Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/8/2004 3:35:51 AM EST
YOU WOULD THINK, WITH THE RAMPANT POPULARITY OF THE "DO NOT CALL LIST", THAT POLITICAL PARTIES WOULD TAKE THE FRICKIN' HINT THAT PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO BE BOTHERED WITH PHONE CALLS FROM PEOPLE THEY DON'T KNOW!!!!

TWICE last night. I called the local offices of both parties and didn't scream or use bad language, but I made it clear that THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO WIN VOTERS!!!! I also demanded that I be removed from their call lists, and that my request be propagated (since the poor slob actually answering the phone probably doesn't have any idea how to stop the calls).

The worst is that the scripts are crafted to keep you on just a bit longer.

"Hello."
"Hi, this is Sandy."
"Uh, Sandy wh..."
"Did you know that Allyson Schwartz is <click> <SLAM!>"
"RRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!"

THIS IS NOT THE WAY TO WIN VOTERS!! THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE ON COMMITTEES, TAKE NOTE!!!

RRRRRR.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:25:08 AM EST
I let my kids answer the phone, they tell them mom is busy... don't call back.. then I don't have to deal with them and they don't call back.
BTW I am on the "Do Not Call List" also... works 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:28:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 4:28:56 AM EST by Brisk322]

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:
I let my kids answer the phone, they tell them mom is busy... don't call back.. then I don't have to deal with them and they don't call back.

More not-so-subtle encouragement to have kids, I see. eta:

The unfortunate thing is that the "Do Not Call List" doesn't apply to charities (they're allowed to call) or politicians. And you KNOW the politicians won't change the law to restrict themselves.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:50:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 4:50:44 AM EST by photokirk]

Originally Posted By Brisk322:

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

More not-so-subtle encouragement to have kids, I see. eta:

The unfortunate thing is that the "Do Not Call List" doesn't apply to charities (they're allowed to call) or politicians. And you KNOW the politicians won't change the law to restrict themselves.

I have had it with the fucking charities calling me for money. My mom passed away in January. Less than a week after she died, I got the rudest phone call of my life from a charity.

It was a call from one of the groups that claims to help the families of police and DPS officers. The telemarketer asked for me by name and acted like he knew me. At first I figured it was a family friend. Then he went in to his pitch.

TM: We're calling for donations for the (whatever group) and a donation of $50 would really help. I've got a form all ready to go for you and...

Me: I can't help right now. I just lost my mom and my family needs me right now. I have to keep the line clear right now. Bye.

TM: I'm really sorry to hear that, but these folks could really use your donation. If you could just...

Me: (red curtain of rage has arrived) DID YOU LISTEN TO WHAT I SAID, YOU FUCKING CUMDUMPSTER??!?!? WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU? GET OFF MY FUCKING PHONE OR I WILL FIND YOU, GOUGE YOUR EYES OUT AND FUCK YOUR SKULL!

TM: *silence* click

One of them called the other night (American Blind something???) and asked for me by name.

TM: Hey Kirk?

Me: Yeah..?

TM: I talked to you last week...

Me: No you didn't.

TM: and we really need you help this year by ordering a 3-month supply of trash bags...

Me: When did you talk to me?

TM: Uh, last week.

Me: During the day?

TM: Yeah.

Me: I work during the day. Don't lie to me. Bye. *click*
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:40:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 6:35:57 AM EST by warlord]
Calling is behalf of a political party is part of the political process of motivating the sheeple to participate in the government. Most of this "get out the vote" suiff has been stopped because it is just too expensive to do, because it is 100% labor. I made calls on behalf of the Republican party, and some people tell me "that they haven't been called to vote on a political candidate or issue in years."
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:42:16 AM EST
you guys are working to hard.
i pick up the phone say hello

if i don't want to talk to you i hang up the phone.
simple as that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:48:07 AM EST
I went online and e-mailed the campaign director. Unbeliveably they e-mailed me back, apologized,and took me off their list. This was for SC governor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:48:31 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 5:48:55 AM EST by Brisk322]

Originally Posted By hk940:
you guys are working to hard.
i pick up the phone say hello

if i don't want to talk to you i hang up the phone.
simple as that.

For one, I was in another room, doing something else - which means I must drop what I'm doing and hurry to pick up the phone before the machine answers - and having the formerly reasonable expectation that if someone calls me, that I might actually WANT to talk to them.

It's the interruption that bothers me most.

ETA: I will try Rock71's idea. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:58:06 AM EST
I have an answering machine to take care of the politicio's and a TeleZapper to take care of the rest!

The kids are getting good at taking care of unwanted callers also!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:04:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:
I have an answering machine to take care of the politicio's and a TeleZapper to take care of the rest!

The kids are getting good at taking care of unwanted callers also!

BigDozer66

More encouragement to have kids. You're all in this, aren't you?

Where's my tinfoil?

Please remove my phone number from your calling list. I'm SICK AND TIRED of political telemarketing, and I would think that the popularity of the "Do Not Call List" would have been a hint.

Political telemarketing IS NOT a good way to win votes, ESPECIALLY with prerecorded scripts which start out deceiving me into thinking that I'm talking to a person.

[To the PA Republicans]This is a REALLY good way to persuade me to change my registration AND to vote for third-party candidates.

[To the PA Democrats]I'm a registered Republican, and this is NOT a good way to persuade me to vote for Democratic candidates.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:29:19 AM EST
Just talk to them. The last political call it got and didn't like, I just talked. First, I asked who I was talking to, including last name. Then I asked for their home phone and address. At that point they started to slow down in their talking and then asked why. I told them if they have my name, home phone and address, I should have their's. The calls stopped.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:31:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By last_mile2002:
Just talk to them. The last political call it got and didn't like, I just talked. First, I asked who I was talking to, including last name. Then I asked for their home phone and address. At that point they started to slow down in their talking and then asked why. I told them if they have my name, home phone and address, I should have their's. The calls stopped.

I couldn't do that with the last two because they were prerecorded messages, and I wasn't about to listen to the whole message in hopes of hearing "If you do not wish to receive these calls...".
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:39:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:53:39 AM EST
want to get them to hang up fast?
try this
when they say hi just start saying their dead their all dead oh god their is blood everywhere.
I killed them oh god i cant believe killed them.
lol see what they say
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:11:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By Rand:
want to get them to hang up fast?
try this
when they say hi just start saying their dead their all dead oh god their is blood everywhere.
I killed them oh god i cant believe killed them.
lol see what they say

Originally Posted By Brisk322:
I couldn't do that with the last two because they were prerecorded messages, and I wasn't about to listen to the whole message in hopes of hearing "If you do not wish to receive these calls...".

I'm Brisk322, and I approved this message. Twice.
Top Top