Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2002 6:49:51 PM EDT
I bought a rescue 8 descender and have been practicing from a pull up bar attached to the rafters in my garage.  How does one successfully tie off as to go hands free?  I have been trying to break with the right hand, and then place my left hand above the right, then swing them both over and try to hook the rope.  SOmetimes I get it, sometimes I don't.  Does the rope coming across actually go beneath the lead rope? (rope tied up)

I was sweating balls trying to do this, and my biceps are burnt.  I must not be doing things right.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
If I'm picturing what you are saying right, yes, after you bring the working end around your left side and front, you slide it under the lead end coming into the 8.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Might I suggest getting some professional training on the use of this equipment?  A rescue 8 is a specialized item and needs to be employed correctly for safety.

I can only imagine the fun if an "8 with ears" "unlocked" while one had one finger in their nose and one in their butt while on a free rappel.

If you're at the point you can safely use basic rappelling gear, you should seek out at take a basic course on rescue techiniques.  Generally the focus is on self rescue since it's not terribly difficult to get yourself in a bind climbing or rappeling.  I've had to back off plenty of times and knowing some basic self rescue techniques, made bad situations safer if not stress free.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If I'm picturing what you are saying right, yes, after you bring the working end around your left side and front, you slide it under the lead end coming into the 8.
View Quote

That seemed to make the most sense, but that is a heck of a jolt when you untie. (And takes some muscle) Today I will try to give myself some slack, so when I do untie, I have a few feet to give up some rope until breaking behind the back.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not sure if this is in the "Official book of rappelling", but the way I have always (for many years on many climbs without a single unsafe incident) done it was to wrap the rope around my left( right handed) leg 4-5 times, sit back and do what ever I need to do.  It works wether me feet or on something or not, if I am sitting free air, I wrap it around my  thigh, if my feet are on a wall I wrap it around me knee or lower leg.  

So, I have the rope going through me right hand with my left hand feeding the rope into my 8, pull the rope behind me, use my left leg to catch the rope, start wrapping it around my leg till I have 4-5 good wraps, then sit into it. If I am in free air, I use my left hand to pull the rope high up on my left thigh.  I do settle a little, but after a while I just anticipate the 1-2 foot settle and it isn't hard to guestimate after a few times.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 6:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
For true safety in working hands free, you should be using a break bar rack instead of the rescue 8. All of the high angle rescue classes and instructors and operators use a break bar rack for any rescue of another climber/rappeller as the rescuer will need to invert in order to transfer the load to the rescue rope. Only a bbr can be safely tied off and easily released. We only used to rescue 8 to manage controlled lowering of a victim.

You should also take heed from the members here and get some specific training in rescue techniques.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All of the high angle rescue classes and instructors and operators use a break bar rack for any rescue of another climber/rappeller as the rescuer will need to invert in order to transfer the load to the rescue rope.
View Quote

Not necessarly true wiggy762.  This truly depends on the equipment being utilized at the time.  (I have some cool pics if you want to see them of high angle rescues)

Only a bbr can be safely tied off and easily released.
View Quote

If the 8 with "ears" is used correclty, it is actually easy.  Most people lock an 8 incorrectly and creates the popping/jerking motion needed to "unlock".  Actually, a rack is preferred because of the ability to control decent with either hand, and the rack does not twist the rope like an 8.

You should also take heed from the members here and get some specific training in rescue techniques.
View Quote

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS ADVICE!

As a follow-up, here's how to safely secure yourself on an 8 with "ears".  

1.  Pull the working end straight up and over the right ear.

2.  Go under the loaded line and around the left ear.

3.  Go back under and around the right ear again.

4.  Lastly, use a half-hitch on the left ear to secure the line...

This method prevents the unnecessary strain of pulling the rope across the loaded end and creating the "popping" or "jerking" heard while securing yourself.

frisco

Wiggy762---You coming to the ETH Farm in Oct.  I'll bring my gear and we can jump off the river back down the to river.  That was a good 40ft it looked like.  Probably the highest we can get in that area.  I did have my bag with me last June, but it was just too hot!
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the high angle rescue classes and instructors and operators use a break bar rack for any rescue of another climber/rappeller as the rescuer will need to invert in order to transfer the load to the rescue rope.
View Quote

Not necessarly true wiggy762.  This truly depends on the equipment being utilized at the time.  (I have some cool pics if you want to see them of high angle rescues)
View Quote

You are correct, I guess I should have modified my statement to say that I always use a bbr during rope rescues. It just seems to have a better feel for me and I think it is safer. During training, I saw a bad 20 ft fall when an improperly 'locked' rescue 8 unlocked and released the trainee. BTW, post the pics of the rescues, I'd love to see them.

Wiggy762---You coming to the ETH Farm in Oct.  I'll bring my gear and we can jump off the river back down the to river.  That was a good 40ft it looked like.  Probably the highest we can get in that area.  I did have my bag with me last June, but it was just too hot!
View Quote

I will be there and will try to dust off some of my equipment to bring along.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
We always use a prussik when using either the ladder rack, or the figure 8 with ears. I don't know if that's common, but it's our Department SOP. If it lets go, you only fall about 6 inches.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top