Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 10:05:52 PM EDT
This is a late post, but I did finally get away from town, forget about the divorce and all that crap for a couple of days, and do some real shooting.  I visited a buddy of mine up in northern WI, helped him set up his backyard rifle range, a pistol range, got up bright and early the next day to shoot.  
Temps were low 50's, damp, and light drizzle.

I liked the pics that were posted of the camo M1A and wanted to share a pic of my camo rifle, and figured I would post the rest of the pics as well.  This was my first time shooting beyond 100 yards with my tweaked Savage rifle and second time shooting beyond 250 period.  The first time was hitting the 450 yard gong at the BRC courtesy of TBK1.  Thanks Mike!

Here is my bud clearing brush from in front of the new 500 yard target we just installed.  Note the house and large machine shed at the bottom of the valley.  We shoot from the back of the machine shed.

[img]www.mountaintop.org/ar/thekill/at500yd.jpg[/img]

Here I am firing off the bench using the bipod.  Rifle is the trusty Savage 110FP tac, I enlarged the barrel channel, reinforced the forearm with aluminum and epoxy, and welded up the one piece base/rings.  Scope is a Trashco 2.5-10X42 Mil Dot.  The camo is Hunter Specialties from a spray can.

[img]www.mountaintop.org/ar/thekill/offbench.jpg[/img]

Here is a 3 shot group fired at 300 yards which is about the middle of the holler:

[img]www.mountaintop.org/ar/thekill/target2.jpg[/img]

And here is a 3 shot group fired on the 500 yard target.  Dialed 12 MOA of up and with a 4-6mph full value wind from left to right, held just off the left of the black.  Needed 13 MOA to be on though.  

[img]www.mountaintop.org/ar/thekill/500yd-target.jpg[/img]

It was a great time and great stress relief!

THANKS TO BRASSPILE FOR HOSTING THE PICS!!

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
how far north were you?  i'm in superior.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice - thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
It's near Eau Claire.
The factory stock has two pillars so it's nominally pillar bedded via a pair of aluminum pillars.  I just opened up the barrel channel to make sure it floated properly.  Thanks BTW...I am pretty happy with the way it shoots.  My 100 yard groups are one ragged hole.
The tasco scope was so nice I got another for my SPR build.  I was disappointed when the second scope came, the crosshairs are too thick.  Optics are still pretty decent.  My buddy was impressed with it, he was sniper qualified at one time and knows his shiznit.  The black rifle in the background is his FN-SPR with a loopie Mk1 on Badger hardware.  We both agreed that the tasco doesn't pass the snob test, and I don't know how waterproof it is, but that rifle hit a concrete driveway from 4 feet and the scope survived with a crushed turret cap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
nice groups!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top