Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/10/2007 7:43:35 AM EST
Time to time the nutjobs in College Democrats and Students for Democratic Society slam the Opinion section with their disapproval of just about everything...so it was a pleasant surprise to read this today, written by a female student no less.

Police can't be relied on for everything

A couple recent events, the deaths of Ruschak and Barwick and the armed robbery at Pegasus Landing, brought my attention to one very important document: the U.S. Constitution. I'm specifically referring to the Second Amendment, which guarantees the right to bear arms.

In response to a recent article, "Tragedy exposes gaps in state laws," I would like to point out that it is not the job of the local police to baby-sit individual citizens. Police are not legally obligated to attend to individual citizens; rather, they are obligated to attend to the population at large.

Domestic violence laws are already out of hand; as it stands, if a neighbor calls the police to report a domestic dispute, and if the police arrive only to find out that the two were simply having a loud, nonviolent argument, someone must still go to jail.

I understand that this law is in place to protect women who are too afraid to let the police take their partners to jail, but in doing this the law has traded justice for safety.

While the afore-mentioned article says it would have helped to have a police officer stationed in front of her home, I think it would have been just as effective if Barwick had had a gun in her lap.

The article regarding Pegasus Landing was disturbing to say the least, given that I also live in that apartment complex. In the contract that all residents sign at Pegasus Landing, there is a section regarding possession of firearms; residents are not allowed to have them. I am fairly certain that just about all student-affiliated apartment complexes and dormitories have similar clauses in their contracts. It is regulations like this that make criminals feel secure in walking into an apartment, armed and even unarmed, and taking everything from it.

I would say that gun laws are about right, but the social taboo associated with owning guns is way off. People seem to think that owning or wanting to own guns and keep them in one's home for means of protection is a little nutty. "What do you need a gun for," they would think, "Unless you have enemies or you are a criminal?" It is as if owning a gun is some kind of faux pas.

If you want to know what an innocent, well-meaning citizen needs a gun for, these are two very fine examples.

The founding fathers expected us to defend our own homesteads; they would be disgusted to see police standing guard in front of someone's home because they were getting death threats. Being able to and knowing you are able to defend yourself, if need be is, part of feeling secure in one's person. It is also your natural, constitutional and American right, and it is a shame that so few people understand and take advantage of this simply because it has been made to be so taboo.

Whenever I can afford a gun, I will be getting one. In the meantime, I will keep a ratchet on my nightstand and close at hand.

Heidi Rae Hosmer

Psychology and Political Science
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:45:43 AM EST
Not bad. Had I the money and time, I'd fly down and buy her a gun and a training course. Of course I have neither.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:47:08 AM EST

The article regarding Pegasus Landing was disturbing to say the least, given that I also live in that apartment complex.

"A conservative is a liberal who is (about to be) mugged."
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:51:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 7:51:51 AM EST by killswitch1982]

Originally Posted By Nostromo:
Time to time the nutjobs in College Democrats and Students for Democratic Society slam the Opinion section with their disapproval of just about everything...so it was a pleasant surprise to read this today, written by a female student no less.

Police can't be relied on for everything

A couple recent events, the deaths of Ruschak and Barwick and the armed robbery at Pegasus Landing, brought my attention to one very important document: the U.S. Constitution. I'm specifically referring to the Second Amendment, which guarantees the right to bear arms.

In response to a recent article, "Tragedy exposes gaps in state laws," I would like to point out that it is not the job of the local police to baby-sit individual citizens. Police are not legally obligated to attend to individual citizens; rather, they are obligated to attend to the population at large.

Domestic violence laws are already out of hand; as it stands, if a neighbor calls the police to report a domestic dispute, and if the police arrive only to find out that the two were simply having a loud, nonviolent argument, someone must still go to jail.

I understand that this law is in place to protect women who are too afraid to let the police take their partners to jail, but in doing this the law has traded justice for safety.

While the afore-mentioned article says it would have helped to have a police officer stationed in front of her home, I think it would have been just as effective if Barwick had had a gun in her lap.

The article regarding Pegasus Landing was disturbing to say the least, given that I also live in that apartment complex. In the contract that all residents sign at Pegasus Landing, there is a section regarding possession of firearms; residents are not allowed to have them. I am fairly certain that just about all student-affiliated apartment complexes and dormitories have similar clauses in their contracts. It is regulations like this that make criminals feel secure in walking into an apartment, armed and even unarmed, and taking everything from it.

I would say that gun laws are about right, but the social taboo associated with owning guns is way off. People seem to think that owning or wanting to own guns and keep them in one's home for means of protection is a little nutty. "What do you need a gun for," they would think, "Unless you have enemies or you are a criminal?" It is as if owning a gun is some kind of faux pas.

If you want to know what an innocent, well-meaning citizen needs a gun for, these are two very fine examples.

The founding fathers expected us to defend our own homesteads; they would be disgusted to see police standing guard in front of someone's home because they were getting death threats. Being able to and knowing you are able to defend yourself, if need be is, part of feeling secure in one's person. It is also your natural, constitutional and American right, and it is a shame that so few people understand and take advantage of this simply because it has been made to be so taboo.

Whenever I can afford a gun, I will be getting one. In the meantime, I will keep a ratchet on my nightstand and close at hand.

Heidi Rae Hosmer

Psychology and Political Science

And a chick in two of the most libtard, left wing moonbat subjects! GOOD ON YA CHICKA!

I say we track her down and make her an honorary member.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:56:24 AM EST
Not bad. I'm tempted to look her up and loan her a gun until she gets the money. Being an alumni of that school and all (UCF - Go Golden Knights).
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:58:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 7:59:36 AM EST by badfish274]

Originally Posted By killswitch1982:
And a chick in two of the most libtard, left wing moonbat subjects! GOOD ON YA CHICKA!

I say we track her down and make her an honorary member.

I noticed that too and about shit myself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:23:41 AM EST
My CHL instructor related a quote that I think applies to the social stigma the article author refers to.

IIRC, the quote is

"We've been told that violence is not the answer to so many things, that now we believe that violence is the answer to nothing"

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:01:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
My CHL instructor related a quote that I think applies to the social stigma the article author refers to.

IIRC, the quote is

"We've been told that violence is not the answer to so many things, that now we believe that violence is the answer to nothing"

So true. Seems like we have forgotten how to have reasoned, rational, factual conversation and have replaced it with "Guns sometimes make ouchies so they hurt my feeling and must be bad". "I feel" has replaced "I think".
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:03:29 AM EST
take up a collection for her?
Top Top