Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 9:52:39 PM EDT
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Bored and in random internet surfing I stumbled across this.  I have no idea what I am doing with the controls...but it's fun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Bored and in random internet surfing I stumbled across this.  I have no idea what I am doing with the controls...but it's fun.
View Quote

It's a software defined radio.
Fun stuff. You can easily search a wide band of radio spectrum for signals.
Very fun to play with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
And one submarine all the way out in Pearl
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That one is set up in the Netherlands. You can hear stuff in Europe a lot better and pick up local radio stations on the VLF band. Thats below the AM band. 530 khz and below.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
SDR = Software Defined Radio.  Basically, a wideband receiver that uses a computer to do all the magical digital filtering to pick audio out of the noise.  They're neat.  You can use a euro-spec USB TV receiver with some alternate software as a wideband radio receiver.  You can add a transverter to change the frequency range you're listening to.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used it and listened to numbers stations before, as well as BBC Africa and a few other stations out in the middle of nowhere.

Same with voice of America on stations in shithole countries and a few underground radio stations
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Cake - Never There is playing on 207khz amplitude modulated
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SDR = Software Defined Radio.  Basically, a wideband receiver that uses a computer to do all the magical digital filtering to pick audio out of the noise.  They're neat.  You can use a euro-spec USB TV receiver with some alternate software as a wideband radio receiver.  You can add a transverter to change the frequency range you're listening to.
View Quote

I am sure that is a perfectly valid answer, still have no idea what any of it means but I think I get the gist.  Thank you.  There is some weird fucking noises on some of these frequencies.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Think of it as a short wave radio that is controlled by a computer instead of a front panel with knobs and buttons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top