Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2002 1:10:14 AM EDT
[url]http://shamon.com/cora/petitiongate.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 3:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Why? Pretty much everything on that page is a lie. Here is what the link says:

[b] -It breaks the political backs of the judiciary and legislative branches of government. [/b]

Vague BS statement

[b] -It allows random arrests and detention without hearings or trials for anyone or any group designated by the President. Retroactive Prosecution, too! [/b]

Lie

[b] -It allows the concealment of Presidential records. [/b]

Lie

[b] -It permits secret "Military Tribunals" for presidentially-designated "terrorists". [/b]

Lie, although it does allow some anti-terrorist warrants to be sealed for National Security, the same way counterintelligence proceedings have been for decades, but the stuff still has to come out at trial.

[b] -It legalizes "sneak-n-peek" searches and seizures. [/b]

True, but we have been doing these against the mob for years.

[b] -It allows the unlawful infiltration and surveillance of legal, domestic religious, labor and political organizations. [/b]

Lie. Limited to foreign terroists

[b] -It allows the wholesale surveillance of private citizens, private business records and other materials without proof of probable cause. [/b]

Lie. It just allows the government to do the same kinds of surveillance that are legal for any private citizen (or local law enforcement) to do.

[b] -It destroys all e-mail and internet privacy... [/b]

Pure, utter BS

Ever read the Patriot Act? I have (my boss made me). The Patriot Act doesn't do any of that stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top