA: I've not fired mine yet, so I can't say how it performs, but I'm not that great of a shooter and I suspect it's probably more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#44]
The TAR-21 and X-95 weigh almost the same. For some reason the X-95 feels lighter. I actually prefer how the X-95 feels in hand. It feels sleeker. I still love my TAR though. I say get both!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I really like the idea of a short rifle with a full-length barrel, but once I played with a Tavor I found I didn't like the trigger. The weight was a problem, too. Bullpup triggers are notoriously bad because of all the linkage in the mechanism.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I've had the Tavor for a while.  Mine is a sub-2K serial number.  I love this rifle.  Portable, accurate and runs like a top.  I just recently put a Geissle trigger pack in it and it made it that much better.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I really like the idea of a short rifle with a full-length barrel, but once I played with a Tavor I found I didn't like the trigger. The weight was a problem, too. Bullpup triggers are notoriously bad because of all the linkage in the mechanism.
View Quote

Geissele will fix that problem quickly.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
$1,900 for a 4 MOA rifle, nope.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I want one also. Just too much $$.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top