Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2012 10:34:28 PM EDT
Best guitarist...old school metalheads who do you think was the best?
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Tough. I've listened to, and learned, a shitload of both of their licks..but I gotta go Eddie.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Eddie, and I only say it because Randy was taken so fucking soon....

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw Randy on the diary of a madman tour a couple weeks before he died.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
EVHFTMFW!
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Of the 2 I gotta go with Rhoads during the 80's. Eddie got better and evolved so who knows what it would be like if Rhoads did not die. Yngwei Malmstein better than both
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Eddie
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]
They both belong in a garbage can.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

WTF?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So Randy and Eddie are actually AK-47's??

and who praytell are your guitar gods? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Dick Dale

Rikk Agnew

Glen Tipton

Junior Brown

Adrian Smith

Dave Murray

Yngwie Malmsteen

Brett Gurewitz

Brian Baker

Mike Ness

Pat Fear

Kerry King

Rhoads and Van Halen are both fine, just not the best of the 80s.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
you forgot Schenker

I voted for Eddie.  More tone, more dynamic attack in his playing than Randy.  Randy sounded more like a processed techno player than one that brings every dynamic out of the guitar.

Eddie all the way.

Eddie > Rhoads

Schenker > Eddie

PSS - Schenker is an amazing player...but never got the right band to play in.  UFO was damn good when Schenker was there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, since it's strayed away from OP's question...

Chris Poland

That weirdo who plays for some band called "Metallica"...

Willie Nelson

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Gotta go with Eddie.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of the 2 I gotta go with Rhoads during the 80's. Eddie got better and evolved so who knows what it would be like if Rhoads did not die. Yngwei Malmstein better than both

I disagree with you on EVH's evolution. He very gradually evolved for the worse. But to be fair there was no topping the guitar work on VH 1. That album was basically a sort of "big bang"; an entirely new language of rock guitar exploded out of nothing and was instantly complete and perfect. And after that, he rested.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:56:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dick Dale
Rikk Agnew
Glen Tipton
Junior Brown
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Yngwie Malmsteen
Brett Gurewitz
Brian Baker
Mike Ness
Pat Fear
Kerry King

Fucking LOL.  EVH  and Rhoads are garbage, but guys like Dick Dale and Mike Ness are your "guitar gods"?
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dick Dale
Rikk Agnew
Glen Tipton
Junior Brown
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Yngwie Malmsteen
Brett Gurewitz
Brian Baker
Mike Ness
Pat Fear
Kerry King

Fucking LOL.  EVH  and Rhoads are garbage, but guys like Dick Dale and Mike Ness are your "guitar gods"?

And Kerry King? I'd say he's among the worst.

Since EVH peaked (IMO) in 1978-79,  I'd have to put Vai at the top during the 80s.

And Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Allan Holdsworth
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dick Dale
Rikk Agnew
Glen Tipton
Junior Brown
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Yngwie Malmsteen
Brett Gurewitz
Brian Baker
Mike Ness
Pat Fear
Kerry King

And Kerry King?

What about Kerry King?  I think one could make the case for a number of guitarists on a GOAT list.  It just seems silly to regard those two as garbage when at least a couple of clearly inferior guys somehow make the cut.

Kinda like how football fans may disagree on the best QB of all time, but it would be stupid to say that Elway and Montana are crap, but then put Donovan McNabb or Philip Rivers on the list
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 2:05:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Of the 2 listed I say Eddie. I also agree with whats been said about Randy leaving to soon. I personally never had much experience with his music except whats been recorded. Seems like I was always told Randy was the best by Ozzy said he was and I don't really value Ozzy as a human let alone his opinion. I have seen Eddie live a couple times and he puts on a great show, at least he did in the 80's

I think Kirk Hammet is one of if not the  best guitarist I have heard out of the 80's. He can play anybodies music as good as them or better and he can create some cool tunes also. But what really turned me on to his music was the classical side he has. He has many layers that has been hidden to maintain the Metallica image. I listen to metallica for the guitar and bass only, don't care much for the rest of them.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#19]
poll fail...

no third choice

sorry evh is a dick...

sorry gotta say it but hammet is a primodonna prick...

RR was a really nice and humble person.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:26:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Rhodes was good but no contest here, EVH all the way.

If Rhodes had lived longer it might be a different story seeing as he was, quite literally, cut down in his prime.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:38:31 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Rhodes was good but no contest here, EVH all the way.

If Rhodes had lived longer it might be a different story seeing as he was, quite literally, cut down in his prime.

eh...basically this

still cant believe some one mentioned kerry king....LOL

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:40:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Eddie was and will always be the more prolific of the two, but I love me some Randy Rhoads. His songwriting was much, MUCH better. Old Van Halen sounds like watered down, soda pop shop rock to me now. Blizzard of Oz and Diary never get old to me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:41:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dick Dale
Rikk Agnew
Glen Tipton
Junior Brown
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Yngwie Malmsteen
Brett Gurewitz
Brian Baker
Mike Ness
Pat Fear
Kerry King

i would add George Lynch to that also

i have to vote for RR, he's much better tha EVH in my lowly opinion
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

malmsteen for sure

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:06:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Eddie Van Halen was great at hammering but thats about it.
For those of you thinking Hammet, listen to Dave Mustaine. Hammet was pretty much average till he got some lessons from (Vai or satriani I forget which).
Steve Lynch was WAY good but for the money you cant beat Rhoads. The guy was a master his use of classical diatonic scales in solos and phrasing was pretty much new and lead to future players using that same technique. If he would have lived longer we wouldnt be having this argument.
Skip to about 2:55 mark
Rhoads sound check
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yngwei Malmstein better than both

Hands down.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Have to go with EVH. Randy's tone on crazy train was horrid; it sounds like he recorded with a boss metal zone run into really cheap practice amp.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#29]
The term "best guitarist" can be a bit vague.  There are many angles to take, such as playing ability, song writing ability, showmanship, style, pioneering or trend setting, etc.

When asked "who is the best over all?", some will say Eric Clapton but all he really did very well was write damned good music.  Some will knee jerk with Jimmy Hendrix, but all he really did was pioneer sounds.  Some will say Jimmy Paige and to me he is much like EVH, he could play with blurring speed, write awesome music, and was a pioneer.  Rhodes was good but I think he lags behind when compared to EVH and Pagie.  There list of guitar players worth mentioning is long,

EVH and Paige could do it all and do it all very well, I'm not sure who else could claim that.  What they both lack though is stellar PR skills.    

I'm a huge fan of Steve Rothery of Marillion.  David Gilmore of Pink Floyd as well.  

To each his own.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gotta go with Eddie.

Genius.  Thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#31]
This poll is like the presidential election.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#32]
There were many great players in the 80s.

EVH , Rhodes were just two. George lynch , Adrian Murry, Dave Mustaine , Adrian smith, and a hundred others that I would say were "Great".

Between Rhodes & EVH, I feel EVH was extremely thin and never progressed. The difference between Randy when he played with Quiet Riot, Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a madman showed a guitarist who was SERIOUS about progressing his skills. If you read his bio and do some research, you'll find out that Randy was an absolutely amazing human being. Instead of doing the 'normal' rockstar thing of going out, partying and doing whatever he wanted during a tour, he would find classical guitar players in the cities they played at and take lessons. I have a feeling that within 3 or 4 years he would have produced a Yngwige-type style but not play things so over the top.

EVH tapped and that was the only thing he did. His licks & riffs were good, but nothing like Randy's. Sure, Randy could tap but he did more than that. With EVH I always am just waiting for him to cover up his poor soloing abilities with tapping.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
PSS - Schenker is an amazing player...but never got the right band to play in.  UFO was damn good when Schenker was there.

The right band? A little band named the Scorpions comes to mind as does UFO.
It was not about having a band, it was about his addiction to alcohol that fucked him away.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:13:38 AM EDT
[#34]
EVH. Just because Rhodes was cut short too soon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The right band? A little band named the Scorpions comes to mind as does UFO.
It was not about having a band, it was about his addiction to alcohol that fucked him away.

Mike's stints in the Scorps were always short lived

PS...his addictions were not just alcohol.  

I can tell you stories.     He is and always has been a troubled guy.  Even his relationship with Bella P.....she put up with a lot of his shit.  I have a fair amount of his gear actually.  met him first time when i was 16/17.  known him a while

amazing guitarist....but the demons he fought....

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree with you on EVH's evolution. He very gradually evolved for the worse. But to be fair there was no topping the guitar work on VH 1. That album was basically a sort of "big bang"; an entirely new language of rock guitar exploded out of nothing and was instantly complete and perfect. And after that, he rested.

I never thought I would find anyone speak this truth, maybe you have to play to see it. Dunno.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Kerry King

Kerry King ?

Of Slayer ?

You're high.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This poll is like the presidential election.

exactly....poll fail.....
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Better in what way? Tone, Technique, Influence,Style,etc?

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#41]
In the 80's,besides Yngwie I thought Randy was the best.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hands down.

but he lacks soul.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Eddie's tone on Fair Warning is probably my favorite of any modern sound.
RR was great, but I gotta go EVH this time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Rhoads was overrated.

On a related note, if I hear someone talk about Rhoads writing 'bark at the moon' one more time...
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#45]
GUITAR THREAD.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Ah . . . EVH.

I have nothing but respect for Eddie's talent. I think he was highly innovative, technically brilliant, and rocked like no one before him. And I voted Eddie in the poll.

But some of his solos can downright painful to listen to for anyone with an ear for pitch and timing.
He's not alone, lots of shredders seem to throw precision and compostion down the driveway in the pursuit of speed.
Some soloists just feel the constant need to peel the frets off the neck no matter how far off pitch or tempo it gets.

The old masters played to the limits of their ability to keep it focused, and they often did that far beyond what seemed humanly possible. It's what made them great.
There's a lot to be said for that approach.

Feel free to bring on the tar and feathers . . .

Electrificated gitfiddle pronz . . .

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Eddie, and I only say it because Randy was taken so fucking soon....

ETA: malmsteen and some others are obviously more technical, but EVH's music is just plain better. Don't get me wrong I love malmsteen. I jammed out some malmsteen on an hour drive I did today, but EVH is a better rock musician. I don't really consider neoclassical to be "rock", but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Eddie had more time, I want to say Randy would have exceeded him by a lot if he lived but who knows ...
VH has to win this matchup
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hands down.

but he lacks soul.

I wish I still had the cassette..

Rising Force was doing one of their first headlining shows in the states at Wolfgangs in San Francisco.I guess the lead singer got sick and he wasn't going to come out,the band wasn't going to play.I guess because the crowd was going bonkers,Yngwie came out with his bass player and the drummer.They did a one hour jam session,it seemed like one long ass song with a constant guitar solo..it was incredible.My friends brother(who made the tape) was running the mixing board so the sound quality was amazing on the tape.

If you heard this tape, you would definitely change your opinion.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

same thing with yngwie really. not quite the same breadth of impact on rock music, but a similar pattern.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top