Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/25/2005 7:38:23 AM EDT
My father recently passed away, he was a Marine Corps veteran of WWII, I have no further info about his military service. I heard that he might be eligible for death benefits from the government.

Would anyone know who I would need to contact concerning this matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:41:00 AM EDT
The funeral home you used should be able to help, or the vetrans agent in your town. You'll need a copy of his discharge papers.(DD214) It is like 250 dollars I believe. They may also pay for a marker not totally sure on that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:53:40 AM EDT
You can request a copy of his records here...
www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/index.html

Also, contact your local VFW or American Legion Post. Their service officer can probably help you out as well.

My condolences for your loss.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:59:21 AM EDT
I have no idea but I'm sorry for your loss.

Patty

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:03:44 AM EDT
Thank you all very much for your help and condolences.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:11:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 8:13:38 AM EDT by nightowl7]
Sorry to hear about the death of your dad.Most county court houses have a full time veterans affairs officer.If not contact the V.A. hospital near you or veterens affairs office in your area.You'll need his full name social security account # and may need to fax copy of discharge.[in wwII service numbers were different than ss#s[check with older family members if possible]If he is a decorated veteran and probably was, have that information.[silver star and medal of honor recipients recive full honors burial at no charge to you or your family.Any honorably discharged veteran recives a American flag to be draped over the coffin if that has'nt changed over the years.Any man who served in wwII in the Marine Corps [GIRINE]has the respect of myself and many others and had the courage to protect freedom and his country at great personal sacrifice to himself. May God bless you and your family during this time. Lee PS send e-mail if you need anything.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 8:12:53 AM EDT by Agcsy]

Originally Posted By WolfWarrior-61:
My father recently passed away, he was a Marine Corps veteran of WWII, I have no further info about his military service. I heard that he might be eligible for death benefits from the government.

Would anyone know who I would need to contact concerning this matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Contact a casualty assistance office. They handle everything.

www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1952478&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:12:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsWildweasel:
The funeral home you used should be able to help, or the vetrans agent in your town. You'll need a copy of his discharge papers.(DD214) It is like 250 dollars I believe. They may also pay for a marker not totally sure on that.

Thats all that is usually provided. They sent an honor guard to my Grandfathers funeral. I dont know if they do that anymore. But he was a Vietnam vet and it was quite nice to have the flag drapped and the rifle salute. Made a horrible thing much more tolerable. Its a plain white marker like they have in Arlington. But it has the class of simplicity.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:13:08 AM EDT
if after trying the above you still can't get anywhere, contact the local VFW.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:14:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:

Originally Posted By MrsWildweasel:

Thats all that is usually provided. They sent an honor guard to my Grandfathers funeral. I dont know if they do that anymore. But he was a Vietnam vet and it was quite nice to have the flag drapped and the rifle salute. Made a horrible thing much more tolerable. Its a plain white marker like they have in Arlington. But it has the class of simplicity.

If he was a retiree then he will get everything. If he was a seperated veteran he will get at the minimum an honor guard and his family will have a flag presented to them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:07:29 AM EDT
Casualty Assistance Section (MRPC)
3280 Russell Road
Quantico, VA 22134-5102

Comm: 703-784-9512
DSN: 278-9512
Toll Free: 1-800-847-1597
Fax: 703-784-4134, DSN (278)

http://www.vba.va.gov/Survivors/
http://www.taps.org/
https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1938196&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:52:44 AM EDT
Tag for the future need for this info.
Top Top