Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 9:11:54 AM EDT
Its 5 weeks and I was wondering if it starts out like a smoke session sort of thing like a airborne school/ basic thing or if its more hands on teaching.  any ROTC cadets here?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not like BCT.  There are no drill sergeants around yelling at you and you treated more like cadets/soldiers than children.  It is fast paced, but you will have times where you are sitting around.  First couple days are paperwork and medical days.  You'll get checked out again and do flight physicals if you need one.  You'll also take an APFT the within about 4 days of arrival.  

After you get done with the paperwork garbage, you'll start getting evaluations and doing the field work.  You'll do BRM, gas chamber, Audie Murphy Assault Course, CWST, Recondo, Land Nav, etc.  You'll also do squad STX lanes and Patrolling.  

All in all, it's not a bad time.  There are times you'll be bored, but most of your time will be spent doing Oporders, training, etc.  Don't expect a pass except maybe a local area pass to the PX.

Are you going next summer?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I think yall sit around and learn the secret handshakes and how to tell your first PSG that he dont know shit from Shinola cause he aint got a sheepskin
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think yall sit around and learn the secret handshakes and how to tell your first PSG that he dont know shit from Shinola cause he aint got a sheepskin

hey i'm not like that, I have been enlisted.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was in boot camp we had some of those cadets come in and yell at us for a couple weeks. I guess that was their leadership training. They didn't get any respect from anybody and we just counted down the days until they were gone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think yall sit around and learn the secret handshakes and how to tell your first PSG that he dont know shit from Shinola cause he aint got a sheepskinhr

Ha.  They'll "fix" you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ha.  They'll "fix" you.

Awe come on guys there will always be officers and the ones that have lived life from the E-1 point of view will treat the troops better.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
This needs to be the opening interaction between you and your first PSG, preferably in front of the whole platoon.  

"Listen Up Sarge, Since the Officer and Gentleman that held my position last had an Early class date at (Insert badge or tab producing school here) you were left in charge of this platoon for a few days.  But Now Im here, Have no doubt that I am in fact In Command of this Platoon and Im going to teach you a few things about Leadership that you havent even dreamed about in  your 15 years in the service. "

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]
whats the scariest thing a 2nd LT can say?

Hey I've been thinking...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:23:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This needs to be the opening interaction between you and your first PSG, preferably in front of the whole platoon.  

"Listen Up Sarge, Since the Officer and Gentleman that held my position last had an Early class date at (Insert badge or tab producing school here) you were left in charge of this platoon for a few days.  But Now Im here, Have no doubt that I am in fact In Command of this Platoon and Im going to teach you a few things about Leadership that you havent even dreamed about in  your 15 years in the service. "

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Did ya have to call'em drill cadets?  We had some of those goobs from West Point do the same with us at Benning.  One was cool, the other was just a prick.  West Pointers are pretty high strung.  Not like us ROTC officers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My old college roommate from Texas A&M retired after 22 years in the army.  For a while, he was an ROTC instructor at U/FLA.  He tells some pretty good summer camp stories.

The impression I got from him was that it isn't nearly as rough as Boot Camp.  Mostly, they are looking to see who has leadership ability.  He said he had no problem giving bad evals to bad performers.

He said his biggest problems came with the female cadets.  Once at camp, they tended to be lewd, crude, and nude (in barracks).  More than one came on to him.  He said he always gave the talk that he was too old, too smart, and too vested to lose his career to some little tart.

He said he had a rule just for the females.  When he went to their barracks, he would announce himself and give them three minutes to cover up.  He said if he saw bare assess or breasts there would be hell to pay.

His opinion of women in the military isn't all that high.  He said some were good at their jobs, but too many of them were nothing more than a life support system for a vagina wrapped in a uniform.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I was there twice, once as a cadet and again as a 2LT playing opfor for patrolling.  Both have been the longest summers in my life (I feel my time would hae been better spent in front of a platoon).  If you know how to give an OPORDER and think you know how to be an infantry grunt you will be ok.  Learn the basic battle drills and STICK TO THEM.  When I was opfor I saw WAY too many John Waynes and not enough knowledge of 7-8.  When you are not in charge be the best damn joe snuffy you can be.  If you ever get to go to Ranger School or Sapper Leader Course this advise will come in useful there too.  It got me through both.

Drew

PS  if you have any more specific questions drop me a line at

[email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top