Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 4:49:04 PM EDT
This weekend I was bored and a friend of mine informed me that there was a RC plane show going on this weekend.  So we ventured out to see what the hype was about.  Saturday was the the test and tune day for the big event tomorrow.  I got a kick out of this because these were the size of the average person and the Jets had real turbines and ran on Jet-a fuel.  The jets could reach speeds of up to if not greater that 250 mph.  

Thought we had expensive hobbies......

Enjoy.  sorry I did not get many flying I was to busy looking in Awe!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Mustangs and all, but damn, that is a fine looking plane.  What is it?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I like Mustangs and all, but damn, that is a fine looking plane.  What is it?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/vedubin01/DSCN0075.jpg

F7F Tigercat....Grumman.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't no what it is about RC planes but I always stop and watch the guys who fly them by my house. Sounds like a neat, but expensive hobby.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandpa flies RC planes mostly bi-panes because all the other planes are to fast for him. Though he does have a wildcat with custom landing gear that i managed to make him save and a did have a a sea fury. He gave all his planes away after almost all of them were damged from flooding in katrina. Also took one of his bi-planes that wasnt beat up to bad. I hope he gets back into it
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They jets do not run turbines, they run regular, piston driven engines on alcohol/nitro full just like the other planes, they do not run jet fuel.  Just high nitro content alcohol 2 strokes with oil mixed in.

Ducted fans run normal fuel with higher oil content, but the turbine jets run jet a
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They jets do not run turbines, they run regular, piston driven engines on alcohol/nitro full just like the other planes, they do not run jet fuel.  Just high nitro content alcohol 2 strokes with oil mixed in.

Ducted fans run normal fuel with higher oil content, but the turbine jets run jet a

No they are Jet turbines and running on Jet A fuel.  They are about 5 to 15k each.  It sounds and works just like a real plane you and I would fly from Delta.  The smell is so good!

quick link for David on Turbine Jet RC planes
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
This is the king of all RC planes...

B-52 RC Video
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a sweet F-4 Phantom ducted fan RC a while back, it was sweet until I saw the $20k price for it that is lol
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

B-52 RC Video

Yes... that one was a shame.  IT was also stupid to fly it in such gusty conditions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

B-52 RC Video

I think THIS may be the king of all RC planes
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that out at Markham park?   I used to stop and watch the R/C aircraft after shooting on the range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Great pics........bet it was a great show...................
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is that out at Markham park?   I used to stop and watch the R/C aircraft after shooting on the range.

Correct!  

And the cool thing was we found a CQB club there as well.  So it was a total win for me today.  Even found time to do a little Rabbit hunting towards the end of the day.  Life was good today!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is mine.

Air scoop is functional ram air to my saito100 motor.

But then I found out it was sabotaged at the factory by slave labor and she is lost:

So this is more my speed now

and if you want big...(not mine)

Seems that dang slave labor got to the me262's too:(not mine)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
BIG RC is Beautiful!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I used to be into R/C planes, but got sick of rebuilding them every time I crashed!  lol

I used to always get comments about the size of them from the uninitiated.  They thought mine were gigantic, when in fact most of mine were 40 ci sized trainers and stunt planes.  Very modest.  Few people appreciate how big a plane needs to be to have controllable flight characteristics and indeed a low enough wing loading to even get off the ground.

The scale models in that show are for advanced modelers and pilots for the most part.  They are much more difficult to build than your standard 40 size trainer plane, and are WAY harder to fly, as they tend to fly much like their full sized namesakes.  Very difficult flying characteristics when you're on the ground and disconnected from any seat of the pants feedback from the aircraft.

Cool Stuff!  Almost makes me wanna sell my guns and go get into RC again...

I'm kidding, but still very cool!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#18]
There is an RC field about a mile and a half from my airport, located on the same golf course as the NDB into our airport. In the summer I have chased 1/4 scale aircraft back down below 300' or so just for the fun of it (while flying a 172). You should see how fast the get down when they realize I am manuvering for the kill!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#19]
^ Sounds like a good way to loose your license to me. Reminds me of that video of a fullsize beechcraft from Canada landing on a well marked RC field.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a guy working on a C-130 Herc using the new Jet cat Turboprop engine. That ought to be a sight!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There is an RC field about a mile and a half from my airport, located on the same golf course as the NDB into our airport. In the summer I have chased 1/4 scale aircraft back down below 300' or so just for the fun of it (while flying a 172). You should see how fast the get down when they realize I am manuvering for the kill!

Your going to fly into the wrong rc'er and get a intake full of sand or smoke oil can ye dead stick.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I used to have permission to fly RC at the municipal airport back in the day.  One day a Piper Cub was literally right over the field before I saw it!  I tried to land as fast as I could, but wound up with a box of sticks and a nice radio and engine for my next build!  he he eh
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
^ Sounds like a good way to loose your license to me. Reminds me of that video of a fullsize beechcraft from Canada landing on a well marked RC field.

I will not 'loose' my certificate for that. RC has no right to the airspace. What exactly do you think is wrong with screwing with them?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually, any club flying under AMA certs does have a right to the airspace. There should be some kind of agreement worked out with the local airport for when/where the rcers will be flying. As there should be no incomming or outgoing at the field.

Whats wrong with messing with rcers? I guess you have never had a bird stike. A plane will do far more damage. It's not worth it to die over chasing down a model plane.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your going to fly into the wrong rc'er and get a intake full of sand or smoke oil can ye dead stick.

Har! Air piracy! I love the very sound of that! BTW 172s have survived losing the entire wing outboard of the lift strut. The intake is redundant and balsa does not stand up well to a spinning Sensenich!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Sounds reckless to me, but hey, it's your life.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

That's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.  

Worst case for them:  they have to build another model.

Worst case for you: you die.

I don't care if you're Bob Hoover himself, better pilots than you have done dumber things and died.   And if they didn't die, they realized their mistake and didn't brag about it on the internet.

Sheesh.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Actually, any club flying under AMA certs does have a right to the airspace. There should be some kind of agreement worked out with the local airport for when/where the rcers will be flying.

Whats wrong with messing with rcers? I guess you have never had a bird stike. A plane will do far more damage. It's not worth it to die over chasing down a model plane.

You need to learn a little about physics my friend. I have repaired many a bird strike including a swan through a windscreen on a C150. The density of an RC plane is laughable compared to a flying Butterball like a Canadian goose. BTW I only screw with the modelers and would never get too close. They are more aware of me than I am of them.

And no, they have no arrangement with anybody that I have seen in nearly 20 years at my home base (The airport manager is a personal friend and I have worked for the city on the airport), seen published in local notams, or even depicted on the sectional charts. If you stray above 500' AGL you are pushing it. If you have a FAR I would love to see it. Not that I doubt something exists (like rocket launches or military training routes) but because I have yet to see RC specific regulation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:38:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, any club flying under AMA certs does have a right to the airspace. There should be some kind of agreement worked out with the local airport for when/where the rcers will be flying.

You need to learn a little about physics my friend. I have repaired many a bird strike including a swan through a windscreen on a C150. The density of an RC plane is laughable compared to a flying Butterball like a Canadian goose. BTW I only screw with the modelers and would never get too close. They are more aware of me than I am of them.

And no, they have no arrangement with anybody that I have seen in nearly 20 years at my home base (The airport manager is a personal friend and I have worked for the city on the airport), seen published in local notams, or even depicted on the sectional charts. If you stray above 500' AGL you are pushing it. If you have a FAR I would love to see it. Not that I doubt something exists (like rocket launches or military training routes) but because I have yet to see RC specific regulation.

That turning a 34-10 carbon kevlar prop on a 42 pound plane is softer than a bird

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't care if you're Bob Hoover himself, better pilots than you have done dumber things and died.   And if they didn't die, they realized their mistake and didn't brag about it on the internet.

Sheesh.

Yah, whatever. I am not talking about dogfighting here. I have had the top of a loop or hammerhead get up to 500' or so and have reversed my turn (to get their attention) while still at 800-1000 AGL. They get the idea that they should play down low and get there.

We have established ultralight patterns and pattern entry-exit routes that are to be flown at 500' and the RC field is in an established route. I would rather they get the warning from me than from one of my open cockpit ultralight aquaintences who stand a real chance of getting killed from the encounter.

I have enough experience to know what is safe and what is not.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.desertaircraft.com/images/engines/da150-01.jpg

That turning a 34-10 carbon kevlar prop on a 42 pound plane is softer than a bird

Touche' Desert Aircraft makes that for Giant scale IIRC. The speeds are such that a Cessna is still in little danger.

I am NOT dogfighting with these guys. I am simply letting them know how high they are getting. I am much more worried about the dozen or so airliners I work around everyday piloted by recent school graduates who bust altitude restrictions and decend on me at 300knts from the rear. After you look at the belly of a 737 with 500' vertical separation the quarter scale seems a little tame from the same distance.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sheesh.

You know when I reread that it does sound like I am going down to 300' with them. That is not the case. They get back down to 300'. I didn't have to go below 800' to get their attention. The separation is not much different than it would have been with another aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I would have thought so, based on some of your previous posts, but apparently not.  

If you really chased them to 300' AGL, you were in violation of FAR 91.119 (c) :

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above
the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In
those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to
any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

You'd likely also be tagged for violating FAR 91.13 ("Careless or reckless operation.") if only because the FAA likes to append that to almost every violation.

Perhaps some quality time with a CFI or an FAA Safety Counselor might be in order?

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#34]

The speeds are such that a Cessna is still in little danger.

so a 42 pound plane hitting a cessna at 75 mph will be like a leaf hitting the ground right?

if so, why did a 50% Decathlon take out 120 foot of chain link fence. First 3 steel poles was chopped in too by the prop at 1/4 throttle.

Theres a pic for size reference
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#35]
vedubin01, was this meet at Markham Park?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You know when I reread that it does sound like I am going down to 300' with them. That is not the case. They get back down to 300'. I didn't have to go below 800' to get their attention. The separation is not much different than it would have been with another aircraft.

That sounds more like the Planewrench whose posts I've read and enjoyed in the past

There's an R/C club on the NDB/GPS approach into Lake Elmo MN (21D).    They like to go up into the clouds on low days on the top of a loop or some such thing (seen it a bunch of times, and even did it once myself before I started flying full scale).   I fly out of another airport now .
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
vedubin01, was this meet at Markham Park?

yes
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

so a 42 pound plane hitting a cessna at 75 mph will be like a leaf hitting the ground right?

if so, why did a 50% Decathlon take out 120 foot of chain link fence. First 3 steel poles was chopped in too by the prop at 1/4 throttle.

www.scorpio.it/Hangar9/pics/04p.jpg

Or how about a 27lb model at 200+ mph :

Ouch.    

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

AFSC's 2A551A and 2A333A along with my BS in EE says your going to have problems. I've worked on a hole made by a turkey buzzard on landing going through the dome, front bulkhead and side of a c141. Alumn. and steel are far more dense than gizzards and a beak.

It only takes you and a new kid at the sticks to end it all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or how about a 27lb model at 200+ mph :

www.bvmjets.com/JetKits/F-4/rob_lynch.jpg

Ouch.    

See now you only have to worry about the fireball with them ;)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have thought so, based on some of your previous posts, but apparently not.  

If you really chased them to 300' AGL, you were in violation of FAR 91.119 (c) :

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above
the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In
those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to
any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

You'd likely also be tagged for violating FAR 91.13 ("Careless or reckless operation.") if only because the FAA likes to append that to almost every violation.

Perhaps some quality time with a CFI or an FAA Safety Counselor might be in order?

Dude, I do apologize. I expected you to be able to read my mind and abbreviated the experience in my post. When I reread it I realized that I meant the RCers went back down to 300' not that I followed them down there. It was more of a, "Hey, get your butt back down there!" type thing not a dogfight. I have nearly been killed enough times by things out of my control to know not to assist the process. The RCer was out of line, not me. If one of my ultralight buddies ate one of those I shudder to think of the consequences. IF for some reason, such as an RC model getting in my way without my seeing it, a collision should occur, from my experience as an aircraft mechanic and IA it would have to be a golden BB type thing to bring down a 172.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AFSC's 2A551A and 2A333A along with my BS in EE says your going to have problems. I've worked on a hole made by a turkey buzzard on landing going through the dome, front bulkhead and side of a c141. Alumn. and steel are far more dense than gizzards and a beak.

It only takes you and a new kid at the sticks to end it all.

Speed has a lot to do with it but see my above corrections as to the severity of my actions. I am not dogfighting with them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Ask digdug about the square rule for AC scale. Twice the size equals three times the weight IIRC. That is what makes some of the Jumbo Russian Antonov aircraft truely amazing.

Guys I do apologize for my initial post. I thought I had communicated more than I really did. Scaring some inattentive RCer to a more reasonable altitude and really trying to splash them are two different things. Planerench
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Dude, I do apologize. I expected you to be able to read my mind and abbreviated the experience in my post. When I reread it I realized that I meant the RCers went back down to 300' not that I followed them down there. It was more of a, "Hey, get your butt back down there!" type thing not a dogfight. I have nearly been killed enough times by things out of my control to know not to assist the process. The RCer was out of line, not me. If one of my ultralight buddies ate one of those I shudder to think of the consequences. IF for some reason, such as an RC model getting in my way without my seeing it, a collision should occur, from my experience as an aircraft mechanic and IA it would have to be a golden BB type thing to bring down a 172.

It looks like our posts were pretty close together and I was writing mine when you posted yours.   No biggie - thanks for the clarification.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Scaring some inattentive RCer to a more reasonable altitude

What happends if they shake the planes ass at you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#46]
The shoestring racer I had would do well over 100mph...

But the point is is if the rcers are a problem the best course of action would be to let the airport know you are uncomfortable (for your safety and your friends) with the rcers flying so close to your flight path.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ask digdug about the cube rule for AC scale. Twice the size equals three times the weight IIRC. That is what makes some of the Jumbo Russian Antonov aircraft truely amazing.

Guys I do apologize for my initial post. I thought I had communicated more than I really did. Scaring some inattentive RCer to a more reasonable altitude and really trying to splash them are two different things. Planerench

The square law is why my scale planes have fat ugly wings. All loads are off. But then it could be argued, as it has by some, that the wing shape has little to do with lift. Some have said Bernoulli is full of crap. Remember, it's an equation, not a law

a good read:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/bernnew.html
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
www.bvmjets.com

Yes!   I have the F-16.   The turbine conversion continues to beguile me, but I also have an RV6A project to think of...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
The shoestring racer I had would do well over 100mph...

But the point is is if the rcers are a problem the best course of action would be to let the airport know you are uncomfortable (for your safety and your friends) with the rcers flying so close to your flight path.

I was trying to defend a post that I didn't completely type. It is possible to have a bad collision with a large or even a small RC but what I did (as opposed to what I wrote) was far from dangerous. I was not trying to splash the guy but he got the idea that he needs to pay attention to his altitude with a real airport in close proximity. I was not worried about the RCer, heck I am truely afraid of the weekend warriors at the local aerodrome in full sized aircraft with no idea how to communicate or behave in a predictable manner in the pattern!

I have to fix my own bird so I go out of my way to be easy on it and that includes avoiding any airborne NASCAR stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top