Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/19/2016 3:44:19 PM EST

When you sink that kinda money into something I bet that stings.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:46:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:52:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 3:52:58 PM EST by StevesZZ5]
Just had a pretty bad mishap with one of mine two days ago after not being able to recover from a spin.

Looks bad, but it's about two hours of repair work. The thing has been repaired numerous other times already.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:53:24 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:01:04 PM EST
I love these videos...it reaffirms my avoidance of this hobby every time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:12:50 PM EST
I haven't even mustered the courage to fire up my little 180CFX or Trex 250SE.

The Nano CPX and CB100 (bottom two in the pic) are mostly cyanoacrylate by weight after all my crashes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:14:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 4:17:37 PM EST by StevesZZ5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By swingset:
I love these videos...it reaffirms my avoidance of this hobby every time.
View Quote

Foam makes it real easy nowadays. No need to sweat a huge crash, and days of performing stick repairs on a balsa airframe.

For me, crashing is kind of bittersweet. Pushing them to the limit and trying to get out of trouble makes for some good fun. Foamies are relatively inexpensive to buy and repair. Repairs on foam are pretty straightforward.

There's a group of three or four British guys that post on youtube all the time with their mishaps, and they take it pretty good with some funny tongue in cheek comments. Always crashing and laughing it off. If you sweat the hobby too much it isn't fun and as such, not worth it.

ETA: Here's one of their videos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:39:56 PM EST
The RC Corsair tip stalls and dies just like it's big brother. Another Ensign died.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:43:09 PM EST
If there had been actual pilots in my R/C planes over the years, my name would be listed in history with Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:37:27 PM EST
I've stuck a couple in the dirt. Nothing nearly as nice as some in the video, but it stings watching them go down.

Also sucks when you lose radio and it just keeps flying away. Luckily there was nothing but corn fields around where we flew. That was a hike on that one although the damage was relatively minor.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:54:48 PM EST
So, how much do the more expensive planes cost?

And can you insure them against inevitable fuckery?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:01:34 PM EST
One could easily spend north of $10k on a scale turbine aircraft. An engine alone would be $1-2k. My transmitters are a DX6i and DX9, together representing maybe $600 in transmitter cost, though those can be used for many aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:03:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By Azygos:
One could easily spend north of $10k on a scale turbine aircraft. An engine alone would be $1-2k. My transmitters are a DX6i and DX9, together representing maybe $600 in transmitter cost, though those can be used for many aircraft.
View Quote

Damn.

Are any of those crashes salvageable or is everything toast?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:08:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By Trapshooter12:
The RC Corsair tip stalls and dies just like it's big brother. Another Ensign died.
View Quote

Dont hate cause you cant fly a complex airframe
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:13:17 PM EST
Man, the NTSB is gonna have their hands full
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:19:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By GreenBastard:

Damn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Damn.

I have only been witness to one crash in which everything was destroyed. A buddy of mine crashed his r/c helicopter into a hard packed gravel road. It was spectacular.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:34:47 PM EST
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

I have only been witness to one crash in which everything was destroyed. A buddy of mine crashed his r/c helicopter into a hard packed gravel road. It was spectacular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By broken_reticle:

Damn.

I crashed a 1/8 scale C172 into an exhaust fan on my horse barn a couple of years ago. Pretty sure the results would have been similar if I dropped it in a wood chipper. But my "normal" crashes usually end up with something I can repair without much drama. My 9yo kids are into cheap RTF foam planes and those things seem nearly indestructible...so far.

I've stayed away from turbines simply because it's much more economical for me to use a shovel if I need a hole in the yard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:46:41 PM EST
When I was first learning to fly, my instructor tried to allay my fear of crashing by telling me that all pilots crash, and that it's just a matter of when. I've been flying about 18 years now, and he was correct, I don't know anyone who hasn't put one in.

I dicked-up and balanced a 10 pound P40 with the gear down, when I should have balanced it with the gear up (rotating retracts are cool), and that plane didn't last 3 minutes...about $700 damage. Just the engine alone was almost $400 and the exhaust ripped out a chunk of the cylinder head...drt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:06:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/19/2016 8:07:56 PM EST by Taildragger]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:20:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Taildragger:
Have I posted this one yet??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwF2xgu2BM8&index=1&list=FLf7O-e-EngHTu3NIYy-pzIQ

View Quote

That looks about right for 3D flyers and pilot stations.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:20:46 PM EST
Thats a lot of $$ down the shitter! Sad.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:33:59 PM EST
The Flite Test guys are always crashing.

It's fun to watch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:36:15 PM EST
Fast forward to about the 4 minute mark. There is crashing and crashing into trees at 200mph.

And the 2 minute mark. Expensive confetti.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:36:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By saigamanTX:
http://youtu.be/V57QLRTsRNs http://youtu.be/nM1jHlr3lVU

When you sink that kinda money into something I bet that stings.

View Quote

That first video is terrible. The guy who put it together had to slow-mo every crash (sometimes twice or more ) after showing it normal speed.
Top Top