Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/16/2013 4:40:08 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I just started my final undergrad semester of mechanical engineering and have to do a capstone project in which I design and build a novel product.

Given how universal rails are, I'm interested in designing a new rail attachment (not a new rail system) that would fulfill a need and be marketable.

So I come to you all to solicit suggestions.  What doesn't currently exist that you'd like to see exist for your AR or other rifle or shotgun with a rail?  

It needs to be something useful, something people would buy, and something that could be designed, built, and tested in one semester (around 13 weeks). I have to decide on the idea fairly quickly.

So, what's something new you'd like to attach to your rails?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought it would be a good idea to have a universal battery system that would supply 6v and be able to run all your accessories without each accessory needing its own (and sometimes different batteries)

Now, this of course would mean multiple items, not just 1.

1) The battery pack itself, rechargeable Lithium-Ion would be sweet. The battery pack could even be concealed into a VFG or AFG.
2) A light that is connected to the battery pack via a single wire.
3) A Laser that is connected to the battery pack via a single wire.
4) A Red Dot sight, same as above.
5) Special Ladder Style rail covers that would conceal and protect the wires.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A rail system that has the items in tighter to the barrel, and rotate out for use, so they don't have to be hanging out all lo-speed/high drag when not in use. Something like the stealth aircraft (and some not so stealthy) use for ordinance.
Notice how CCW carriers are all uptight about "snagability" with carry guns, yet don't seem to mind numerous huge protuberances in their carry rifle. A lot of room for improvement there!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#3]
a rail mounted beer can holder would be nice
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a stubby vfg like the tango down or FUG but with a keymod mount. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A rail system that has the items in tighter to the barrel, and rotate out for use, so they don't have to be hanging out all lo-speed/high drag when not in use. Something like the stealth aircraft (and some not so stealthy) use for ordinance.
Notice how CCW carriers are all uptight about "snagability" with carry guns, yet don't seem to mind numerous huge protuberances in their carry rifle. A lot of room for improvement there!

THIS IS CAPITAL- GREAT IDEA ...It's not just CCW spend some time in thick foilage or jungle and you'll see why a1 triangle foreguards are so awesome.  Also some way to retain the sling when not in use or needed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I always thought it would be a good idea to have a universal battery system that would supply 6v and be able to run all your accessories without each accessory needing its own (and sometimes different batteries)

1) The battery pack itself, rechargeable Lithium-Ion would be sweet. The battery pack could even be concealed into a VFG or AFG.

I really like the above idea.  One modification with it - make the rail a power system itself.  Kinda like those chargers/power systems for phones and game controller where you just lay the device on the pad and it begins to charge.  If the rail was a power system itself, each accessory would power up when attached to the rail. You could possibly do away with wires.  Granted you asked for a rail attachment ideas but never hurts to think a little bigger for when you are done with school.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
An iPhone mount that positions the camera in front of an optic then tips aside
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Gloves with rail attachments to make it tougher to pull them from our cold dead hands
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That would actually be really cool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like the above idea.  One modification with it - make the rail a power system itself.  Kinda like those chargers/power systems for phones and game controller where you just lay the device on the pad and it begins to charge.  If the rail was a power system itself, each accessory would power up when attached to the rail. You could possibly do away with wires.  Granted you asked for a rail attachment ideas but never hurts to think a little bigger for when you are done with school.

After reading the original idea, my mind immediately went where you did.  Like in each rail groove, there would be a contact that the bar on the accessory would touch and receive power.  I think that's a really cool idea.  But it would require replacement, or at least modification of all existing rails.  The beauty of the existing rails is how universal they are.  Given the scope and time frame of this project, I think something that interfaces with the existing system would be easiest.  At this point... looking to invent the next USB accessory, not an update of the USB port. (computer analogy)

Thanks for the ideas guys.  Keep 'em comin!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Make a stubby vfg like the tango down or FUG but with a keymod mount. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

This. You'll be rolling in cash.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
This might already exist, but I haven't seen one yet. Picatinny on one side and an Surefire x300 slide on mount on the other with the same profile as a glock rail.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
IR/white light with an IR/day visible green laser for under $1000.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
a rail attachment that holds a magazine..in the verticcal position( like a fore grip) for super fast reloads...
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:31:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
a rail attachment that holds a magazine..in the verticcal position( like a fore grip) for super fast reloads...

Already exists
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/BeerHolder.jpg

How about the Magpul version

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#18]
A round counter like the one in Halo.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty sure Wilcox has already done something along these lines.

ETA:  Fusion Rail

Yours for only $2,170.  You though KAC was expensive....
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Easily doable but the reliability would suck. It could be done for under $50.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
A brass catcher that would:

- swing away from the ejection port so you can see into the action when the gun is laid on the bench or want to clear a jam without having to remove the catcher
- Keep its mouth wide open to catch the shells coming out. My strap on catcher made of nylon fabric has a crease in it that makes the opening collapse shut.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There have been several. One company made a magazine with a round counter and another used a small LED panel (actuated by the recoil of the gun to count down by one - very simple to implement in hardware). However the fact that nobody's really heard of either indicates that the idea was a bit of a flop
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure Wilcox has already done something along these lines.

ETA:  Fusion Rail

Yours for only $2,170.  You though KAC was expensive....

Wow, that's silly. I don't really like the idea of a rail power source. In the case of a non-wired version, it seems easy to short it out and drain the battery. Also, that's an issue - draining ALL of your accessories simultaneously. No red dot, IR designator, or flashlight. I really don't mind my accessories having separate batteries. Plus 5 spare CR123s are sure to be lighter, less bulky, and more commonly available than a replacement whatever battery pack. I can carry spares for my RDS, ITAL, and light in one of those nifty Surefire round battery holders.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Just make keyhole accessories
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Are you at UA?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Rail mount brass catcher that really works, and adapts to not interfere with various rail mount optics.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
simplest rail idea ever--a rocker switch for your weaponlight.  tape switches suck, and i hate using the tailcap method for temporary-on.  having a temp on and continuous on switch on a small rail segment would be handy, easy to engineer, inexpensive to produce, and IMO extremely marketable.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
A very low profile cleaning rod carrier that could fit along the top rail and is easily detatched and opened.  Currently there's no easy way to attatch an acutal rod to a carbine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#29]
How about a retractable sling that works like similar to a lap belt in a car?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I like this a lot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
How about a 45* angle mount for a fixed blade knife sheath?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

this was actually done on a 22 rifle before. I believe it was a Mossberg or H&R rifle. it had a wood stock and the sling detached at the front and just zipped into the buttstock like a tape measure.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
simplest rail idea ever--a rocker switch for your weaponlight.  tape switches suck, and i hate using the tailcap method for temporary-on.  having a temp on and continuous on switch on a small rail segment would be handy, easy to engineer, inexpensive to produce, and IMO extremely marketable.

Gamechanga
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A very low profile cleaning rod carrier that could fit along the top rail and is easily detatched and opened.  Currently there's no easy way to attatch an acutal rod to a carbine.

How about in the buttstock?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is a fantastic idea, spelling errors aside.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about in the buttstock?

And off to the store I go.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Probably already out there, but a rail mounted bottle opener would score big with the teacher.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Probably already out there, but a rail mounted bottle opener would score big with the teacher.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Shazam!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Cloaking device that makes it look like a bolt-action.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#41]
SOPMOD Block 69 is supposed to have a rail mounted fleshlight, as well as a battery operated dildo that attaches to the carbine via the bayonet lug

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd like to see a light that fits closer to the rail instead of being so far off it.  A lot of rails have unused space in between the rail section.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yup, there's one of them too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SOPMOD Block 69 is supposed to have a rail mounted fleshlight, as well as a battery operated dildo that attaches to the carbine via the bayonet lug

Can you order it with two fleshlights? How about two dildos for the lady war fighter?
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I really could use a Fleshlight mount! Its gonna lonely out there in the woods running and hiding from the G Man!
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

on the same thought

my idea was a 4 sided rail . like normal.  but has a rotating barrel section and a locking mechanism.  you can have different style of sights or optics or whatever and, all sighted in,  if the sit. changes you can rotate with the twist of the hand and move one zeroed sight out and rotate the following one in.  like a revolver indexing a new cartridge

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Beer.

As stated about 87 times prior.

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

already exists   .   relays the optics view onto the screen with cross hairs.  mount and app are sold as a package

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That already exists.  It's called iScope

Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Rail mount brass catcher that really works, and adapts to not interfere with various rail mount optics.

Already exists

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/univbc.html
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top