Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2005 1:09:27 PM EDT
JUST WHEN I THINK THAT THINGS CAN'T POSSIBLY GET ANYMORE "PC", THIS STEAMING PILE OF HORSESHIT PLOPS INTO VIEW!

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4570301.stm

Battle must not 'bash' French

A re-enactment of the Battle of Trafalgar will not 'bash' the French, Royal Navy says.

A re-enactment of the Battle of Trafalgar is not an opportunity for "French-bashing", says the Royal Navy.

Instead of the British taking on a French/Spanish fleet at next month's event to mark the battle's bicentenary a "red" force will take on a "blue".

Navy organisers fear visiting officials may be embarrassed at seeing their side beaten, The Sunday Times reported.

Portsmouth MP Mike Hancock said an event which did not acknowledge who the enemy was is "absolute twaddle".

The Lib Dem MP said: "If we are going to re-enact it we should do it properly. I am sure the French do not pull any punches when they celebrate Napoleon's victories.

"The French will be there - let's not rub it in but at least be accurate. I see no reason why we should not be out there proud as punch proclaiming it."

He said it was unlikely the decision was made by a serving naval officer and concluded it must have been "a faceless bureaucrat somewhere who thinks their next posting might be in Paris." ()

One event sponsor said: "Surely 200 years on we can afford to gloat a bit."

"Not even the French can try and get snooty about this."

Official literature for the event refers to "an early 19th-century sea battle" instead of the Battle of Trafalgar, The Sunday Times said.

Fireworks

Organisers have confirmed there will be no "sides" at the Trafalgar 200 event on 28 June, which is taking place off Southsea, near Portsmouth, it added.

The Ministry of Defence said: "This is not a historical re-enactment. It is a piece of theatre, and not supposed to be historically accurate."

The spectacle will involve tall ships in a mock battle alongside fireworks, lights and music.

Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson, whose fleet was based at Portsmouth, famously led his sailors to victory in 1805.

His 27 ships defeated the combined French and Spanish fleet of 33 ships, sinking or capturing 22 vessels off Spain.

Nelson died during the battle but his victory paved the way for a century of British naval supremacy.

A spokeswoman for the Royal Navy said of the event: "This is an illustration and theatre on water. () (I'm sure all those that fought and died for England would appreciate their sacrifice being PC'ed down to "theatre", wouldn' they?)

"Nelson is featured, but we are not billing it as Britain versus France. This will not be a French-bashing opportunity."
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not like they'd win anything regardless.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretend history…

Damn why don’t they just pretend Nelson never lived and Napoleon was a doorman.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Now, as some of you guys know, I work for the Royal Navy… lets just say, I am not happy…

I am fucking sick of this Euro PC fucking bullshit!  Fuck France, Fuck the EU, Fuck Liberals and Fuck all those Kumbaya fuckers who think all the fucking world needs is a big fucking 'group hug'… fuck them all!

BTW… I am producing some of the Official publicity material for this comic opera… the 'Official' stuff will toe the 'party line', (I need the job after all)… but I am also working on a 'private' non PC poster.

The Royal Navy… PoWning the Phrench since 1805

ANdy

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Mark my words, political correctness is the doom of Europe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now, as some of you guys know, I work for the Royal Navy… lets just say, I am not happy…

I am fucking sick of this Euro PC fucking bullshit!  Fuck France, Fuck the EU, Fuck Liberals and Fuck all those Kumbaya fuckers who think all the fucking world needs is a big 'group hug'… fuck them all!

BTW… I am producing some of the Official publicity material for this comic opera… the 'Official' stuff will toe the 'party line', (I need the job after all)… but I am also working on a 'private' non PC poster.

The Royal Navy… Pown3ning the Phrench since 1805

ANdy

Hey man...don't hold it in, ok? Tell us how you really feel. Keeping it pent up inside just isn't good for you, you know?

I'd love to see the "private" poster once you're done with it
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
() (I'm sure all those that fought and died for England would appreciate their sacrifice being PC'ed down to "theatre", wouldn' they?)

Indeed. Nothing less than a spit and slap in the face of those men and their families.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am fucking sick of this Euro PC fucking bullshit!  Fuck France, Fuck the EU, Fuck Liberals and Fuck all those Kumbaya fuckers who think all the fucking world needs is a big 'group hug'… fuck them all!

ANdy

Huh... I don't think you made your feelings clear enough.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
cheese eating surrender monkeys....

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It's like kids' soccer matches where no one's allowed to win, lest it hurt the losers' feelings.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]
The Phrench Navy are even more lame than their army (if such a thing is possible)… can anyone name a SINGLE Phrench naval victory since 1805?…

'Hurt their feelings'… I'll hurt some 'feelings' when I'm back on duty Monday….

Gotta go now… Mrs Vito says I'm going to bust a blood vessel if I don't calm down…

Andy
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
riThat's why "the Incredibles" was such a great movie.....................

From the movie

"We're finding more and more ways to celebrate mediocrity"

"Saying everyone is special, is another way of saying no one is"

If there are no losers, that also means there are no winners - Oly-M4gery, just now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Heh! Bashing the French is Precisely what Nelson's Cannon Balls did.

England Expects Everyman To Do His Duty!

(Nelson's way of saying: Fuck Em)
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Phrench Navy are even more lame than their army (if such a thing is possible)… can anyone name a SINGLE Phrench naval victory since 1805?…

'Hurt their feelings'… I'll hurt some 'feelings' when I'm back on duty Monday….

Gotta go now… Mrs Vito says I'm going to bust a blood vessel if I don't calm down…

Andy

Go have a few pints and as your drinking them, savoir the thought that the Royal Navy has kicked their asses for 200 years  also savoir the fact the British Army has been owning them even longer.  The old Longbowmen had a nice saying and gesture for the Frogs.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm torn on this issue.

On the one hand, I hate the French (like any decent human being should).

But on the other hand, the war-criminal and pirate, Nelson, did firebomb Copenhagen.

Just kidding - Andy is 100% right in his outrage .  It was a GREAT victory for the brits, and any re-enactment should celebrate that. If they're not going to re-enact it and celebrate it properly, why even bother .  

Who gives a shit if the losers like it or not?  Did anyone consult Germany to see if they approved of the celebrations of VE-day??  Should we stop celebrating the liberation of Europe if the Germans decide it makes them feel bad??

Political Correctness is a horrible thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey Vito, do you guys get pissed on the 4th of July?

CW
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
As if the French losing in this reactment would be a surprise.

wganz

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am fucking sick of this Euro PC fucking bullshit!  Fuck France, Fuck the EU, Fuck Liberals and Fuck all those Kumbaya fuckers who think all the fucking world needs is a big fucking 'group hug'… fuck them all!

ANdy

Funny shit ANdy. Come on, admit it - you're a closet Francophile. Just say it and it will be OK.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#18]
The Batley Townswomen's Guild have already re-enacted the battle of Trafalgar:

Professor R.J. Gumby has fantastic new information about Trafalgar that should be listened to, as he says it was actually fought near Cudworth because Drake was too clever for the Spanish fleet.

I saw it on a documentary narrated by this woman:

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:48:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Yum, yum, yum.  Carol Cleveland in her prime.

Eat that up with a spoon.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe they should invite a dignitary with a congruent cluelessness about history

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:03:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ANdy

So what's your point?

Hey! I want a copy of the "unofficial" materials!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
gfx.filmweb.pl/p/8476/po.28307.jpg

Yum, yum, yum.  Carol Cleveland in her prime.

Eat that up with a spoon.  

You should get the DVD with episode 11 of MPFC on it. You get to see Ms. Cleveland in full stockings and garters and everything.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey Vito, do you guys get pissed on the 4th of July?

CW

Actually, no we don't!  Plenty of people here have a beer and a 'dog on your Independence Day!

ANdy
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top