Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2007 6:39:42 PM EDT
Guys I need some advise.   I am issued a Motorola MTS2000 radio and shoulder mic.  I am going to change shifts from nights (low traffic) to evening shift (high traffic).  I basically work on a freeway and it makes it hard to hear the shoulder mic.  I am considering some type of ear peice but I dont want to spend a ton of money.  Does anyone have any good links or places where I might find a ear peice / mic system that I can use?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont' worry about it.  It takes about 3 or 4 bumps on the radio before your evening shift guys answer the radio so you'll fit right in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a new earpiece for the HT1000...... hooked it up and then was issued a Kenwood.

Spend the $80 for the earpiece. Make sure it is the hear through type and not the noise reduction plug.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently using an earpiece by a company called ARC. It screws into the top of the mic adaptor. Its the coiled style tube that curves over the top of your ear.

It works well. I had to google it till I found it online for around 40 bucks.

After a few weeks of wear moisture grows in the coil and it tends to stop working. Blow it out with a can of compressed air and it works perfectly again.

It comes in handy for building searches and loud environments.

Everyone be safe!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
try the surefire earpro 100's  http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/24317/sesent/00

not sure if they mate up to your radio, they work well with my moto xtr5000. i like the ear piece cause you can still hear ambient noises pretty well. its comfortable for all day as well.

contact calvin at brightflashlights here on ARFcom and he'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
While I can't give advice on what brand of earpiece to get I would like to recommend getting the funny shaped(the one thats molded to the shape of the inner ear) earpiece instead of the "plug" style for more long term use.  The plug style will eventually get very uncomfortable to the point of being painful.  You may get a lot of grief for being "secret agnet-ish" but you will not only be able to sneak around without your radio giving away your position, you won't have to step away from the subject for dispatch to warn you of them or get warrants confirmed.  I loved mine but we recently switched radios (HT1250 to PR400) and now I'm without an earpiece...till the new ones chief ordered show up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#7]
i use the EarHugger hearthrough ear piece.  Runs about $30 really comfortable and I can hear like normal.  I like it because no one can hear what is coming over the radio but you.  I got mine from Galls

Hope this helps

P

ETA:  The EarHugger I use is exactly like the Surefire mentioned above for about half the price.  I comes with right and left side peices and clear and black tubing.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#8]
www.tacticalcommand.com/

www.handsfreeusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=216&osCsid=fa6224930b076138ad5a41fa4438109b

Try these sites.  I use Tactical Command's product.  I feel it's superior to any other earpiece product I've used.  You may also look at Otto Communications ( www.ottoeng.com/comm/ ).  Most of the companies I've seen use some if not all components from Otto.

Striker, these sites have shoulder mic replacements too.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While we are on the subject. Does anyone know of an online source for Motorala shoulder mics?

I have a spare one for the MTS 2000 running around my trunk I think.  Not sure if it will work for you.

BTW thanks for all the help guys I will continue my research!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:04:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I used a molded earpiece.  The std moto earpiece kit would plug right into/on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top