Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 3:34:15 PM EDT
1972 IH Scout, 345 V8, 3 speed manual, 4WD, seems to be in decent shape. Couple of spots of rust thru metal, couple small dings, no A/C,.

Has power steering, gauges, and most everything seems to be in decent shape.

Anything I need to look for, anythng I should know? Owner is asking $2800, prolly not willing to negotiate much if at all.

Kooter, can you help???

TIA, everyone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:00:33 AM EDT
PAGING KOOTER!

I've heard that parts are impossible to find on Scouts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:47:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:01:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:
PAGING KOOTER!

no kidding I only saw two of them at the dream cruise last weekend. And you can see a ton of about anything out there. I even saw one of those old boat cars for the 60s?

Anywho the scouts are awesome, but they are indeed hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:19:25 AM EDT
The biggest area of concern for rust, to me atleast, are the rocker panels and the body mounts under the driver and passenger floor boards. Once those go you start having body sag problems, and they can be a little difficult to replace. Most other rust can be covered, or cut out depending on how much work you want to put into it.

345 is an awsome motor! Parts are readily available at either NAPA or autozone, the parts that can't be found there are available all over the net. 345 should get about 10 miles to the gallon on the freeway.......if you are lucky You can play with the carb and get it a little higher than that, but usually not too much. Take it for a test drive and see how much it wants to "wander" down the road. I've had several that would try to wander off the road often if I wasn't paying extremely close attention. Have to take it on the freeway, or a long straight stretch of road where you can go atleast 60mph for a bit to test it. Kind of fun once you get used to it, keeps you on your toes

Check and make sure the 4wd works. 72 had drum brakes front and rear, so the breaking system is not the greatest sometimes.

For me to buy that Scout it would have to be darn near rust free for that price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:21:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Originally Posted By deej86:
PAGING KOOTER!

no kidding I only saw two of them at the dream cruise last weekend. And you can see a ton of about anything out there. I even saw one of those old boat cars for the 60s?

Anywho the scouts are awesome, but they are indeed hard to find.

Just need to know where to look
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:22:42 PM EDT
Owner was telling me he gets 17mpg on the highway with this thing. I thought that was a bit unrealistic.

It seems like a decent vehicle, but I aint gonna get in a hurry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:57:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LongueCarabine:
Owner was telling me he gets 17mpg on the highway with this thing. I thought that was a bit unrealistic.

It seems like a decent vehicle, but I aint gonna get in a hurry.

I HIGHLY doubt that he gets that kind of mileage unless he has fuel injected it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:17:09 PM EDT
farm equipment is best left on the farm. if you plan on using it for 'wheeling, it'll take HEAVY modification to overcome the "slow, heavy-ass turd" status.

guy i know wheels a Scout that only has the transfer-case left of the stock drivetrain and he's STILL upgrading parts. before long, it'll be a 1-ton chebby (or a deuce-and-a-half, he hasn't decided) with a scout body.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:04:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tweeder:
farm equipment is best left on the farm. if you plan on using it for 'wheeling, it'll take HEAVY modification to overcome the "slow, heavy-ass turd" status.

guy i know wheels a Scout that only has the transfer-case left of the stock drivetrain and he's STILL upgrading parts. before long, it'll be a 1-ton chebby (or a deuce-and-a-half, he hasn't decided) with a scout body.

Top Top