Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 3:30:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel dumber having read that thread...maybe I should work for that company...I could give AT LEAST that thorough of an analysis and I'll do it for half of whatever they paid the other guy....
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotta love the .mil paying out for a study that everyone knew would come to the obvious conclusion.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I was told the Super Hornet is a very different aircraft from the Hornet, and not just a Hornet with mods.

The F/A-22 is indeed a revolutionary new aircraft but I'm guessing there will be more Super Hornets than Raptors flying around before we get more drones.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was told the Super Hornet is a very different aircraft from the Hornet, and not just a Hornet with mods.

Correct, the two are only look-alikes, it was completely redesigned from the ground up with the only restriction of a similar look.  Even the engine inlets have different designs (round on the regular vs rectangular on the super, easiest way to tell them apart without a size reference).

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
We need Super Hornets and upgraded F-15s just as much as we need the Raptor...and the F-35.

Now, if we could just find a way to put the F-4 Phantom back into service...without being target drones.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:29:29 AM EDT
[#6]
If we can get a lot of F-18 Super Hornets in the air faster and cheaper than the F-22/F-35, I say just go with the F-18 Super Hornet. Whatever works the best that is the cheapest to buy and easiest to maintain... The stealth stuff works great for strategic/surgical strikes/special operations but having that as the primary fighter jet is pricey and inefficient.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#7]
That must be RAND's "training wheels" analysis.  Here boy-genius, start with an easy one.  Maybe they will do a 9mm vs .45 analysis next.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:52:31 AM EDT
[#9]
So I guess supercruise will be an incremental improvement?  Maybe they can add it in block 20.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That must be RAND's "training wheels" analysis.  Here boy-genius, start with an easy one.  Maybe they will do a 9mm vs .45 analysis next.

Or 30-06 vs 308
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The opearative term is 'based on an existing design'…………

ANdy

If it works, it works. Why re-design the wheel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top