Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2002 10:01:24 PM EDT
There is a long list of guns exempted from the AWB. In this list is the Mini-14 and 10/22 by Ruger. However next to both in parentheses is (w/o folding stock). Now if these guns are EXCEMPTED from the AWB then adding a folding stock should be legal. So if a 10/22 had a folding stock at the time of the ban it falls under it but if I buy one now it doesn't AND I can add a folding stock and all the goodies? How can you exempt guns w/o a folding stock from the evil feature list and make folding stocks an evil feature? And then ban ones with a folding stock when they're supposed to be exempted from the folding stock provision?

CRC
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 1:54:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking at a copy of the AWB from the BATF.  There is no list of exempted guns in there.  By definition of the law the Mini-14 clearly falls under the pervue of the AWB.  It is legal because it does not have any evil features.  You could still add a pistol grip, but a folding stock would require two evil features (pistol grip and the stock) and would therefore be assembling an assault weapon.  

Where do you get the list of exempted guns?  

Ross
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd recommend not using the term "SAW" for these types of rifles. SAW is a military designation for squad automatic weapon... a medium-duty machine gun. The anti's have wrongfully but very effectively used military designations to give standard semiautomatic rifles a false sense of unnecessary evil. Using AW is bad enough but SAW is well over the top for AR-15s.

BTW, Bill Ruger had a history of pushing for magazine limits and rifle bans. He did this by his own public words... "to preserve the gun industry" but when, true in fact, he was trying to preserve Ruger, Inc. profits from competition.

At one time, Ruger was king with their .357mag and 44mag revolvers (Dirty Harry Movie) and the 10/22 and mini-14. They were the "King of the Hill" to speak. However, as the 80's became to close, the 9mm semi-automatic handgun's popularity and the AK/AR rifles began to hurt Ruger's sales. Customers were no longer interested in buy revolvers, they wanted semi-automatic handguns. The younger generation wanted AKs and ARs over 10/22s and mini-14s.

Ruger had a real serious problem and was having financial difficulties. They countered by producing a line of semi-automatic handguns but these did not sell well (probalby due to the mediocre reviews in magazines where Ruger heavily advertises). So what to do? Well, Bill decided that legislation banning the competition would do. He pushed for magazine limits that would hurt semi-automatic handgun sales and bring shooters back to revolvers (or so he thought). He also pushed for AK and AR bans.

He was a very selfish man who stopped believing in the Bill of Rights. Profits became his greed. May the SOB rest peacefully in 7734.
Link Posted: 12/2/2002 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where do you get the list of exempted guns?
View Quote

Ross, the list is in Appendix A, and is incorporated by reference in the text of the AW ban you're looking at in 922(v)(3)(A).

You can find Appendix A down near the bottom of the page here [url]http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Circuits-

That's a heck of a list.  I don't understand why they bothered to list out a bunch of guns anyway that don't meet the definition of an assault weapon.  

I mean they define an assault weapon as "A semiautomatic rifle that has the ability...blah, blah, blah..."  It seems pretty lame to list guns like an Armsport 1866 Sharps single shot rifle when it obviously can't meet the definition of an AW.  

Oh well, who said the law had to make sense.

Ross
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. A bs list.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#8]
They now have a ready made list of firearms to add to the banned list when the next weapons ban goes into effect.
[x]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand why they bothered to list out a bunch of guns anyway that don't meet the definition of an assault weapon.  

View Quote

From Troy:

First, this list is really just a list of guns that (in factory condition) aren't affected by the ban. They made this list purely for political reasons, so that they could tout how many guns were not affected.
View Quote

He's right; that was the only reason.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top