Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/27/2016 1:36:54 PM EDT
The RCBS seems to be somewhat of a standard bearer, but Hornady's Lock-N-Load system seems like a neat touch. Hornady's new Iron Press looks like an interesting option, too.

Which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with Hornady, but I can say with confidence, RCBS's customer service is well over and above the standard you would expect. Had a progressive loader that snapped a plastic finger for the primer advance, and it was apparently an older revision they didn't make any more. They ended up sending the whole redesigned head for the press ram, no questions.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
In before pole I say Fosters CO-AX
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been assured it's Dillon or nuthin'

I'm cheap but leaning toward a progressive of theirs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had good luck with my L-N-L AP at first it was a bit fussy, but I've got it down to a art now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want precision go with RCBS.

Dillon for bulk ammo with limited accuracy
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been assured it's Dillon or nuthin'

I'm cheap but leaning toward a progressive of theirs.
View Quote

Oh, a Dillon 550 is going to happen. I've been planning to buy one for a long time, and a good friend of mine has one sitting in a box that I can put to work until I get my own.

I'm looking for a different tool for a different job. I want a good single stage so I can load cartridges like 6.5x55, 7.7x58, and .30-06 in smaller batches. There's no sense in setting up a progressive press to load a batch under 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've had good luck with my L-N-L AP at first it was a bit fussy, but I've got it down to a art now.
View Quote
Same here.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both a Rock Chucker and the  RCBS Summit..love the summit, was a have to have item for loading 300RUM with a forrester sleeved seating die do to it having an inch more clearance.....just so much easier to use with any caliber due to how open it is...not to mention, I don't know if any of them have better CS then RCBS...

chucker on the left, summit on the right.......

Here is the summit with a 300RUM loading 230 berger hybrid..notice the OA length....
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Lee Classic Cast is better than either one. The only other single stage I would choose is a Forster.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using a Rock chucker since 1991 and it's still going strong

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#11]
In addition to my Dillon RL500B I also use a RCBS Rock Chucker.

I use the RCBS mainly for loading my rifle accuracy loads - not that the Dillon can't do it but I use the Dillon more for high volume reloading.

I have a friend that uses the Lock-N-Load and while it seems to work fine I think the RCBS is a little more of a precision piece of equipment.

I don't think you could go wrong with either one but I've been using my RCBS for decades and it is still a solid press with no slop.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Lee, love the spent primer tube
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I got my rcbs rock chucker cheap, and bought the conversion bushings to allow it to use hornady l-n-l bushings. win / win.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lee, love the spent primer tube
View Quote
I have a Lee 50BMG press and that stupid spent primer tube won't stay attached unless I cinch it on with a tie wrap....

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been using the same RCBS RC for +/- 40 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would love to see you, or anybody, back up that statement. It is parroted so often that progressives make inaccurate ammo and it is simply untrue... heck, look at David Tubb, who loads his competition ammo on a 550.

You are going to have much more variation based on case prep, dies, components, and personal performance than you will between those presses. Are you trimming meplats and using dead length seating dies? Annealing every load? Trickling every charge? Sorting and segregating bullets? Checking concentricity? Reaming necks? Uniforming primer pockets? No? Then what makes you think your press is having such an impact?

(Protip: it isnt, and you would have a damn hard time proving whatever amount of runout you find on a high quality press is impacting accuracy)

I keep a rock chucker on my bench because it does things that progressives can't, not because they are inaccurate. If you believed the press was so important to accuracy, you would spring for a forster coax and not an rcbs anyway.

Get the inline fabrications mount and handle for whatever single stage you choose... and the die rack and case kicker.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I've owned a RCBS Rock Chuck single stage press for nearly 30 years. If I need accessories I try to buy from them first. Over the years I've had a couple of niggling issues but they've always made good with just a phone call and not charged me yet. As an example, I once broke a decapping pin in my .303 die (entirely my fault, as I failed to notice it was loose before ramming it home!). Not only did they replace it with no questions asked but they sent an entire 5-pack and didn't charge me a penny! That kind of service tends to bind my loyalties rather firmly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Rcbs because.....I like green.

Rock chucker is the only press I've used and it is extremely solid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#20]
The new rockchuckers are of not the same quality as the older ones. I don't know if it's because they are made in China now or what. I've had one I inheritied that's 30+ years old and picked up a new one. Not even in the same category. I dumped the new one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#21]
RCBS or get off the porch.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
What kind of volume can one do on a single stage vs a progressive? How long does it take to do a 100 rnds on a single stage?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The new rockchuckers are of not the same quality as the older ones. I don't know if it's because they are made in China now or what. I've had one I inheritied that's 30+ years old and picked up a new one. Not even in the same category. I dumped the new one.
View Quote

Details?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a Rockchucker with untold thousands of rounds loaded on it.  The primer catch system sucks but is greatly improved with a McDonald's straw in the ram to help direct primers into the catch tray.  I have added the LnL bushing system to it and shimmed it to match my LnL progressive as well as my Redding Big Boss 2

I got the Redding last year because of the way it handles spent primers.  I love not having to chase those damn things down.  It is also modded with the LnL bushings and I've mounted a bike water bottle and holder on my bench leg for spent primers to be dumped into via the hose.

I'm about to buy the Hornady single stage for my portable reloading rig for matches and camping trips.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The RCBS seems to be somewhat of a standard bearer, but Hornady's Lock-N-Load system seems like a neat touch. Hornady's new Iron Press looks like an interesting option, too.

View Quote

I Have a Rock Chucker with a L-N-L adapter in it..Best of Both worlds  
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have both I set-up both with LNL bushings. It makes no difference which you get.
My 22 year old RCBS is tighter than my 2 year old Hornady LNL Classic, but that makes no difference in the straightness of ammo they produce.

The quality of ammo produced has  almost nothing to do with the press itself. A Forster CO-AX press isn't going to make better ammo than a LEE Cast press, it's the other stuff that matters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Details?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details?

RCBS is extremely tight lipped about it, but rumors state that the castings come from China... however, they are definitely machined here. I remember there was a handloader magazine article that implied the Chinese connection.

I do think recent RCBS offerings are far inferior to their older ones. Their service is still as good as ever, though.

I don't really care that much about the buying homegrown vs foreign argument, but there is no doubt some suits at RCBS are making some boneheaded decisions. Look at their new massively overpriced progressive that costs $150 more on top of that to fit a drop tube for cases, not even a collator...

Or their god awful bullet collator.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I like RCBS. Good people. They are not far from me. Excellent CS. Great product.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. The LNL is not exclusive to hornady presses.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

RCBS is extremely tight lipped about it, but rumors state that the castings come from China... however, they are definitely machined here. I remember there was a handloader magazine article that implied the Chinese connection.

I do think recent RCBS offerings are far inferior to their older ones. Their service is still as good as ever, though.

I don't really care that much about the buying homegrown vs foreign argument, but there is no doubt some suits at RCBS are making some boneheaded decisions. Look at their new massively overpriced progressive that costs $150 more on top of that to fit a drop tube for cases, not even a collator...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details?

When did the change happen? My RC is about 12 years old, I think even 15.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I would love to see you, or anybody, back up that statement. It is parroted so often that progressives make inaccurate ammo and it is simply untrue... heck, look at David Tubb, who loads his competition ammo on a 550.

You are going to have much more variation based on case prep, dies, components, and personal performance than you will between those presses. Are you trimming meplats and using dead length seating dies? Annealing every load? Trickling every charge? Sorting and segregating bullets? Checking concentricity? Reaming necks? Uniforming primer pockets? No? Then what makes you think your press is having such an impact?

(Protip: it isnt, and you would have a damn hard time proving whatever amount of runout you find on a high quality press is impacting accuracy)

I keep a rock chucker on my bench because it does things that progressives can't, not because they are inaccurate. If you believed the press was so important to accuracy, you would spring for a forster coax and not an rcbs anyway.

Get the inline fabrications mount and handle for whatever single stage you choose... and the die rack and case kicker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since I shoot F-Class and our 10 Ring are 6" and our X 3" at 600 Yards we do all those things on a regular basis.

1/2" groups are not good enough to win tournaments any more.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#32]
What kind of volume can one do on a single stage vs a progressive? How long does it take to do a 100 rnds on a single stage?

With clean brass, I do 100 handgun rounds in about 1.5-2 hours.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Since I shoot F-Class and our 10 Ring are 6" and our X 3" at 600 Yards we do all those things on a regular basis.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/iggyort/20151004_131219_zpsuq6lol4t.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/iggyort/20160327_152024_zpspsfnjse3.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/iggyort/20150907_121858_zpshwsa543w.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/iggyort/20151004_131219_zpsuq6lol4t.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/iggyort/20160327_152024_zpspsfnjse3.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/iggyort/20150907_121858_zpshwsa543w.jpg

Then why aren't you using a Coax over the RCBS, the "known" gold standard of consistency? Even a floating toolhead setup on a dillon "should" be more consistent, as if that difference could be measured downrange.

Why not using an arbor press like benchresters with the old style neck size dies, even?

I will continue to combat your "if you want precision go RCBS" statement, and I have an RCBS press sitting on my bench right this second. The press just isn't that important of a factor.

In your case, I think you should probably invest in a better scale. I mean, if you're not using a magnetic force restoration scale over a strain gauge scale, how do you know how accurate you are?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dumb question, but what's the advantage of converting another brand's press to LNL vs just getting a Hornady press already set up that way?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been using my rock chucker for years and it is still a great press.  If I had to do it over or buy a new single stage press it would be a Forster Co-Ax, hands down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had both and used them heavily (200 rounds of precision .308win a week for a year or two). The hornady collets are nice and fast but I found over time they peen slightly (aluminum) and my dies that were set for a specific COAL or sizer dies, had moved a few thousandths. Not a huge deal with a seater, but when my brass was only being sized back about .002-.003 to avoid fatigue and it exhibited this behavior... I ran into a problem at a match.. Over half the 200 rounds I'd loaded would not chamber. The rest were EXTREMELY tight. I had been loading on that setup for almost a year at that point and hadn't had to touch the dies in maybe 1-2K rounds loaded.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Then why aren't you using a Coax over the RCBS, the "known" gold standard of consistency? Even a floating toolhead setup on a dillon "should" be more consistent, as if that difference could be measured downrange.

Why not using an arbor press like benchresters with the old style neck size dies, even?

I will continue to combat your "if you want precision go RCBS" statement, and I have an RCBS press sitting on my bench right this second. The press just isn't that important of a factor.

In your case, I think you should probably invest in a better scale. I mean, if you're not using a magnetic force restoration scale over a strain gauge scale, how do you know how accurate you are?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One word answer to your why: Cost

I have just ordered the Acculab VIC-123 Digital Scaleto re-check my loads

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#38]
pretty awesome pissing contest going on there fuckers. take it to a different forum, this clearly isnt the thread for your one-upmanship tangent.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
pretty awesome pissing contest going on there fuckers. take it to a different forum, this clearly isnt the thread for your one-upmanship tangent.
View Quote

OK . you win  and he wins too .After all, it it's Easter and all.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought one of these almost 30 years ago.  

It was only $20 more than the Rock Chucker but substantially bigger. I think I've loaded more than 150,000 rounds on it and it's just as solid as the day I bought it.

Hornady makes some damn good dies, and I suspect their presses are as strong as anyone's.  A reloading press is a tool that you use for hours on end.  I'd get whichever one has the features you like the best, because using a tool that you don't like for long periods of time just fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Dumb question, but what's the advantage of converting another brand's press to LNL vs just getting a Hornady press already set up that way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already had the rockchucker.  As i expanded my calibers that I was reloading. the more I looked into it, the more i liked the idea of setting it up once and just popping it in and out.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't mean to be rude , although I did and do take significant issue with the idea that progressives are inaccurate presses, for all the reasons I listed... if the press is any portion of the accuracy, it is so far down the line that it is near-trivial compared to other factors. To suggest a progressive is only good for inaccurate blasting ammo is objectively wrong.

Quoted:

How dare people discuss general matters in the general forum. The accuracy of a press is very relevant to the thread,removed...krp Someone looking into presses reasonably should know how theirs compares to others in all ways relevant... and as a result, there are lots of presses beyond the LNL and RC posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been using a Rock chucker since 1991 and it's still going strong

View Quote

Bought mine in 83 or 84.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Delete
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

Take a look at this video

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been using the same RCBS RC for +/- 40 years.
View Quote

Came here to echo the above comment. Have other presses as well, but the RC is a permanent part of my reloading set-up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a Rock Chucker and think it's a great press. It's on the floor somewhere in my shop because I bought a Redding Big Boss II last year. I put a hornady lock-n-load bushing, ergo roller handle and case kicker on the Big Boss and forgot all about my Rock Chucker. But, the RC is a great press.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top