Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 6:29:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 6:34:37 AM EDT by Jon_C_]
Per FNC. Mapes + 3 more are gone. Rather retiring as previously stated. Link & story below.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:32:23 AM EDT
It's about time already.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:33:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:33:55 AM EDT
Full Investigation in PDF

Four CBS News employees, including three executives, have been ousted for their role in preparing and reporting a disputed story about President Bush’s National Guard service.

The action was prompted by the report of an independent panel that concluded that CBS News failed to follow basic journalistic principles in the preparation and reporting of the piece. The panel also said CBS News had compounded that failure with “rigid and blind” defense of the 60 Minutes Wednesday report.

Asked to resign were Senior Vice President Betsy West, who supervised CBS News primetime programs; 60 Minutes Wednesday Executive Producer Josh Howard; and Howard’s deputy, Senior Broadcast Producer Mary Murphy. The producer of the piece, Mary Mapes, was terminated.

The correspondent on the story, CBS News anchor Dan Rather, is stepping down as anchor of CBS Evening News.

The panel said a “myopic zeal” to be the first news organization to broadcast a groundbreaking story about Mr. Bush’s National Guard service was a key factor in explaining why CBS News had produced a story that was neither fair nor accurate and did not meet the organization’s internal standards.

CBS News
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:37:45 AM EDT
Why can't they just call this bullshit what it is?......................a Bush hit piece by liberal partisans................PERIOD!CBS
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:40:33 AM EDT
Well, it's great that these 3 people are getting canned and Rather being put out to pasture. But in the end, will it really matter? We know whoever replaces them will just be more liberal shitheads.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:41:16 AM EDT
I wouldnt trust the pdf file on CBS News! I'll look for that elsewhere..
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:44:53 AM EDT

th
Katie Couric from The Today Show is suppose to be up for Ra ers spot
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:49:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DEATHDEALER:

th

Shit, if that's the case, we go from bad to worse.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:04:22 AM EDT
For post 3000, I think I'll say w00t to this story.

Even if they're replaced by more partisan Liberals, establishing a precedent of being fired for blatantly fabricating hit pieces can only be good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:05:09 AM EDT

Why can't they just call this bullshit what it is?......................a Bush hit piece by liberal partisans................PERIOD!CBS

A "groundbreaking story" my butt. It was an attempt to influence the election.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:16:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:
Well, it's great that these 3 people are getting canned and Rather being put out to pasture. But in the end, will it really matter? We know whoever replaces them will just be more liberal shitheads.

It's pretty much symbolic corporate face-saving amoung it's peers. Things will be same-old, same-old CBS News, ie the Commnunist Broadcasting Station.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:18:10 AM EDT

Well, it's great that these 3 4 people are getting canned and Rather being put out to pasture. But in the end, will it really matter? We know whoever replaces them will just be more liberal shitheads.

Mary Mapes was an upcoming lefty producer, who could have been counted on to produce many left wing hit pieces. Getting rid of her is a good step. And whoever follows her has a good example of what happens to those who cross the line of pushing bogus stories.

It's a good thing. I'll take it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:18:59 AM EDT

th

Shit, if that's the case, we go from bad to worse.

Bad to much much worse.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:19:26 AM EDT
...and to think they almost got away with it......
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:25:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:
...and to think they almost got away with it......

Yup, and all thanks to the keen eye of a very smart blogger.

At least now with the web, there is a means to distribute info without relying on the mainstream media. Had such an incident happened in the 80's, this story would have been bought as the truth and Bush would have been badly damaged.

Thank goodness we have Fox News and the internet to counter the bullshit leftists.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:58:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 8:27:26 AM EDT by warlord]
Hollyweird is a really small place, those folks probably already have jobs lined up. They will probably move their desk over to the next building etc because they are pretty highly "thought-of" in the TV new circles. Since they were criticzing Bush, I would not be damaging to their careers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:20:55 AM EDT
Holy shit, anyone reading the 234 pages report on the this?(the .pdf linked above)
It's worth a quick skim atleast, some serious fuck ups in there. Calls to the Kerry campaign prior to the airing, ignoring what some experts had said about the documents and lying about what others said etc.... and I'm only on page 15
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:31:45 AM EDT
So news has become a case of "Who's first...not who's right"?

Sad
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:41:59 AM EDT
Wonder if they would have been fired if Bush had lost?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:44:10 AM EDT
Firing 4 people's result: Garbage In = Garbage Out. Four exact people will replace those who left.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:46:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ONG:
Wonder if they would have been fired if Bush had lost?

Nope a simple re-organization to hid them until the smoke clears.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:54:27 AM EDT
.......while Heyward and Gunga Dan dodge the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:51:37 PM EDT
Best thing since the Starr Report.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:30:01 PM EDT
They apologized to the American people but did they ever apologize to GWB? He was the one that took the unsubstantiated hit from this story.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:32:18 PM EDT
They lost credibility with me when they said they could not prove a leftist-political agenda was behind the piece - an attempt to influence the election that was a few weeks away.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:35:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:39:33 PM EDT
I cant believe that they did not see a political agenda. Its was so obvious and why no comment on Kerrys SEALED military records? It will be interesting to see if these people are hired again. I have no doubt they will be working again. The dude kept saying how accomplished there people were but had just made mistakes.
Top Top