Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/6/2005 1:29:36 PM EDT
We live in Central Virginia in a semi-rural setting. We have a bit of land on a small stocked lake or large pond...and lots of trees and critters. We love it here in our little bucolic setting. We moved here from Camarillo, CA in 1996.

Miz LWilde, I and our two grandkids we're raising just finished a two week vacation to California. We still have family trapped there so we decided to fly out and renew old ties with family and friends, and play a bit. We flew into Ontario. We visited Upland and Ontario, Disneyland Resorts in Anaheim, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Los Osos, Ojai, Ventura, Camarillo, and Oxnard. We also hit the beaches and all the hotel pools and then flew home. Here is my range report.

-Spanish proliferates now and in many areas is the predominant language; heard and read more than English. Where once signage might have been bi-lingual, now often one only sees Spanish. The announcements at Disneyland are now bilingual. Many of the hotel staff do not speak English.

-The brown haze of smog is everwhere. On some days it is really nasty. I had forgotten that.

-The heat was oppressive. I am used to the hot muggy weather in Virginia...but I didn't expect to be so uncomfortable in the "dry heat".

-The relative number of great looking wimminz was truly impressive. They were everywhere...especially at Disneyland! Maybe it's just because I'm an Old Lech...but the eye candy at Disneyland was unreal. Drop dead gorgeous hard-toned supertan soccer moms with kids in tow seemed to be everywhere. Often no accompanying Dads...just mommies and kidlets out for a day trip dropping a couple or three C-notes. Additionally, the plastic surgeons must be doing a booming biz out there...or those ladies are wonderfully endowed by their creator. I suspect that the silicon implant industry equities are largely supported by the trade out there.

-The sheer number of folks living in that megalopolis is amazing! It is just staggering to go back there and see the millions of people...everywhere!

-I noted a lot of very pricey high-end cars. Looking Good is everything out there and their cars are extensions of their egos. Lots of very nice 7-series Beemers, some AMG MBs, tons of Lexi Ls430s, a few Bentleys, hawt turbo Porsches, flame red Ferraris, a BRG Lotus, and even some Rolls' here and there. Mucho money rolling down the interstates there.

-We love Mexican food. I grew up eating the stuff...but now the locals seem to put jalapenos on everthing and I can't stand that. Tasty...but way too hot for me.

-Great roads overall and much less congestion than along I-95 into DC. Easier to get around out there because of the web of freeways around SoCal. Then again...no trees and miles of pavement and concrete. I like our area better...but I hate the crush when I have to drive it.

-Pretty dirty and dusty everywhere. Now I know why my auto paint jobs didn't last out there.

-NEVER try to do Disney in three days. We damn near killed outselves. It was hot and we were damn tired. There were fifteen of us on the first day. That's like trying to herd cats. All the wimminz wanted to do was shop, eat, drink, amble and talk while they pushed the baby (slowly), sit in the shade...anything but ride the cool rides. Finally, I couldn't stand it any more and the grandson and I ditched the ladies and had fun. Take LOTS of cash when you go there. Pricey place. Soaring Over California is the coolest "ride" I've ever been on...bar none.

-I felt naked the entire time. I saw several tatted up gang bangers while we were there. More than once I instinctively felt for my missing carry piece (Walther P-99 in .40S&W) only to be annoyed at my lack of protection.

-Took the six year old grandson up in a 40 minute introductory flight at the same small field I soloed from in April 1970. He sat in the right from seat and had a ball "flying" the plane while the instructor PIC flew and the "Old Guy" sat in back of the 172 and snapped pix. It was very cool.

-San Diego (Especially Coronado) is still the prettiest town in the state. We had lunch on the "island" with an old shipmate and his missus and it was really outstanding. His son is a SEAL LCDR now leading Snake Eaters in combat in Ramadi, Iraq. I remember the boy when he was a stripling lad of 21 on his way to BUDS. My, how time had flown by.

-Monterey was beautiful as well. Cannery Row is always a blast and the aquarium was impressive but overpriced. It was cool to show the kids where Doc Ricketts, Susie, Fauna, Joseph & Mary (Really Lee Chong), Mack & The Boys and all of the rest of the great Steinbeck characters lived.

-As expected, the media outlets out there are by and large very liberal. It was disgusting but I was on vacation so I refused to get all spun up and in any fights with my numnuts, ignorant outlaws over political issues or guns.

-A friend took the boy and I on a guided tour of a destroyer. I showed him my former "office". He was only mildly impressed. I think he is destined to lead rifle toters in combat.

Overall, the trip was enjoyable but at times I really did feel like a Stranger in a Strange Land.... Kali is an OK place to visit...but I wouldn't want to live there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:34:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LWilde:

-A friend took the boy and I on a guided tour of a destroyer. I showed him my former "office". He was only mildly impressed. I think he is destined to lead rifle toters in combat.

If that's your biggest worry, you are indeed fortunate!

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:36:04 PM EDT
Sounds like a good trip.

My wife grew up in San Clemente. She's always telling me how pretty is around Coronado and Catalina Island.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
Thanks for reminding me of many of the reasons why I left in January.

The dirt and dust is a big one! I went back last month to rescue my brother (he lives here now, w00t!) and was taken back by how filthy everything looks. It's awful. Perhaps it's because there isn't enough rainfall to keep the dust down. Whatever the reason, the place looks terrible. I never really noticed it until I left.

Everybody goes on and on about the weather, but I've been sitting here with my windows open for the last week enjoying a nice breeze and 80deg weather. Sure it gets cold in the winter, but warm clothes aren't exactly hard to find.

I haven't heard any Spanish since I moved here. Granted, I live out in the sticks, but still...it's kinda nice hearing English.

The roads here are MUCH nicer than anything I ever drove on in California. Cleveland may have the worst roads in the state (Ohio arfcommers feel free to chime in), but they still beat most of what I drove on in Kali. Here in northwest Ohio, the country roads that make up most of the county have well defined edges, lawns maintained right up to the roadway, and they're smooth as glass. Pretty neat for a county with less than 50,000 people and almost no tax burden, wouldn't you say?

The CCW thing is hard to ignore, isn't it? They really are a jittery, pussified bunch over there. I'll never figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:50:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Originally Posted By LWilde:

If that's your biggest worry, you are indeed fortunate!

DK,

We live about twenty miles from MCB Quantico. In our home school MAY end at the 16th grade...but grad school is always there for them. I am ever-so-gently guiding the boy to do well in school, finish his undergrad studies and then OCS and The Basic School. I can think of no finer profession than to be a Marine officer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:57:43 AM EDT
so you was a blue water squid huh? i was a brown water iron man ridin wooden ships!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:04:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 6:08:51 AM EDT by Duffy]
The secret to a good living in SoCal is find a suburb about 10 or 15 miles from a major city, preferably by the beach. Oxnard, Thousand Oaks, Malibu, Pacific Palisades come to mind. In Malibu the cost of living is high, that pretty much filters out folks that tend to make trouble in any city.
Where I live only the gardeners and maids speak Spanish and there are NO Spanish signs anywhere. I visited a school lately, and was surprised that almost all the kids are white. Over here the minorities really are the minority, this is unusual.
My MB S500 is but a soccor mom's car, I see it come and go every 2 minutes. I do see lots of Volvos with stupid libral stickers all the time though, that's the only drawback for me, but at least they won't loot my place in times of trouble, they're all richer than me lol.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:57:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By treemydawg:
so you was a blue water squid huh? i was a brown water iron man ridin wooden ships!

For 23 of my 28 total years. The other five I actually had fun toting an M-16.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:00:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 11:01:22 AM EDT by bulldog1967]
Did you get your passport stamped on the way back from Aztlan?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:56:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Did you get your passport stamped on the way back from Aztlan?

No...but I took a long hot shower to rid myself of the stench when I got home.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:11:33 PM EDT
Yes we do all smell

Top Top