Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2010 8:13:02 PM EDT

U.S. House demands sounds from 'quiet' cars

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

http://detnews.com/article/20101216/AUTO01/12160445/U.S.-House-demands-sounds-from-‘quiet’-cars#ixzz18LIijSbU

Washington
— The House voted 379-30 today to require federal
safety regulators 18 months to set minimum sound levels from quiet
electric and hybrid vehicles - a move that will help warn blind
pedestrians.

The
Association of International Automobile Manufacturers praised the
measure. "We look forward to working with the Department of
Transportation to develop a workable and effective noise standard for
quiet vehicles," the group said.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Please, can someone direct me to specific part of your constitution that
requires the government mandate "minimum sound levels" for horseless
carriages?

How many deaf pedestrians have been run over by "quiet" cars?  1, maybe?  Un-fucking-believable.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
get your pre-ban hybrids now!?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
We have deer whistles already.  Now we need deaf whistles?  Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just tape baseball cards to the rims. That's what all the cool kids are doing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I vote for jetson's noises.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please, can someone direct me to specific part of your constitution that requires the government mandate "minimum sound levels" for horseless carriages?

How many deaf pedestrians have been run over by "quiet" cars?  1, maybe?  Un-fucking-believable.

I believe that here in GA there is still a law on the books that requires the operator of a horseless carriage to fire a pistol into the air before crossing an intersection of two roads. There is also a law that requires all able bodied men to carry a rifle with them to church services.  

You guys just need to elect the right officials so someone can make sure that starts happening again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Second that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You know how a train sounds maybe the electric cars should be required to make a sound with a similar rhythm. I think they should go… “fuckobamafuckobamafuckobamafuckobamafuckobam­afuckobama”

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe that here in GA there is still a law on the books that requires the operator of a horseless carriage to fire a pistol into the air before crossing an intersection of two roads. There is also a law that requires all able bodied men to carry a rifle with them to church services.  

If those laws were still applied, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Please, can someone direct me to specific part of your constitution that requires the government mandate "minimum sound levels" for horseless carriages?

We don't use it anymore.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]

They can already buy these mods online:

WOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btCAdhRB49w
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Relying on sound when crossing the street is a good way to get killed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#14]

funny, obama also passed a bill today for television commercials.  it says that they have to be of equal decibel level to t.v. shows. or some such requirements.

ETA:   here -  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121506065.html
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

Good grief there is a fucking trainload of WTF in that video.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Interstate commerce.

It covers 99.99% of all activity within the country.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds about par for the course.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet Bastard!
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#19]
heard somewhere that the dope dealers like the priuses because they are quiet. they roll up on you silently.

expect this.. if gov puts cow-bells on your hybrid, the local custom show will remove em..

hope, prey that come 2011 this braindead group of folks change their ways as many of them are sent packing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
They need an electronic doodad that says:

Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Suck my balls!
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

U.S. House demands sounds from 'quiet' cars
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

http://detnews.com/article/20101216/AUTO01/12160445/U.S.-House-demands-sounds-from-‘quiet’-cars#ixzz18LIijSbU

Washington
— The House voted 379-30 today to require federal safety regulators 18 months to set minimum sound levels from quiet electric and hybrid vehicles - a move that will help warn blind pedestrians.

The Association of International Automobile Manufacturers praised the measure. "We look forward to working with the Department of Transportation to develop a workable and effective noise standard for quiet vehicles," the group said.

I'm all for equal stuff to all, but so much is spent on a segment of the population that probably stays home, has a companion/friend, or a dog to help. I see brail on a restroom sign, but how in the hell do blind people even know the direction to get to a building, let alone find a restroom sign with brail that is 1/2inch tall. How many actually know brail?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#22]
They need cars that go "Whooo Whooo!"
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
anyone have the list of the 30 that voted against it, so we can give them an ataboy?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Ooops seen its already been posted above
forgot this one

http://www.asha.org/News/Advocacy/2010/Congress-Passes-Quiet-Commercials-Bill/
On December 2, 2010, the U.S. House of Representatives passed S.2847, the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act (CALM).
The bill requires the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) to develop
regulations that will end the practice of broadcasters increasing the
volume of television advertisements as a means of getting the consumers'
attention. The bill has already passed in the Senate, and now goes to
the White House to be signed into law by President Obama.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

funny, obama also passed a bill today for television commercials.  it says that they have to be of equal decibel level to t.v. shows. or some such requirements.

ETA:   here -  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121506065.html

Wow! I thought, for once, that Obama did something I liked.  Then I looked it up and realized that the bill makes it so that they have to comply with the equal decibel level requirements in 2 years.

Oh well, now I'm right back to 'Fuck Obama!'
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow! I thought, for once, that Obama did something I liked.  Then I looked it up and realized that the bill makes it so that they have to comply with the equal decibel level requirements in 2 years.

I just looked too. I was just watching Thursday Night Football and my fiance was sleeping in the same room, and I had it a decent level so I could hear good and sure enough a Panasonic commercial comes on and I didn't get to the remote in time and woke up my fiance. That commercial made me turn the volume down 6 levels on my tv.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Interstate commerce.

It covers 99.99% of all activity within the country.

The interstate commerce clause was intended to prevent states from participating in commerce wars. The power was given to the federal government to pass laws that prevented New York from putting a tariff on goods from Maine, for example. It was not intended to give the federal government the authority to regulate anything that affects commerce in another state.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
anyone have the list of the 30 that voted against it, so we can give them an ataboy?

your posts per day number is quite staggering, bordering on GseriesFAL epicdome...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:09:43 PM EDT
[#29]
What power does Congress have?

Why absolute power of its comatose electorate.  They prove it every time they re-elect one of those scoundrels to office.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, we all know the parliamentary system is so much better, eh?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#31]
My feelings on this are mixed.  

Do I think the federal government should be doing this at all?  No.

Am I glad the legislature is enacting law rather than bureaucrats implementing law through administrative rulings (e.g. the EPA)?  Yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If they are deaf it could be a fucking freight train coming down main street and they wouldnt hear it...WTF???
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

WOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

Good grief there is a fucking trainload of WTF in that video.

Yeah it's a classic. It's own meme.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The Constitution isn't the entirity of US Laws.  We have the United States Code as well you know.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

WOOOOOOOOOOoooooo

guy runs a stop sign about 2/3 through that vid
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
On the plus side it could give you a heads up for the impending drive-by for those eco-terrorist hits...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I feel suddenly encouraged to drive to church.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Constitution isn't the entirity of US Laws.  We have the United States Code as well you know.

You are correct, but the Constitution is the entirety of the US authority. Without the basis in the Constitution the law has no foundation.

But, you knew that.....right?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright  Excellent. I like it.lets spread that around the country.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just looked too. I was just watching Thursday Night Football and my fiance was sleeping in the same room, and I had it a decent level so I could hear good and sure enough a Panasonic commercial comes on and I didn't get to the remote in time and woke up my fiance. That commercial made me turn the volume down 6 levels on my tv.

Shoulda bought the new Panosonic TV
Mine has a great sound audio leveling built in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:05:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Well this is a good thing to tell people who ask why my truck is straight piped. I'm doing it for the blind kids.

Seriously though, is this really an issue? Do we need to sell a Prius with a euro siren installed that constantly runs when driving through urban areas?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Obviously electric cars are too dangerous & should be banned for traveling on public roadways.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:06:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

They need cars that go "Whooo Whooo!"

That's only in the mo'nin. You sposed to be up cookin' breakfast for sombody.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:16:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just tape baseball cards to the rims. That's what all the cool kids are doing.

Are there any effects on performance?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:43:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Akin

Barrett (SC)

Broun (GA)

Campbell

Chaffetz

Coffman (CO)

Flake

Franks (AZ)

Garrett (NJ)

Graves (GA)

Hensarling

Hunter

Kingston

Lamborn

Linder

Lummis

Mack

McClintock

Miller (FL)

Nunes

Paul

Poe (TX)

Price (GA)

Reed

Shadegg

Shuster

Stutzman

Westmoreland

Wilson (SC)

Young (AK)

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll640.xml

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Loud Pipes Save Lives
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I am not an expert, but I believe they're all "quiet cars" where deafness is concerned.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Second that.

All in favor, say Aye.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Mabey they can make it a musical sound and play " it's a small world after all" while the cars are in motion...  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top