Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 6:28:43 AM EDT
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (Dec. 24) - George E. Elliott Jr., whose unheeded warning about aircraft approaching Pearl Harbor was depicted in history books and movies like "Tora, Tora, Tora," has died. He was 85.

Elliot died Saturday of complications from a stroke, his family said.

The former Army radar operator detected the incoming Japanese aircraft on Dec. 7, 1941; he issued a warning, which was brushed aside. Nearly an hour later, the enemy planes reached the Navy fleet in the harbor.

A 50-year anniversary story by The Associated Press told how Elliott and another private, Joseph L. Lockard, had been on duty since 4 a.m. at Kahuku Point on the northern tip of Oahu, Hawaii, familiarizing themselves with a new marvel that could "see" 130 miles to sea - radar.

Just after 7 a.m., Elliott saw "something completely out of the ordinary" on the screen, a huge blip, due north, 137 miles out. The information was called in to headquarters, and the operators were told it was a flight of B-17 Flying Fortresses due in from California.

They kept tracking for practice, and the blip grew so large that Lockard figured the set was broken. They turned it off at 7:45, after the blip disappeared behind Oahu's mountains.

About 10 minutes later, the first bombs were falling on battleship row.

Later that morning, when Elliott and Lockard arrived back at their base, they learned the significance of what they had observed.

"He had a feeling of frustration that if the warning had been heeded they could have at least got planes in the air and lives could have been saved," Elliott's son, Tom, told the Sarasota Herald-Tribune on Tuesday. "He felt that way right up to the day he died."

Elliott served in the Army until 1945, then worked for New Jersey Bell Telephone for 33 years before retiring.

In later years, his warning at Pearl Harbor brought him recognition. The actions of the radar operators were depicted in the 1970 movie "Tora, Tora, Tora," on television specials and in history books.

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Shame, but his warning was circumvented from the Chief of the Army Air Corp, who under orders from FDR, travelled from Washington D.C. to Hamilton Field where he personally informed the commander of the B-17 group to "expect to run into WWII on his trip to Pearl".

He then personally orchestrated the exact timing of their take-off to coincide with the expected arrival time of the Japs. This was how they covered the aspect of the possible radar sighting of the Pear Harbor attack, so he never stood a chance in hell of forewarning his compatriots.

The fact that the Army Air Corp. Chief made this trip is a documented fact and one of the early "damning indicators" that Pearl Harbor was a lie, which given all of the recent books on this subject is WIDELY known.

While his passing is a shame, he can most certainly rest easy knowing, he did his duty no matter the outcome, which was decided years earlier by FDR.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Rest in Peace

[usa]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If Pearl Harbor was known about beforehand, it certainly served its purpose to unite the United States and fuel the general population to support the US enterance into WWII.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Rest in Peace

[usa]
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shame, but his warning was circumvented from the Chief of the Army Air Corp, who under orders from FDR, travelled from Washington D.C. to Hamilton Field where he personally informed the commander of the B-17 group to "expect to run into WWII on his trip to Pearl".

He then personally orchestrated the exact timing of their take-off to coincide with the expected arrival time of the Japs. This was how they covered the aspect of the possible radar sighting of the Pear Harbor attack, so he never stood a chance in hell of forewarning his compatriots.

The fact that the Army Air Corp. Chief made this trip is a documented fact and one of the early "damning indicators" that Pearl Harbor was a lie, which given all of the recent books on this subject is WIDELY known.

While his passing is a shame, he can most certainly rest easy knowing, he did his duty no matter the outcome, which was decided years earlier by FDR.

Mike
View Quote

two points:

1) what is your documentation for this claim? (Art Bell does not count)

2) Is April 1st coming a little early this year? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
[usa]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:24:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

two points:

View Quote

Don't bother. Mr. Wilson has done this before: turn a memorial thread into a discourse on historical conspiracies.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

Do you really believe this undocumented fairy tale?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Was it sudden?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
two points:

View Quote

No problem, check your e-mail.

BTW, LG this is no fairy tale,  

I have posted these books on many occassions, read  "Day of Deceit" by Stinnett and "Pearl Harbor: The Mother of All Conspiracies" by Willey and you'll find ALL THE DOCUMENTATION YOU'LL NEED TO PROVE MY POST ABOVE CORRECT, in fact it ain't me, but the authors themselves who will be convincing ya..... or do an ostrich imitation like plenty others here "and shove your head into the sand"

Also my post above in NO WAY disparaged Mr. Elliot Jr., who was as much a victim of circumstances beyond his control as the 3000 other veteran and civies killed that day, by a plot by FDR to get America into WWII, by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, NO MATTER THE COST.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:01:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
two points:

View Quote

No problem, check your e-mail.

BTW, LG this is no fairy tale,  

I have posted these books on many occassions, read  "Day of Deceit" by Stinnett and "Pearl Harbor: The Mother of All Conspiracies" by Willey and you'll find ALL THE DOCUMENTATION YOU'LL NEED TO PROVE MY POST ABOVE CORRECT, in fact it ain't me, but the authors themselves who will be convincing ya..... or do an ostrich imitation like plenty others here "and shove your head into the sand"

Also my post above in NO WAY disparaged Mr. Elliot Jr., who was as much a victim of circumstances beyond his control as the 3000 other veteran and civies killed that day, by a plot by FDR to get America into WWII, by ANY MEANS NECESSARY, NO MATTER THE COST.

Mike
View Quote
Novels are not documentation.

Just because I don't buy into some whacked out conspiracy because some author "said so", does not make me an ostrich.  I know, anyone who disagrees with you is an ostrich...neo-con.....moron.........etc, blah, blah, blah.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know, anyone who disagrees with you is an ostrich...neo-con.....moron.........etc, blah, blah, blah.
View Quote

Bingo. Funny how that works, eh? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
That must have been hard to cope with, knowing the consequences of your unheeded warning.  Maybe he can give Franklin Roosevelt a kick in the nuts in the after life..  I know my grandfather would if given the chance.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Well if it isn't a conspiracy, then it's just plain ignorance. Why else would you ignore a radar operator's warning?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well if it isn't a conspiracy, then it's just plain ignorance. Why else would you ignore a radar operator's warning?
View Quote

Because radar was very new and untrusted?

So let me get this right. FDR bombed Pearl Harbor?

Just when I thought I had read everything here!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

As others have posted the real shame is that someone does not have enough class, taste, and decorum not to post the above in this thread detracting from the death notice of George E. Elliott Jr.

The thread was about him not you and not your crackpot fantasies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top