Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2004 3:38:44 PM EST
Took a work buddy from Mass who likes to shoot but hasn't gotten his license.

Anyway, long story short, sun is getting low on the horizon, we're having fun with my
freshly un-cosmolined Yugo SKS and my AR, when this old guy walks over, and is standing
quietly behind my friend until he finishes shooting.

We figure he wants to put a target up downrange, so we pull our earplugs. Instead of a
"can I put this target up" or a quick "nice gun", he begins a 20 minute (no exaggeration)
exposition (after examining my AR) on why I was wrong to replace the stock A2 front sight
with a NM blade sight, and how shooting 55 grain Lake City is far less accurate than his hand
loaded 69 grain, along with a detailed breakdown of his .22 LR conversion AR with 2 stage
Armalite trigger.

He was a nice enough guy, and if I was stuck in traffic, would love to listen to him talk guns,
but the sun was getting low, and we had alot of ammo left to shoot. Maybe we were too polite....

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:42:21 PM EST
Did you offer him a nice warm cup of STFU?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:42:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:42:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By ED_P:

You need a license to shoot? WTF has this country come to?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:48:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By RipMeyer:

Yep- Massachusetts is a license, even just to buy ammo- New Hampshire is a different story.

Aimless- I agree with the lonely old guy theory- we did listen politely for 20 minutes....
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:49:10 PM EST

In PRofM (The People's Republik of Massholia) you need an FID Card to purchase ammo, and components. Though if you are over 18 you can purchase and posses a black powder rifle with out one. IIRC you still need the FID to have the black powder and the lead. LenS may have more info than I do in this case.

BTW you need a MA FID or Non res license to shoot in MA unless at you are at an advertised event.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:00:19 PM EST
I'd much rather get that than a lecture on why I'm a crazed lunatic for having such a viol reached tool of satan, which is what I thought you were going to get.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:00:28 PM EST

but hasn't gotten his license.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:07:13 PM EST
damn, I thought my having to have a license to buy handguns was bad

Yep- Massachusetts is a license, even just to buy ammo- New Hampshire is a different story.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:13:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Maybe he is annoying continual blabbermouth, but he might just have been a lonely old guy whose shooting buddies have passed away and your listening to him put a smile on his face for the evening

Course I'd have told him to shut his pie hole

no you wouldn't,you would charge him, 150 an hour
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:14:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:17:25 PM EST
Are you telling me I can't bring my concealed carry gun if I decide to drive thru Mass. this summer. Huh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:18:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
damn it sure sucks to shoot anything i want off my front porch

can you shoot, salesman off your porch?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:18:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 4:19:43 PM EST by FLAL1A]
I gotta tell you, the phrase "Unsolicited Professor" is a brilliant creation. Just brilliant. I also think it's wonderful that you listened to him for 20 minutes. Just because an old duffer is lonely doesn't mean he has good social skills. In fact, there is probably a significant degree of correlation between loneliness and lack of social skills.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:19:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 4:19:34 PM EST by Avalon01]

Illinois makes you buy a FOID card.

Thank god I moved to WI.

Av.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:25:22 PM EST
I had run into a old fella last winter out where everyone goes to shoot. He had a brand new Bushmaster. He starts telling me about a friend of his that does comp. shooting,like the kind at Camp Perry and that had got him interested in it. He said he had put a Douglas barrel, target crown,match trigger ,yadi, yadi. Reloaded his own. I just hope that when I get old that I'm half as interesting to be around as this guy was.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:25:40 PM EST
I had a guy do that to me last month.
Luckily I still have shooting buddies.

I prefer your NM sight and your 55 Grain stock ammo.

And I still don't get the point of .22 conversion systems for those who can shoot outdoors.

"Train with what you shoot"
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:29:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 4:32:48 PM EST by 95thFoot]

Originally Posted By SDavid:
(snip)
In PRofM (The People's Republik of Massholia) you need an FID Card to purchase ammo, and components. Though if you are over 18 you can purchase and posses a black powder rifle with out one. IIRC you still need the FID to have the black powder and the lead. LenS may have more info than I do in this case.

You do not need a gun license (FID Card) to buy an antique design black powder rifle, musket or shotgun in MA (not sure about modern inlines). Nor do you need one to shoot, keep or use powder, propellant or projectiles. To buy powder, propellant or projectiles, however, you do need an FID. It used to be the same with b/p pistols and revolvers, but once they are carried for self-defense (CCW) then the CCW laws apply, that is, one must apply for an LTC-A (license to carry, class A)

BTW you need a MA FID or Non res license to shoot in MA unless at you are at an advertised event.

That is true. B/P reenactments and hunters are excepted as well.

If I weren't from here, I couldn't put up with it either......

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:35:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/13/2004 4:43:17 PM EST by Hank_Rearden1]
How old?

I will take whatever small fraction of my lifetime it takes to listen to whatever anyone over the age of 65ish has to say to me... (assuming it's not viscous or materially insulting or doesnt pose a direct physical threat). I figure, I give up some of my time to listen to an old guy, but maybe it could really help the old fellar out. The guy could have had an intersting walk through life, fought in a war, had a big family, and has some lessons to share. I also see it as an oppurtunity to to present me and my generation ( I am 34) to him... give him the impresssion that not all is lost (humor). Similarly, I enjoy chancing upon younger people (i.e. early 20s, late teens) and finding out that they are straight good kids and not left wing radical dip shits... gives me optimism for the furture.

Edited to add: When I come accross these older fellars... I also don't hesitate to debate them (respectfully).... i.e, I put on the vertical forward grip because....., painted my furniture yellow becuase...or, I disagree, new corvettes are better than old corevettes because... and No, Cathrene Zeta Jones is hotter than Betty Davis, especially now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:47:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hank_Rearden1:
How old?

I will take whatever small fraction of my lifetime it takes to listen to whatever anyone over the age of 65ish has to say to me... (assuming it's not viscous or materially insulting or doesnt pose a direct physical threat). I figure, I give up some of my time to listen to an old guy, but maybe it could really help the old fellar out. The guy could have had an intersting walk through life, fought in a war, had a big family, and has some lessons to share. I also see it as an oppurtunity to to present me and my generation ( I am 34) to him... give him the impresssion that not all is lost (humor). I enjoy chancing upon young people (i.e. early 20s, late teens) and finding out that they are straight good kids and not left wing radical dip shits... gives me optimism for the furture.

Edited to add: When I come accross these older fellars... I also don't hesitate to debate them (respectfully).... i.e, I put on the vertical forward grip because....., painted my furniture yellow becuase...or, I disagree, new corvettes are better than old corevettes because... and No, Cathrene Zeta Jones is hotter than Betty Davis, especially now.

I used to feel this way, but after living in Florida for so long, I now feel like buying an "I hate old people" bumpersticker.

[rant on]Not that they'd be able to read the bumpersticker, what with crashing into store fronts, children waiting for the bus, and farmers' markets.

Hell, there was an old couple that burned to death in their Volvo because they were too stubborn to get out. This was about 5000 feet from where I live. Same spot an old woman drove right into a retention pond on her way home.

They need periodic vision testing. Period[/rant off]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:49:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAR-10:

How old?

I will take whatever small fraction of my lifetime it takes to listen to whatever anyone over the age of 65ish has to say to me... (assuming it's not viscous or materially insulting or doesnt pose a direct physical threat). I figure, I give up some of my time to listen to an old guy, but maybe it could really help the old fellar out. The guy could have had an intersting walk through life, fought in a war, had a big family, and has some lessons to share. I also see it as an oppurtunity to to present me and my generation ( I am 34) to him... give him the impresssion that not all is lost (humor). I enjoy chancing upon young people (i.e. early 20s, late teens) and finding out that they are straight good kids and not left wing radical dip shits... gives me optimism for the furture.

I used to feel this way, but after living in Florida for so long, I now feel like buying an "I hate old people" bumpersticker.

[rant on]Not that they'd be able to read the bumpersticker, what with crashing into store fronts, children waiting for the bus, and farmers' markets.

Hell, there was an old couple that burned to death in their Volvo because they were too stubborn to get out. This was about 5000 feet from where I live. Same spot an old woman drove right into a retention pond on her way home.

I see your point. However, living in NoVA (Northern VA) we don't see many old folks up here.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:59:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAR-10:

How old?

I see your point. However, living in NoVA (Northern VA) we don't see many old folks up here.

We're moving to Yuba City, Kali in June and I'm really hoping the old folk population is quite small and pleasant.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:12:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By 762mmMAN:

but hasn't gotten his license.

I got my effin' license Kennedy, it's right here in the BILL OF RIGHTS!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:25:08 PM EST
2A = my license, and I don't even have to carry the damn license with me! Oh, and did I mention I am in VA?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:37:14 PM EST
Maybe he was trying to run you off so he could shoot.

There are a lot of people with nothing better to do then shoot the shit, sometimes it eats up half my day, acting like I'm listening, some people don't get the hint. When I'am trying to shoot it really pisses me off when people interupt me. I go to the range to shoot, if I wanted to here somebody go on and on I would be at home with my wife.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:38:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By peekay:
Did you offer him a nice warm cup of STFU?

I always take a thermos of that with me to the range. I believe it's policy to have at least one warm cup on hand.

Anything think this should be an AR15.com Exclusive once the merchandise section is back up and running?
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:41:00 PM EST
Jeeeeze, glad I live in the free state of Georgia!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:49:49 PM EST
License? License? You have to have a LICENSE to shoot in Massachusetts? What the??? AM I missing something? What the ??? What happened to "shall not be infringed"? I know it's all bunk, but a LICENSE? Whoa!

And for your range professor, he was probably a meglomaniac. I've seen a bunch of them where I work. Self important, know everything, better than everyone else, has the best of everything, blah, blah, blah...you know the type.

You were very polite, I would have blasted a round off when it took out his ear plugs.

Just kidding!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:24:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By akethan:
Maybe he was trying to run you off so he could shoot.

Top Top