Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2002 2:03:30 PM EDT
Ya think the music or the types of people who listen to / attend this kind of crap "music" had anything to do with it?

Nawwww, whenever they have a rock, country, new age or pop concert they always have a couple of deaths due to random shooting.

This weekend was the "KUBE 93 FM Summer Jam" with lots of hip-hop and rap "artists" like LLCoolJ, Da Brat, Naam Brigade, Rayvon, Mario, Nappy Roots, Usher & etc. Just the kind of thing to attract a pseudo-drive-by shooting.

Fuck Rap.

GORGE - A Seattle man was shot and killed early Saturday and four others were struck by bullets as thousands of concertgoers were leaving the Gorge Amphitheater, Grant County sheriff's officers said.

The shooting, which investigators believe was random, happened shortly before 1 a.m. in the campground next to the concert venue after the hip-hop KUBE Summer Jam, Grant County Chief Deputy Mark Mann said.
[url]http://www.komotv.com/stories/19467.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What'choo talkin bout Willis?[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/afro.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Rap music gives White spoiled brat rich kids the spine their daddy never did.
View Quote

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Woke up this morning to mutherfuck dis and mutherfuck dat. I've been around a long time, so the words are just that to me but I imagine the guy with the 8 year old daughter and 5 and 3 year old sons that live behind the nextdoor idiot really appreciates it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just remember:  ice cubes and a slingshot take care of those pesky subwoofers, and tend to to leave much evidence behind.

FOTBR

(of course, this information is for educational purposes only, and I take no responsibility for anything that anyone might do with any of what I've mentioned)
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I listen to rap-hip/hop. Yes I do and damn proud of it. I listen to rock, classic rock, techno, pop and contemporary jazz. WTF does music got to do with violence!!!!

Like that mother that sued Judas Priest. She said that his son committed violence cause of the lyrics....No your son was stupid cause you ignored him.

Don't tell me that cause I listen to rap I will pop a cap in some mofo's ass? Maybe knock off a liquor store or two.

It's not about the music, its about the up bringing.

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I heard some hip=hop shit for music this morning at about three o clock,from about three blocks away!   I had better never get diagnosed with anything and a short time to live,or me and mr grande will bust some rear speakers with much vengance!

Bob   [8D]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
WARNING:

Rap 'Music' has a very simple rythme (Wow, what a surprise) – and is easily digitalized.

Such simple, repetitive 'music' could easily be keyed to a detonator. While that's true for a lot of 'music', you may want to forget the warning in the case of rap!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to a hip hop concert, it was a pretty terrible experience.  

At rock concerts, it's really festive, people are there to party, rock out, have a good time.  Also, the musicians take their audience seriously and work to actually give a good performance.

The Snoop Dog concert I went to sucked in a million ways, but the thing that was the worst was the atmosphere of the audience.  It wasn't festive, or fun.  Everyone there tried to put up a front of being a badass, tough, menacing.  Lots of people asking what a white boy was doing there. I think the concert itself was maybe 45 minutes long, after a 2 hour wait for it to start.  Lots of fights, homies puffing their chests out, getting in each others' faces.  Just ridiculous, real negative atmosphere.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Rap music is a pitiful fucking excuse for human expression. I could not be paid enough to listen to that shit.[puke]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#11]
After reading these responses I'm left wondering: Why do most people think of gun owners as ignorant white hillbillies?  You are obviously very worldly/open minded people.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
After reading these responses I'm left wondering: Why do most people think of gun owners as ignorant white hillbillies?  You are obviously very worldly/open minded people.
View Quote

[:K]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I try to be open-minded, but I don't remember ever hearing of anyone getting shot at a Beastie Boys, Run-DMC, or Digital Underground show...

I don't have anything against "rap" - it's that "gangsta rap" or whatever they are calling it that I don't like.  When it first came out, rap still managed to tell a story, the "sampling" law hadn't been passed, and most acts (save, perhaps, Milli Vanilli) were actually PLAYING their instruments.

It's the racist, criminal, overtly sexist shit taht I can't stand - and that seems to be what is going on at all the shows where there are shootings.  I am also in agreement about the atmosphere at these shows - I've been to just about everything else (save country - can't stand the stuff) and everybody was having a good time.  These "gangsta" shows are lionizing an aberrant and criminal lifestyle, and these wannabe thugs just get worse every year.

And ignorant white hillbilly?  White, yes.  Hillbilly, maybe (grew up in Northern IN and still remember taking a .22 to school to hunt with on the way home.)  Ignorant?  I'm a self-taught engineer, a mechanic, electrician, plumber, carpenter, machinist, gunsmith, locksmith, computer tech, and several other trades.  I hardly think I qualify as ignorant - and I won't even drag out my last tested IQ score...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

AHAHHAHAHAHA I FORGOT "PARANOID"!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, I shelled out $28 to go to a concert.  I think I qualify as open-minded.  BTW, I'm never attending another hip-hop concert as long as I live.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#16]
What really gets to me is when those 'suburban rap kids' (or even their city counterparts) turn 16, and immediately invest in their own APC.

Now this isn't APC as in 'Armored Personnell Carrier', this is an 'Audio Powered Car' (defined: A personal vehicle where the wattage of the audio system exceeds the rated horsepower of the engine). Yeack... There's a point to a good stereo system, but...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I really don't like rap "music" at all, however, I have nothing against it (even when it is muthafucka this and niggaz that) as long as it is NOT BEING BLASTED from every POS lowrider Honda Accord with blat-blat pipes, or it is not being blasted at 3am on Sunday morning by "Yo-wit it Kid-uh-Hu and hizziz chillin-um dogs" in my neighborhood.

I drive around and have yet to hear anyone else play their "music" (nothing funnier than a full-on dimestore cowboy, the one in Lee jeans with the Skoal ring on the back pocket with either a cowboy hat or a John Deere hat and a Stars and Bars T-shirt on listening to Snoop Doggy Crap in his cowboy Caddilac. Sheese), meaning Country, Rock, Classical, Jazz, Polka, Waltz with the volume set at 11.

If they would just turn it DOWN.

Last time someone blasted music in the shop I took Hy-Sol and glued the volume knob at the "2" setting.
It's nice being in charge. [X]

Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just remember:  ice cubes and a slingshot take care of those pesky subwoofers, and tend to to leave much evidence behind.

FOTBR

(of course, this information is for educational purposes only, and I take no responsibility for anything that anyone might do with any of what I've mentioned)
View Quote

Soneone's watched 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' too many times...

Ice, speakers, ouch... Of course, half the time, owners of overpowered sound systems take care of themselves (blow their equipment up), and then end up in a RadioShack trying to fix their system on the cheap (and insisting it can be done). I hate that job (working for RS - long story, but the short is 'The IT job market sucks right now')...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
as long as it is NOT BEING BLASTED from every POS lowrider Honda Accord with blat-blat pipes,
View Quote

Ah yes, the infamous Farting Hondas... Quite funny (especially the ones which have enough back pressure on the muffler to launch it off the exhaust pipe like a rifle grenade - true story, saw it happen. Wonder what that (restrictive, launchable exhaust) does to his power output? Probably can't even get 100hp)....
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#20]
OK ill admit i listin to rap on occasion. But then again I listin to lots of differnt kinds of music and sometimes I want to hear something new for a change I listin to country rock pop rap and a little bluegrass when I feel like it. I like a little of everything. there is good and bad in each. AA lot of rap Doesnt appeal to me thie kind that you cant hear what there saying because there talking so damn fast. I find rap kind of interesting because those people will say anything. I also think saying rap and shootings go together is stupid. thats the same as saying guns cause shootings. think about it people cause shootings period. Just because I listin to rap doesnt mean I going to go take down the mini mart tomarrow because someone was talking about it on a CD. Yes rap has a bad element to it and some rappers are down and out criminals but there are also people who arnt criminals who rap.
ok rant off sorry for the long post
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rap music gives White spoiled brat rich kids the spine their daddy never did.
View Quote

It's not just a spine, but an image of what a man should be, and how he should act.  Most on these boards probably had strong fathers.  Sometimes physically, and some times mentally.  I remember having a large amount of respect for my dad's mental endurance, and to a lesser extent physical.  He was never boring, nor did I ever think I was more of a man than he was.  Some of these kids' fathers are henpecked accountants (as an example career).  Great breadwinners, but thouroughly lacking in the role model department, especially for hormoned up teenage boys.  Remember how important not being weak was to you?  Can you imagine the impact if you thought your father was weak.

Those kids who don't just listen to gansta rap, but try and live the false image are in deep trouble.  Sometimes they blur the line between the fantasy and reality.  Their egos are artificially inflated, and anything other than praise (props) is considered an offense(dis).  Clearly, the response to being offended is revenge, and hence, the violence associated with the genre...

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#23]
rap taughted me how to kill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
rap taughted me how to kill.
View Quote

I've seen some behavior and shooting styles at the local indoor public range that would remove the sarcasim from your statement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]
A hip, hop, hippety-hop, and the chicken tastes like wood.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#26]
"All music but Rap are unliterate." Jesse Jackson
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#27]
just got eminems new CD along with one by that huge hawaian dude Israel whatever.  I like them both very much.

Don't like the misogny and don't like the cursing, to put it very mildly.  

This sort of sound has been around a while, aerosmith and god knows who else.  Rap itself is not going to go away but will probably get assimilated more into mainstream music like punk did.

I'm a middle-aged white dude who grew up in mississippi but still listens to Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull etc... but God i'm glad i don't have to continue to listen to a 10 year window of music for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No, he's not paranoid, he is just looking at the facts. In your original post you use the words "you are obviously" which means you do not own any guns. And your first post on a gun board is a sarcastic attack on the intelligence of the board members.

In anybody's book, this makes you a [:K]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
God i'm glad i don't have to continue to listen to a 10 year window of music for the rest of my life.
View Quote

Well said, Curt! Same here.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make that "heavily armed white but not so ignorant hillbillies" thank you very much....
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"All music but Rap are unliterate." Jesse Jackson
View Quote
You just made me pee my pants!![8D]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
but God i'm glad i don't have to continue to listen to a 10 year window of music for the rest of my life.
View Quote

Poor guy :P Browsing through my CD collection, I notice that I can actually listen to a 350 year window of music :) God I'm glad I don't have to listen to c[b]rap[/b].
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I'll come right out and admit that I recently bought Eminem's latest CD and have listened (and even enjoyed!) parts of it. "So Empty Without Me" has an awesome beat.

You can tell that there is one screwed up, twisted, frustrated kid behind that microphone.

Which isn't to say that his (or any other gangsta rap, for that matter) isn't complete crap when compared to real music. Some of his lyrics are intense, and at least make you feel for the guy (at least up to the point he got rich, then all bets are off). Other songs, however, are just plain disgusting for no reason at all. Too bad; the kid's got one hell of a talent if he'd just apply it differently.

I don't believe music causes people to go out and kill, etc. However, I'll admit that some songs, "Cop Killer", for instance, can only serve the forces of evil.

Am I contradicting myself? Maybe. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

All I know is that Mozart will live forever. We'll forget the name of every gangsta rapper that has ever lived in oh, say, 50 years, and good ridance.

P.S. - And no, there is no way in hell I'd let my little ones listen to that crap, even if I sometimes do..
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't like the misogny and don't like the cursing, to put it very mildly.  
View Quote

Keep buying those albums; that'll show him! [;)]
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#35]
However, I'll admit that some songs, "Cop Killer", for instance, can only serve the forces of evil.

OOOPs...the song cop-killer was about the forces of evil...it was addressed to some members of the LAPD...who--in the eyes of Ice deserved a bullet....most of them are in jail now...does RAMPART mean anything to you....?
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Music without melody. Bleeh.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#39]
I listen to rap and everything from Britney Spears to opera music----------and turned out fine.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't care what you listen to...Just don't make ME listen to it!

I hate loud punks!

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Bring back Metal, dammit! Do it for the white male teenaged children!

Seriously though, the problem with the rap stuff is it's all phony BS. Some of my clients(fewer all the time, thank god) are rap artists who [s]sing[/s] rap about their "piles o' cash, yo, mountains o' chedda, My diamonds, platinum, gold, jus' gettin bigga & betta." Then these jackasses can't pay their bill for studio time! Oh yeah, then there's "hot Glock on the block, jus' popped me a cop, bla, bla, bla, etc., etc. Most of these clowns couldn't even LOAD a glock.
I always hear from these jokers, "Yo, I wanna cut an album, y'know, and like, so-and-so,he's my financial backer, yo, & he's gonna front the cheese for studio time, staight up." This is invariably the leper-bell of a deadbeat. The lyrics are all fake tough-guy additude and self aggrandizement, & I am just looking for an excuse to stop booking this type of music. (wait a minute, I just gave myself 3 or 4.) It astounds me daily that this stuff is the highest selling genre of music. I have yet to meet one who was reasonably proficient on ANY musical instrument that didn't have a sampler/sequencer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I listen to rap-hip/hop. Yes I do and damn proud of it. I listen to rock, classic rock, techno, pop and contemporary jazz. WTF does music got to do with violence!!!!

Like that mother that sued Judas Priest. She said that his son committed violence cause of the lyrics....No your son was stupid cause you ignored him.

Don't tell me that cause I listen to rap I will pop a cap in some mofo's ass? Maybe knock off a liquor store or two.

It's not about the music, its about the up bringing.

View Quote
I agree about the up bringing, but rap brings everything to such a gutterol low that any idiot can relate( and most idiots do ) whereas rock may require an analization and some intellgence as well as subject matter that requires a little more insight and experience to relate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#43]
to each his own

course ill just make people wonder by blasting
Japananese pop and rock lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Of course rap is not good music but I think it is excellent party music.  Not gangsta rap that talks about killing bitches and hoes but a song with a good beat is great for partying, but not much else.
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 3:03:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No, he's not paranoid, he is just looking at the facts. In your original post you use the words "you are obviously" which means you do not own any guns. And your first post on a gun board is a sarcastic attack on the intelligence of the board members.

In anybody's book, this makes you a [:K]
View Quote

hate to break it to you but I do own one gun...an Ar-15.  Imagine that.  
 I was refering to the general group of gun owners.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top