Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2002 5:18:15 PM EDT
Let me back peddle six years to help explain my dilemma.  In 1996 my house got robbed for the second time in nine years.  2-3 days before it occurred I came home from high school only to find a new Ford Taurus sitting in my driveway; no one was home.  I stopped adjacent to the property by the driveway as to not block it.  When the two-legged pile of jock itch noticed I was starring at him, he VERY quickly pulled out and left.  I told my mother and she told the police.  Not so much as a squad car on the adjacent corner to watch things.  Three days later my house was robbed.

Fast Forward three years.

1999:

I come home from college for Christmas break.  A few days into my vacation I found boot prints in the snow that went from the side of my garage to a window in the living room.  There were two holes bored in the screen of that window directly behind the latches to release it.  ( I wonder what this MFer was trying to do?!)  I told my mom, she told the police.  Three days later my neighbor’s house got ripped off for more than $7000 worth of their belongings.  WHILE the New Canaan Police Department was investigating over at my neighbors house, my mother walked over and told them about the complaint she had filed...the sacks of concrete had no record of it.

Today, 7:30PM:

My boss drops me off at home.  We are sitting in my driveway talking about stuff for about 20 minutes, like we usually do.  Now, I live at a [b]VERY[/b] quiet 4-way intersection in a strictly residential zone.  The East-West roads are both dead ends.  The only reason anyone has to go on them is to go to their respective homes.  If you have to turn around, it is done most conveniently in my driveway since I am on the corner...the only driveway on the four corners.  This happens a few times a week to the best of my knowledge.

Well, as I am sitting talking to my boss I notice an old Ford Bronco II coming down one of the non-"NO-OUTLET" (clearly posted) streets very slowly.  This individual and his passenger, both male, mid-late 20's, have shaved heads, are examining the houses (every one they pass) and go up and down [b]BOTH[/b] "NO-OUTLET' streets, which both have highly visible street signs.  When I say "examining houses" I don't mean just looking for street numbers.  All the numbers are on the mail boxes, which are adjacent to the driveways.  This does not require coming to a near stop in front of every house (not the mail box) and looking up and down its length.  When they were done with the second "NO-OUTLET" street, they headed back up the way they had come.  Both my boss and I quickly concluded that their behavior was suspicious.  I quickly jumped out of my boss' P/U truck as the two passed my driveway (we were about 5 yards apart).  When I went to get the license plate number, the guy driving noticed me standing on the edge of the street looking at the back of his vehicle.  I realized this because we made eye contact through his rear view.  He gave his heap of junk some gas and got out of sight, which is easy to do because about 50 yards from the edge of my property the road forms a steep hill.  Once over the top, the vehicle is out of sight.  I was only able to get the first three digits because my damned hedges got in the way as the vehicle pulled away.

Now, I hope to hell that I‘m just being paranoid.  However, the last two times I suspected something was up, a house got robbed.  My local PD has a history of not doing much in these situations, so what do I do?

[fixed title spelling from "caesd" - Paul]
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be on watch for the next several days.  But really, what exactly do you expect the Police to do??  They can't have a guy posted at your house for the next two weeks.  Why not have someone always at home for the next couple of weeks and take care of the problem yourself?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Drop some cash and get a male, adult, protection trained GSD.  Very smart, great with families, and no more problem.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't believe in taking chances, and I would burn a day off work if it were me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Along with all the other suggestions I would also inform all your neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Large dog.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let me back peddle six years to help explain my dilemma.  In 1996 my house got robbed for the second time in nine years.  2-3 days before it occurred I came home from high school only to find a new Ford Taurus sitting in my driveway; no one was home.  I stopped adjacent to the property by the driveway as to not block it.  
View Quote

I know hindsight is 20/20 but if I saw a car I did not know in MY driveway I'd sure as hell position my car so the fucker could NOT drive the car away. Then at least if the asshole escapes you have his car and some evidence for the police that they can't just ignore. Why did you purposely park so as to NOT block the car ?
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
At least (hindsight) get the plate # and a description.  Actually I think you did get a partial plate. That plus a vehicle description and a motivated detective or patrolman can really narrow down the candidates.

Everytime you report an incident or even suspicious behaviour to law enforcement, try to get a report number from them, even if you have to do it by mail or by going to the station.  That gives the few lazy ones an incentive to actiually doing something with the information, because there is a chance that if they don't, there might be repercussions.

If the PD has a history of not doing much with these kind of situations, it can be for many reasons.  But getting to know some officers can help get you an ear that wouldn't otherwise exist. Or simply follow up with the detective division.  And don't forget to recognize them when there's job well done in a thankless, dangerous line of work.  

One of the problems the agencies have is that the public is too often disinterested, or doesn't want to get involved.

Another is that in too many places, they don't even have time to respond to all the calls.

I prefer the positive approach before resorting to letters to the Chief, Mayor, City Council, etc.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
P.S. to add:  Some home invasion robberies start with the perps waiting for the arrival of the homeowner.  You may be very fortunate already.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems hard to believe that New Canaan police would be so lax as to have no record of your complaint. I would telephone with the partial plate, and vehicle description, and mention that it was not just you who thought they were behaving suspiciously. Then, get the cops fax number and send the same thing, the whole explanation in writing, then follow up to see that they got the fax, and ask who this will be assigned to.

New Canaan is a very wealthy community, so I would expect their customer service skills to be developed enough to handle your requests.

I would stick around the house for as long as I could and watch for the bastards and try to get more intel on them.

Know anyone who can house-sit when you're not around?
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
P.S. to add:  Some home invasion robberies start with the perps waiting for the arrival of the homeowner.  You may be very fortunate already.
View Quote

and some watch and wait for you to leave...
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in the ghetto so this is more like comparing apples to oranges....

We have a parking lot for the residents of our building only. It's private property with a posted No Parking Tow Zone sign. The lot is usually fairly well patrolled by our nazi towers. (I say nazi because i have been put in the position of having to bail a friend's car out of impound before even with a guest pass visible in the windshield... but i digress)

Last Thursday I came home from the office and observed a small Toyota with heavily tinted windows parked with the rear of the vehicle backed into a space facing the rear entrance to our building. The vehicle was occupied by two black male subjects in their mid-to-late 20's. Our parking lot is frequently used late at night for drug dealers to make the drop and I have occasionally observed dealers parked in a similar manner.

These guys were checking out my every move as I behaved normally unloading my work gear from my SUV and heading towards the entrance to the building. They were nervous but stayed in their car.

I entered the building (it's a secure electronic lock) and took the elevator to my floor. My wife was watching for me to arrive home and greeted me in front of the elevator when it opened. She asked if I had seen what was up in the parking lot and indicated they had been there for at least an hour.

We entered our unit and I grabbed the digital camera and an unnamed, but intimidating lookng firearm. I went out on the deck and started popping off flashes with the camera. The subjects started their car and squealed out of the lot quickly. The firearm was never revealed.

We have been watching for this vehicle but have not seen it since.

I love living in the ghetto. I will probably be shot and killed in a little while for revenge by these guys. Tweet has instructions to let you all know that I have died in the unfortunate event that I do.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
HAHAHA.

Good point, Energizer

Hey BD, If it was dark enough to do so unseen, you shoulda done your flashing from the deck of the most annoying neighbor.

Can you imagine having to drive while temporarily blinded by the light?[^]

A friend used to live across from a park, and his neighbor, a professional photographer, had a twisted sense of humor.  After dark, the unlit park was populated by teenage dope-smokers who often left a mess.  

The town in question had all the police they need.  This guy brought out a HUGE strobe flash and proceeded to set it off a couple of times in their direction after waiting for the flare of a lighter.  

My eyes weren't working so well, but I could hear them say stuff like "COPS!" "LETS SPLIT", "#%$%#",  and the sound of running feet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I forget what its called, but what if you take a double barrelled 12-gauge and strap it to a chair pointed towards the door (the one that you will NOT be using) and then you wire the trigger to the door so when it opens KA-BLAM!!! no more baddie.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I would definately get in touch with ALL of my neighbors.  I would inform them each of cars that are ok to be parked in my driveway.  I would ask the same of them if they seemed into it.  If a auto was in my drive or in front of my house I would ask that they contact me.  If it was in my drive, call the cops after they have tried my house and my cell.

We have been thinking of starting a neighborhood aware group.  We have had some things go on around our property we are not too fond of.  Especially drag racing and extreme driving speeds.  I live in a neighborhood with alot of children, a school not too far off and a park.  The police have been notified and do not seem to be doing much about this in particular.  We have talked about doing it online through an email group.  

I have contacted neighbors when I have seen suspicious cars around the area and they have done the same.  

I would also look at setting up video.  Could be your best chance of nailing these dirtbags. This seems to happen primarily in the daytime if I read correctly.  Ask any stay at home mothers or fathers if they will become more into neighborhood watch.  (I don't know much about this program but think I should look into it more)  I mean that as a literal translation rather than the program however.  

I would report what you saw with this bronco II to the police, in person, and ask for a copy of the report.  Your neighbors should be informed of the make, model and description.  Also describe the occupants to them as well.  Sometimes a hightened sense of community will do more than most things.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#19]
[b]iNuhBaDNayburhood[/b], haven't you freakin' moved yet????!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I forget what its called, but what if you take a double barrelled 12-gauge and strap it to a chair pointed towards the door (the one that you will NOT be using) and then you wire the trigger to the door so when it opens KA-BLAM!!! no more baddie.
Just a thought.
View Quote

In PRK, I think its it's called a crime.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just a thought.
View Quote

I think it's called a "future lawsuit".  [;D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Sucky situation. I live in the Hood too...Car got boosted a few weeks ago....always garage it, was parked around the corner for about 2 hours..gone, found in Newark, NJ (big suprise).

SgtAr15, you're right..what will the cops do? They SHOULD patrol areas night after night when something like that is going down...Suspicious cars get pulled over, that sort of thing. Instead, they're out on the interstate, nailing speeders.

Your tax dollars at work. Instead of working to protect the property you paid taxes on, they're out trying to get more by eagling you for traffic violations.

And I do NOT blame this on avg cops.... The problem comes from the top.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let me back peddle six years to help explain my dilemma.  In 1996 my house got robbed for the second time in nine years.  2-3 days before it occurred I came home from high school only to find a new Ford Taurus sitting in my driveway; no one was home.  I stopped adjacent to the property by the driveway as to not block it.  
View Quote

I know hindsight is 20/20 but if I saw a car I did not know in MY driveway I'd sure as hell position my car so the fucker could NOT drive the car away. Then at least if the asshole escapes you have his car and some evidence for the police that they can't just ignore. Why did you purposely park so as to NOT block the car ?
View Quote

Because I was 16 y/o and didn't want to get shot in the head.  Not trying to be a smart ass,, just telling the truth.  BTW, the neighbors already.  I contacted them before I started this thread.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Good luck and stay safe, slt223.

Paul - looks like you've one your homework and have a real handle on home security.  A web page would be great!
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have an idea that I always wanted to try on a car but I suppose it might work on a house also.

When you leave your house to go to work, leave the front and back doors WIDE open, a few lights on inside, windows unlocked, stereo playing, and a few semi-expensive goodies in plain sight thru the ajar doors. Then place large conspicuous signs around your dwelling which read "PLEASE ROB MY HOME". I would almost be willing to bet that nobody would mess with a thing.  Just MHO, I try to think outside the box, sometimes.
View Quote

If you do this, and have a sign that asks to be robbed, then you have no legal recourse when they do come to steal your stuff. You invited them in.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:03:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Add lights.

Add motion-sensing lights as well. (might also have these lights turn on inside as well)

Make your neighborhood as bright as possible.

If you have the money, wire up your home with cameras, and record everything. Do not do wireless cameras or wireless baby monitors, or the criminals will just watch your home, using your own cameras...

Get a good cordless phone that is hard to scan with a common every-day Radio-Shack "modified" or "unmodified" scanner, or just always use a land-line or cell phone.

Along with adding timers to turn on your lights, get one of those programmable remotes. Sony has a couple, some are quite expensive (like their Clie PDAs), but there are some out there that have timers on them. I have one from like 1991, and you can program TONS of buttons, (8 times), and you program on & off sequences to control your stereo, TV, VCR, etc. (It clones infra-red signals.) Just leave it on your coffee table and program in random times during the week to crank up your stereo. On Saturday nights, automatically crank that stereo up!!! (Or, if you have an old laptop where the IR port will transmit more than a foot, make your own IR program and add timers... pretty simple.)
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#28]
SLT:

I got cased by a couple of chowderheads posing as carpet cleaning service salesmen back in 1996.  When I asked where their store was, they gave me a location that I KNEW was an empty lot!  Just as I was reminding them of this, I noticed that they were craning their necks to look into my then cracker box rental house.  

To this day, I cannot believe the next part.  I closed the front door behind me, looked them both straight in the eye and said "If you boys are casing my house, let me tell you right now, I don't have sh!t worth stealing."  The look on their faces was priceless, and I am sure that the look on mine said that I was about to eat them alive.  They made a quick exit in their unmarked company car.  I guess that being dirt poor and p!ssed at the world, I was overcome with anger at the thought of a couple of dirtbags taking what little I had.

Anyway, SLT, the worse thing you could do is nothing.  In the very least, go door to door and tell your neighbors about the suspects and give them a vehicle description.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#29]
AND DON'T FORGET TO CLOSE YOUR GARAGE DOOR!!!  An open garage door is perfect for opportunistic crime!!!  Over 50% of residential burglaries happen as a result of leaving the garage door open!

Check out this little baby:
http://www.commtechresearch.com/autocloser.htm

:)
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#30]
[url]http://www.commtechresearch.com/autocloser.htm[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top