Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 4:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 4:23:39 PM EDT by Red_Beard]
I'd forgotten how much this stuff kicks ass.

I used to live off of it while in college and haven't eaten it in years.

I bought a shitload of it at sams club last weekend in an attempt to cut back on my food expensise.

You can make a shitload of good tasting meals without spending much money using this stuff.

tonight I had three packages of ramen with a cup of frozen peas and carrots dumped in while it was cooking. Drain the water and sprinkle a little of the spice pack over the top and eat.

Total meal probably cost 30cents tasted good, and I'm stuffed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:12:48 PM EDT
addition of the frozen veggies is key

you can buy a big ass bag of store brand mixed veggies for less than a buck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:13:00 PM EDT
I add parmesan cheese to mine. I dunno why, but parmesan makes everything taste better. I'm not above putting it on ice cream.

And horseradish. I love me some horseradish.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:31 PM EDT
Go back to Sam's and get a 6 lb. bag of Tyson chicken breasts. Add half a chicken breast to each meal.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:14 PM EDT
Besides the vegetables you can add some frozen shrimp and a couple of eggs, yum! Some of the asian stores have all kinds of different ones, I like the Thai ones personally.

Plain ramen even tastes good mixed with a can of mushroom soup.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:33 PM EDT
Would vacuum bagging it make it last longer , like keep bugs or what ever out. I like mushrooms in mine , mmmmmmm mushrooms alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:18:24 PM EDT

<------Big Ramen fan checking in.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:23:27 PM EDT
Sodium and nitrates are not a middle-aged white man's or black man's best friend, my friend. The Ramen is full of both.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:26:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
Sodium and nitrates are not a middle-aged white man's or black man's best friend, my friend. The Ramen is full of both.

yeah, I think most of the sodium is in the "flavor pack" though, so if oyu only use a small portion of that, or skip it entirely and use other seasonings on the noodles, it's not so bad. I know the noodles have a lot of fat in them.

Of course, then oyu're paying 10c a pop for pasta and can probably find better deals.

Anyone know if you can by the ramen style noodles bulk without the flavoring ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:27:46 PM EDT
The noodles have a lot of fat because they're fried.

Try rice noodles for less fat. They do have less flavor though. Well, almost no flavor. That can be corrected with a bit of fish sauce and some rice wine vinegar.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:29:40 PM EDT
Mhmmm MSG a boat load of salt and cheap noodles. damn I want some Ramen now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
The noodles have a lot of fat because they're fried.

Try rice noodles for less fat. They do have less flavor though. Well, almost no flavor. That can be corrected with a bit of fish sauce and some rice wine vinegar.

Why would they fry the noodles? I always wondered why one of those ramens had 400 calories though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:33:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyrax777:

Damn!

No good for me, have HBP.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:36:25 PM EDT
Speaking of ramen, I think I'm going to fire up the microwave and have some creamy chicken.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyrax777:

Yep, I don't eat it very often. Once in a while at work and I may take a few packets of it backpacking for a quick, hot lunch. I doubt if the extra sodium will be a problem when humping a backpack in the hills. But other than that, I stay away from it.
Top Top