Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/18/2004 2:55:45 PM EST
Today I went to Deputy Brandy L. Winfield's funeral in Marion Ohio. It was truly an awesome site to see the outpouring of officers from jurisdictions across the state. I would venture to guess there were approximately 1500 to 2000 officers in attendance and there was a procession of cruisers at least 5-6 miles long. I was proud and somber to stand next to brother officers as Brandy was laid to rest. Cleveland PD sent their Drums and Pipes and I was very impressed. His wife spoke at the funeral and she was stronger than I would have imagined. I shed a few tears while she spoke. There was the riderless horse and a flyover of helicopters (not sure if they were SO copters from the reigon or what). They did the final roll call and again I shed tears. The rain was coming down, and the wind was blowing yet there were Officers from everywhere there to pay final respects to a brother who was gunned down in cold blood. I even spoke to a few Akron motor officers who had to ride home in the pouring rain, but it did not damper their spirts. I was truly in awe at the outpouring I witnessed.

One thing I saw summed up the way the community felt about this officer. I was driving my cruiser in the procession between the funeral and the cemetary and the streets were lined with citizens to watch the spectacle. Standing on a corner was a young girl probably 14-15 years old. She stood in the rain holding an american flag and a simple sign. The sign said "Thank you".

Thank you Deputy Brandy L. Winfield. Rest in peace brother, we will walk your beat from here...

----------------------------------------------------

A Part of America Died
Somebody killed a policeman today,
and a part of America died.
A piece of our country he swore to protect,
will be buried with him at his side.
The suspect who shot him will stand up in court,
with counsel demanding his rights,
While a young widowed mother must work for her kids,
and spend alone many long nights.
The beat that he walked was a battlefield too,
just as if he'd gone off to war.
Though the flag of our nation won't fly at half mast,
to his name they will add a gold star.
Yes, somebody killed a policeman today,
It Happened in your town or mine.
While we slept in comfort behind our locked doors,
a cop put his life on the line.
Now his ghost walks a beat on a dark city street,
and he stands at each new rookie's side.
He answered the call, and gave us his all,
and a part of America died.
--------------------

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:06:26 PM EST
A sad day indeed. A senseless loss of life.
We flew into the Marion Airport this morning and talked with the pilots that were there for the fly-by. 3 Columbus P.D. 500Es and an A-Star from the O.S.P.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:09:02 PM EST
Cool... I wondered where they were from... it was hard to sneak a peek from the position of attention...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:45:11 PM EST
posted by LPDtactical

They did the final roll call and again I shed tears

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who does this...every year it gets harder for me to attend a fallen officer's funeral. My prayers go out to his family, comrades in arms and friends.

Grant eternal rest to Deputy Winfield; God be with you, Brother!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:45:21 PM EST
Blessed are the peace makers, for they shall have peace. JC, 31 AD
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:52:52 PM EST
Funeral services for a fellow officer can be every bit as difficult as for a family member because that's what we are.

The last LEO funeral I went to was for a local WSP Trooper shot and killed on a traffic stop. At the end of the service they played the audio from his last completed shift when he checked out of service. I will never forget that. I'm gettin a lump just thinkin about it.

They are a spectacular display and they should be.

RIP Deputy Winfield.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:07:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:35:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:21:41 PM EST
Rest my brother, God bless and thank you for your unselfish love for the people of your jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:38:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:32:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:07:27 AM EST
Rest in Peace brother
Top Top