Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 10:26:42 PM EDT
For detailed information on R. Lee Ermey Celebrity Experience events, visit
www.ermeyexperience.com

Ermey’s 3-day fund-raiser

Listen up, maggots! Marine icon R. Lee Ermey will lead a group of Hollywood “good guys” to the Washington, D.C., area during the Sept. 11 weekend for a three-day fund-raiser for the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society and the Young Marines Association.

Ermey, aka “Gunny Hartman” of Stanley Kubrick’s classic film “Full Metal Jacket,” will begin the weekend on Sept. 10 at Quantico, Va., where more than 20 of his Hollywood friends will put on a free six-hour show for the leathernecks.

“They’re who I call the Hollywood ‘good guys.’ … They show up at all the charity events I do,” he said, but did not identify the entertainers.

On Sept. 11, Ermey and some of those friends will take part in a celebrity amateur golf tournament at Renditions Golf Course in Maryland — with tickets priced at $5,000 each. On the third day, Ermey will host “Gunny’s Ball and Auction,” a black-tie affair at the Madison Hotel in Washington, with tickets going for $150, but discounted for military personnel. That same day, he’ll hold a second charity golf tournament at Renditions, with $10 tickets for adults and $5 for teenagers and seniors.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

'Mail Call' Host Raises Money for Military Charities
By Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Aug. 16, 2004--- Though he's earned fame and fortune portraying rough and tough military figures on television and in feature films, R. Lee Ermey has a soft spot when it comes to caring for troops.

Ermey, popular host of the History Channel's "Mail Call," in which he answers questions about military technology, has put together the R. Lee Emery Celebrity Experience, a three-day event to raise money for servicemembers and their families.

The event benefits the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society and the Young Marines Association, for which Ermey is a spokesman.

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society provides financial, educational, and other assistance to members of the Naval Services of the United States, eligible family members and survivors when in need.

The Young Marines is a youth education and service program for boys and girls, ages 8 through completion of high school, which focuses on character building, leadership, and promotes a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.

Ermey said the fundraiser begins at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., Sept. 10 with more than 20 of his Hollywood friends putting on a free six- hour show for troops there. "They're who I call the Hollywood 'good guys,'" he said. "They show up at all the charity events I do," he said in a Pentagon Channel interview last week.

Ermey, who starred in "Full Metal Jacket" (1987), "The Boys of Company C" (1978) and "Apocalypse Now" (1979), said the show will feature music, entertainment and "a lot of comedy."

"A lot of the guys that do comedy seem to give of themselves when it comes to charity," he said. "They're good guys."

The show will be held the Little Hall Theater at Quantico. The event is free to all military personnel and family members with government ID.

On Sept. 11, Ermey, along with several of his Hollywood friends, will take part in a Celebrity-Amateur Golf Tournament at the Renditions Golf Course in Davidsonville, Md. Tickets for the event are $5,000 each.

The next evening, Sept. 12, will be the "Gunny's Ball and Auction." The black-tie affair will be held at the Madison Hotel in downtown Washington. Tickets are $150, with discounts available for military personnel

A second charity golf tournament is planned Sept. 12 at the Renditions course. Tickets for that event are $10 for adults and $5 for teenagers and seniors. Children under 12 are admitted free.

Ermey said part of the reason he decided to start the event over the Sept. 11 weekend was because that date commemorates the "hugest disaster that has ever hit America."

"When we were thinking about date, this is one that sticks in everyone's mind," he said. "Nobody can forget about what happened to us on Sept. 11 (2001)."

He said the very servicemembers and families that he is trying to help are away from their families in Afghanistan and Iraq because on one reason: 9/11.

Ermey said he wants to do whatever he can to make life easier for the troops fighting the war and their families. "If their families are having financial problems back here, that's got to be weighing pretty heavy on a troop's mind that's out there actually hands-on fighting the war," he said. "So we need to take that worry away … and we need to look out after these families."

He said he hopes to make the fundraiser an annual event. "It's going to be every year in September," he said. The charity event is just one to the ways Ermey has given back to the military. Born in Emporia, Kan., on March 24, 1944, Ermey joined the Marine Corps in 1961 when he was 17, and served nearly two tours in Vietnam.

Injuries cut short his military career short, and in 1972 he was medically retired at the rank of staff sergeant. But the Marine Corps later promoted Ermey to the honorary rank of gunnery sergeant, he said.

Still, Ermey said, he never retired from the service, and he is just as active today with the Corps as he's ever been.

"I tell people I've been in the Marine Corps for 44 years," he said of his continued involvement with the service.

"I don't put 'RET' (Retired) behind Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey," he explained. "I put: Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermey (Very Active)."

Ermey said he attends five or six Marines Corps Birthday Balls each year as the guest speaker or guest of honor.

In December, Ermey's attention turns to "Toys For Tots," a Marine Corps Reserve charity he actively supports. Ermey also finds time to spend with troops in the field, he said.

Last year, he took his "Mail Call" show to Iraq. After shooting the show, he sent his production crew home. He then spent the next seven days staying with his fellow Marines in the field. He said he traveled by helicopter to 34 different locations and talked to as many Marines as he could.

"I try to stay as involved as I can with the troops, and I love going into the field with the troops," he said.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

August 20, 2004
Gunny storms National Capital Region to support troops

Photo courtesy of Zaring/CIOFFI
Retired Marine Corps Staff Sgt. R. Lee Ermey will host a three-day NMCRS fundraiser Sept. 11 weekend.

by JO3 Stephen Murphy
The Waterline

Retired Marine Corps Staff Sgt. and Hollywood star R. Lee Ermey will host a three-day fundraiser in the National Capital Region during the Sept. 11 anniversary weekend to benefit Sailors and Marines around the world.

The R. Lee Ermey Celebrity Experience, a three-day benefit, will include a live presentation of Ermey's hit show "Mail Call," The Gunny's Ball and a celebrity golf tournament. All proceeds will benefit the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society (NMCRS) and the Young Marines Youth Organization.

"Mail Call Live" will take place Friday, Sept. 10 in the Little Hall Theater on Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va. This event will feature music, comedy and more than 25 Hollywood celebrities. Mail Call Live is free to all military personnel and family members with a government I.D.

The Gunny's Ball will take place Saturday Sept. 11 at 8 p.m. This is a black-tie gala that will begin with cocktails and dinner at the Madison Hotel in northwest D.C. After the dinner, guests will be led across the street by the United States Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps to the Home Builders Association building to enjoy a live auction and performances by celebrity attendees. Tickets for the ball are $150 and discounts are available for military personnel.

The R. Lee Ermey Celebrity Experience will conclude Sunday, Sept. 12 with the "Bad Golf, Good Cause" celebrity-only golf tournament at Renditions Golf Course in Davidsonville, Md.

Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for teens and seniors, and free for children under age 12.

Ermey is a two-tour veteran of the Vietnam War and has acted in more than 60 films including "The Boys in Company C", "Apocalypse Now" and most notably as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in the 1987 Stanley Kubrick-directed film "Full Metal Jacket."

Ermey said even though he was medically retired from the Marine Corps in 1971, he has always remained a part of the military and he can't think of a better way to support the troops and the War on Terror than by supporting those who are fighting for the cause.

"I'm too old to charge up that hill and kill the bad guys anymore but I want to do something to pull my share of the load for the war," Ermey said. "I looked around and found that the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society is stretched so thin because they have so many families they are trying to help.

"What is the most important thing to a (service member) fighting the war in Iraq?" asked Ermey. "The most important thing to him is his family back home. We have to help these families so that these young men in the combat zones can get that out of their minds and take care of the business at hand."

Ermey added that he is not just supporting NMCRS for the troops who are directly fighting in the war against terrorism, but for all service members around the world who find themselves in need.

During its 100-year existence, NMCRS has helped nearly 4 million clients - including Ermey himself.

"The Navy Marine Corps Relief Society has always been here for us," Ermey said. "I can recall when I was a young PFC (private first class) and I needed to go on emergency leave when my grandfather died." Ermey was directed to his local NMCRS office and found "the Navy Relief was right there for me with a check for $200 so I could take care of business."

In 2003 alone, NMCRS handled more than 44,000 financial assistant cases and provided $34.1 million in financial emergency aide to support the active and retired communities of the sea services.

Proceeds going to the Young Marines Youth Organization (YMYO) will support some of today's youth who will have an impact on society's future.

"I am the spokesperson for the Young Marines and I can't think of a better way to get young people started off on the right foot than to get them when they are young."

The Young Marines Youth Organization promotes the mental, moral and physical development of youth ages eight to 18. Funds raised by the Celebrity Experience will help the organization with its variety of activities designed to develop greater self-esteem, discipline and self-confidence in its members. Members of the Young Marines make a pledge to maintain a drug-free lifestyle and are encouraged to influence family, friends, and schoolmates to share this commitment.

The dates for Ermey's Celebrity Experience fall on the third anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the United States and Ermey said it isn't coincidental.

"We all know what happened on September 11," Ermey said. "That's a big day in the history of this country. We went under attack and we were assaulted when the bad guys hit.

"It's the anniversary of the worst day we ever had in this country so we are going to do something good for that day. We hope that together we can turn the memory of a national tragedy into a celebration of the men and women serving our country."

Ermey encourages everyone to do their part and help him do his part to support service members.

"There isn't a family in America that doesn't have a son, daughter, niece, nephew or friend of somebody in the military in the war fighting. This is why we need to help the cause."

For detailed information on R. Lee Ermey Celebrity Experience events, visit www.ermeyexperience.com.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Ermey's pretty cool
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck +1 YEA!

Quoted:
Ermey's pretty cool

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
good guy!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ooo-Rah!

Semper Fi.

Couldn't have said it better myself!   Ermey OWNS j00!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, wonder what Gunny "Two tours in VN" Ermey's take on Mr. Kerry's service record is?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#7]
What a magnificent bastard that man is............
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice lead up to the sunset.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#9]

"Tonight, you pukes will sleep with your rifles. You will give your rifle a girl's name, because this is the only pussy you people are going to get. Your days of finger-banging ol' Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her pretty pink panties are over! You're married to this piece. This weapon of iron and wood. And you will be faithful!"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:00:15 AM EDT
[#10]
That flick is so quotable.

"CHOKE YOURSELF!!!"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That flick is so quotable.

"CHOKE YOURSELF!!!"

"NOT WITH YOUR HAND, WITH MY HAND"
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What a magnificent bastard that man is............

+1

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I wondeer who the good guys he speaks of that go to the Charities with him. I hope to see this list of actors. Gunny is a great guy glad to still see him around. I guess the History Channel knew what they were doing when they gave him is own show. Semper Fi!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll be the first to say it.

R. LEE FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008.

I would PAY big bucks to watch him debate Hitlary.

"SENATOR CLINTON, DO YOU STILL BELIEVE THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD "TAKE" THINGS FROM THE PEOPLE FOR THE "COMMON GOOD?."  WELL, YOU LITTLE MAGGOT!  YOU MAKE ME WANT TO VOMIT!   ONLY A SLIMY LITTLE COMMUNIST SHIT TWINKLE TOED COCKSUCKER WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT.   WELL, CLINTON?   WHAT'S YOUR ANSWER?????

SENATOR CLINTON, WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION.   THAT WOULD BREAK MY FUCKING HEART!"

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Gonzo:
That's a pretty damn funny observation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hmm, wonder what Gunny "Two tours in VN" Ermey's take on Mr. Kerry's service record is?

I wonder...  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#17]
"Last year, he took his "Mail Call" show to Iraq. After shooting the show, he sent his production crew home. He then spent the next seven days staying with his fellow Marines in the field. He said he traveled by helicopter to 34 different locations and talked to as many Marines as he could."

HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!

What Bullshit!

He spent the next seven days shooting Iraqis.  THEN he talked to the troops....Then shot more Iraqis.

He is a good man.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
"Last year, he took his "Mail Call" show to Iraq. After shooting the show, he sent his production crew home. He then spent the next seven days staying with his fellow Marines in the field. He said he traveled by helicopter to 34 different locations and talked to as many Marines as he could."

HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!

What Bullshit!

He spent the next seven days shooting Iraqis.  THEN he talked to the troops....Then shot more Iraqis.

He is a good man.

For real?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]
i got to meet the gunny this summer. he was at the salt lake city autorama sighning autographs and talking to evry one at lenghth. we had to wait in line a very very long time because the guy is so friendly that he bullshits with evryone for quite a while. he met my daughter and gave her a very cool coin with the history channel logo on one side and his logo on the other. he posed for pictures with anybody who wanted him to.a very down to earth guy its hard to imagine a nicer guy. busted his balls a little about his part in saving silverman and he just laught it off saying he always wanted to play a homicitel homosexual football coach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top