Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:08:25 PM EDT
Taking care of a gal right now with a minimal envenomation.  Mild swelling to the foot with no bruising.  I'll watch her another couple of hours, but she will likely not require antivenin.

Moderate envenomations (swelling and bruising of entire extremity) and severe envenomations (swelling and bruising past the extremity with abnormal platelet count and coagulation parameters) require antivenin and admission to an ICU.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot every damn rattlesnake I see. A friend of mine jammed his undercutter. He got off of the tractor and tried to pull the jam out and there was a rattler in it. It got him on the arm. He is 12 miles on very rough roads from a clinic. He damn near lost his arm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#2]
She has a little more swelling, so she's getting 4 vials of antivenin and admitted to be observed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
How did she get bit?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Standing on a gravel driveway and felt it.  She can't say for sure what it looked like, because it sounds like she panicked quite a bit.  She had one small puncture wound on her foot with a spot of blood on it.  At first she had minimal pain and no swelling, but over the course of several hours, the swelling started to get worse.

The safe assumption to make is that it is a bite and to treat it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't rattlesnake bites go necrotic?

I don't know what causes it, but I know it ain't pretty.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You could say that
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

Ouch.  Now I think those snake shaking religious nut balls are even more crazy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

DAYUM
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Crotalus Atrox or WDB Western Diamondback envenomation I would bet.

WDB are the MOST aggressive of all the Crotalus family
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#10]
One of the few good things about Michigan is that we don't have those fuckers.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

We have timber rattlesnakes around here.  One of the most venomous but they have a good temperment.  I have come across quite a few and close to half won't even rattle.  They just lay there and let you pass.  Eastern Diamondbacks on the other hand a complete different animal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You sure about that?

www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12201-32995--,00.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a huge rattler dead on the Natchez trace while coming home from deer camp the other day .... Im glad it was road kill ...

in the woods ...Would rather encounter a big one than a small one though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have timber rattlesnakes around here.  One of the most venomous but they have a good temperment.  I have come across quite a few and close to half won't even rattle.  They just lay there and let you pass.  Eastern Diamondbacks on the other hand a complete different animal.

This has been my experience as well.  There have been several times where I have found myself within striking range of a canebreak () where they do nothing.

I found my chocolate lab sniffing one once.  It started to slither away, and Zoe just wanted to play with it!
I have never felt so hopelessly desperate.  I ended up shooting that snake as it was in my parent's driveway where my niece and nephew (and dogs) play.
I usually just leave snakes be, even poisonous ones.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

Holy Crap!!!!  That is hardcore!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:34:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Do many people have bad reactions to antivenin?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:37:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

Jeez, I just ate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

I live in a rural setting and have a small area, 1/2 acre, that sometimes stays wet until mid summer before I can mow it. I find 3 or 4 of them a year in there when I do mow it. Sometimes they "accidentally" end up under the 54" mowing deck. I don't do it on "purpose" but I have a 10 year old that loves to play in her back yard with her dog.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Wait unill she gets the hospital bill for the antivenom - I have insurance and my 3 day stay ended up costing about 12,000 - the antivenom was about $3000 a vial! - but better than being messed up - the new antivenom works on most common snakes, so if you aren't sure what bit you it should still work, People can have reactions to the antivenom, they start out with a small amount to make sure you are ok, then up the dose to treat the bite. The swelling stopped progressing almost immediately after receiving the antivenom -
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I sure am glad we don't have poisonous snakes in TN.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Two years ago while riding my mountain bike near the red river i nearly ran over a 5 .5 ft long rattler! I stopped within inches of it after not seeing it till the last second.  I slowly stepped backward about ten to twelve ft and took my camera out of my camel back and got some really good pics.  I'll see if I can dig them up..
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

All I can say is.....DAMN!   One more reason for me to leave snakes alone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

We do
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You sure about that?

"said the dead man"

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Bloody hell, that's nasty.
I'm glad we don't have anything as bad as that over here

Mark
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We do

+1.

Copperheads I can deal with - not very aggresive.

It's the cottonmouths I can't stand.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#27]
/\
/\
/\
/\
+1

CM's are nasty!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Do many people have bad reactions to antivenin?

For many years the only option was a polyvalent antivenin made from horse serum.  Since it was comprised of so many different antibodies, the rate of allergic reaction was fairly high--up to 25%, though few of these were severe.  Every time I gave that stuff I was always prepared to treat anaphylaxis with an epinephrine drip on standby.  Serum sickness, which results in very painful muscles and joints for several days to weeks, happened about 85% of the time.

CroFab, the new (4yrs) antivenin is a monoclonal sheep-derived antibody.  Incidence of allergic reaction and serum sickness are both less than 5% with no reported cases of anaphylaxis.

The polyvalent product would require 20-40 vials to treat a significant envenomation, whereas CroFab can do the job with 4-6 vials most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not too sure about the CroFab, but the old stuff has been compared to having liquid fire traveling through your veins. I don't really remember most of my snake bite experience, I was in ICU for a week, and doped up on all sorts of shit I can neither spell nor pronounce. I was bitten on the hand by a ~12" baby atrox. I do remember that my left arm ended up swelling to become larger than my leg. My mom tells me about it every now and then, swears up and down that she has no idea how I still even have my arm, much less 100% usage with no visible damage.

I've seen atrox bites that more or less destroy every piece of soft tissue in the area..yet you can't even tell I was bitten, unless you look really close and see the scars from the bite. Someone was looking out for me that day.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

WHOA!!!

Holy shit!

That could very well have been deadly
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could say that

WHOA!!!

Holy shit!

That could very well have been deadly

'Merely a flesh wound!'
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

buuuulllshit!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

buuuulllshit!

I think about two or three people, if that, in Michigan are bitten every year by our snakes, and nobody dies.  Not true in the South
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:39:02 PM EDT
[#34]
While I know I will get flamed for this, I think they are a beautiful animal. Rattlesnakes are the most evolved snake on the planet, especially the Mojave rattlesnake. It's venom is both hemotoxic and neurotoxic. It's so potent that it has its own name, Mojave toxin. These snakes can see in the infrared spectrum. They can track their prey from the scent of their venom. No I don't have regular exposure to these animals, so I don't know the fear of being bitten. But it is another sign that we are not absolute rulers of our world. Just like the hikers in CA learn when the mountain lions come. That's why people won't face an animal on equal terms.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
While I know I will get flamed for this, I think they are a beautiful animal. Rattlesnakes are the most evolved snake on the planet, especially the Mojave rattlesnake. It's venom is both hemotoxic and neurotoxic. It's so potent that it has its own name, Mojave toxin. These snakes can see in the infrared spectrum. They can track their prey from the scent of their venom. No I don't have regular exposure to these animals, so I don't know the fear of being bitten. But it is another sign that we are not absolute rulers of our world. Just like the hikers in CA learn when the mountain lions come. That's why people won't face an animal on equal terms.

We are when well armed
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you for making my point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top