Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 4:11:40 AM EDT
Hey all,
I have a question regarding my well water.  We had a gross alpha water test done on our water well.  I live in northwest Montana and these issues are just up and coming in the area.  anyways we tested at 10.2picocurries/l for gross alpha emitters in our water which is below EPA's 15pc/l limit.  EPA says if we are above 5 but less that 15 to consider testing for specific things like radium and uranium.  The lab tech said because our air test showed only little amounts of radon 2.7pc/liter that the chances of it being in the water were extremely slim.  He also stated that our numbers for the water test were not high enough to indicate a uranium problem because for uranium to be at harmful levels our gross alpha would be wayyyy higher.  From my research and his it looks like radium has not been known to be a problem in the area.  My question is am i being paranoid to want to put in a water system or should it be fine.  Reverse osmosis systems will remove basically everything from the water but they are very expensive and seems overkill.  I've also heard that reverse osmosis can be hard on fixtures and appliances due to something about it leaching metals out of the fixtures and causing corrosion???   I'm not worried about showering etc because alpha cant even penetrate the skin and it is only a problem when inhaled via a gas or ingested.  Should I or shouldn't i remediate issues?

Thanks,
Thomas
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all,
I have a question regarding my well water.  We had a gross alpha water test done on our water well.  I live in northwest Montana and these issues are just up and coming in the area.  anyways we tested at 10.2picocurries/l for gross alpha emitters in our water which is below EPA's 15pc/l limit.  EPA says if we are above 5 but less that 15 to consider testing for specific things like radium and uranium.  The lab tech said because our air test showed only little amounts of radon 2.7pc/liter that the chances of it being in the water were extremely slim.  He also stated that our numbers for the water test were not high enough to indicate a uranium problem because for uranium to be at harmful levels our gross alpha would be wayyyy higher.  From my research and his it looks like radium has not been known to be a problem in the area.  My question is am i being paranoid to want to put in a water system or should it be fine.  Reverse osmosis systems will remove basically everything from the water but they are very expensive and seems overkill.  I've also heard that reverse osmosis can be hard on fixtures and appliances due to something about it leaching metals out of the fixtures and causing corrosion???   I'm not worried about showering etc because alpha cant even penetrate the skin and it is only a problem when inhaled via a gas or ingested.  Should I or shouldn't i remediate issues?

Thanks,
Thomas
View Quote

I got my Omni-Filter undersink RO drinking water system for $80 on clearance. You could likely get a nice one for less than $200. Watch out and read the reviews, there are some real turds out there (Dupont's easy-change filter system being one of them).

I'm super happy with my system...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a whole house system and quit being cheap.  You want to live in a house and not be able to drink the water from anywhere?  Fuck that. I'd sell it.  

Whole house system or sell it
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It will be fine, your below the limit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You will get more exposure working outside in the sun than drinking the water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top