Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2011 2:44:41 PM EDT
I usually have a 40oz of brew or a pint of whiskey in the morning after work, and hit it even harder on my days off. I was starting to scare myself, so I quit drinking this week. Don't feel any differant, except everytime I eat I get bubble guts. Probably going to trip up tomorrow and buy something for my birthday. Would like to keep the trend going as I am saving lots of money by not drinking.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#1]
If you've been drinking a pint of whiskey every day after work, and more on the off days, it just might take more than a week to get over it.

Damn, man.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You drink a Foo-tah every day?

OE or Mickeys?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I usually have a 40oz of brew or a pint of whiskey in the morning after work, and hit it even harder on my days off. I was starting to scare myself, so I quit drinking this week. Don't feel any differant, except everytime I eat I get bubble guts. Probably going to trip up tomorrow and buy something for my birthday. Would like to keep the trend going as I am saving lots of money by not drinking.

You will love yourself for it eventually.  Give it a chance.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:48:30 PM EDT
[#4]
40 oz of beer isn't really that bad, but 16 oz of whiskey? Damn dude.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
A pint a day was standard back in the 40's, 50's.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#6]
give your pancreas a little more time to recover!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]

With that amount of booze daily your liver hasn't even sobered up yet.  Give it time.  

And look at it this way, you already got past the hard part.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
OP;  When I was in college I got in the habit of drinking heavy about 3 or 4 days a week.  When I stopped, at about the 2 week mark is when I started to physically feel better.

Now I drink maybe once a month.  I haven't been "drunk" in 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I quit 2 years ago and don't miss it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:24:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, ya sure as hell can't spell any better.

Edit check article out

5 things no one tells you about quitting drinking

One year ago, I was hospitalized. I won't bore you with the details, so let's just say I was struck down with a case of having an enormous penis. Several vials of blood were taken for various tests, all of them coming back positive for a magnificent, awe-inspiring dong, which I was already fully aware of. What I didn't expect, however, was the doctor's first question when explaining my results.

"So ... how much do you drink per day?"

I started to answer, but he threw up a hand to stop me and continued, "If you don't stop drinking right now, you'll be dead before you're 40. You're 35, and your liver is already showing signs of shutting down. Then again, the faster all the drunks die off, the more space we free up in this hospital for people with actual medical problems that are beyond their own control." Then he punched me in the face and hobbled out of the room on his cane.

So I quit, cold turkey, after 22 years of what could only be called the my penis of alcohol addictions. That was a little over a year ago, and during that time I've discovered some things about quitting booze that they manage to leave out of inspirational movie montages.

#5.The Stench

For the first couple of days, stretching into the first couple of weeks, you sweat your ass off. Even on cold days, you can't keep a shirt dry with all the king's deodorant and all the king's men ... putting that deodorant on for you. (I'm not good with metaphors.)

Did somebody order some stink? I brought extra sauce!

As your body works overtime to rid itself of toxins, leftover alcohol and its byproducts that are stored in your lymph nodes will begin to seep out through not only your urine, but also your breath and the pores of your skin.

This isn't normal stink. If it was just persistent body odor, you could do something about it. No, this is stink on a demonic level. This is Stinkotronicus: Master of Stinkalarium, and it will make you do its bidding, lest it destroy you and all of those you hold dear. Showers do help, but their effect is very temporary and only seems to provoke it.

You'd be surprised how little this helps.

How bad is it? Another Cracked writer on the wagon (who posts as Yowhound) was actually kicked off of a public bus because of this ... in Europe. They've tolerated the French for thousands of years, but they couldn't handle one bus ride with a recovering alcoholic.

#4.The Nightmares

The stench isn't the end of the world (even if it smells exactly like how you imagine the apocalypse smelling). No, it's the insomnia that's the first major ass-kicker.

For many hardcore drinkers, "going to sleep" and "passing out" mean roughly the same thing. I personally never got black-out drunk, but I always went to bed with a good, deep buzz. I did it so often that my brain got used to the booze as a sleep aid. So much so that when I finally quit and the toxins began to disappear from my body, my brain became more active at bedtime and simply refused to shut down for the night (once more, this is common among detoxing alcoholics). But then, once you finally drift off, is when the fun starts.

The fun, and the mind-bending hallucinations.

That's when you get some of the most frequent and realistic nightmares you've ever experienced. Intense feelings of dread and anxiety thump through your sleeping mind, as if the stench demon decided to drift into your cerebral cortex.

Remember that your brain is not only more active but also in panic mode. It has become so used to having alcohol that it started thinking it was one of your normal bodily fluids. Imagine if you suddenly gave up food, taking all of your nutrients via an IV instead. Even if you were getting everything you needed, for a while your empty stomach would still send out the pain alarm that says, "INSERT FOOD OR YOU WILL DIE, DUMBASS!" The inside of a detoxing alcoholic's head is freaking out in the same manner.

One of the most common nightmares among alcoholics is the terrible recurring dream where you fall off the wagon. You fight all day to stay sober, then in your sleep you relapse. So in the dream you now have to explain to the people around you that you slipped. Not only do you feel all of the guilt and shame and frustration while you're dreaming, the feelings stick with you long after you wake up.

Like all the symptoms, it passes. What does not pass so easily is ...

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18824_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-quitting-drinking.html#ixzz1Cf8i9fux

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quit in 1998.
Don't miss it a bit.

Don't jump out of the wagon so soon, dude.

Your guts are fucked up because you aren't taking in 56 ounces of crap every day.  Give yourself a break.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as you ain't shaking when you ain't drinking, you ain't doing too bad.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I really enjoy my bourbon, but more power to you for not partaking.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Ya know people without a drinking problem don't often wonder if they have a drinking problem.

Just sayin...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Put the $ that you would have spent on booze in a jar everyday, and you will feel different when you have enough coin to buy an OBR -
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I quit 2 years ago and don't miss it.

lol..... that's what i came in to say!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been thinking about quitting also , I drink a half gallon a week.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive been slowing up too.

Average about a 30 pack a week.
Gets worse in the summer time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I drink more in the cold months. Not much to do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quit in 1998.
Don't miss it a bit.

Your guts are fucked up because you aren't taking in 56 ounces of crap every day.  Give yourself a break.

Same here.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Derp Derp

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#25]
a pint of whiskey a day?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quit in 1998.
Don't miss it a bit.

Holy shit! A quadruple tap! I better quit drinking. Oh wait.........

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#27]
i quit in 06

lost 40 lbs since then

you will live longer
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#28]
keep it going bro.  I'm coming up on a year and it's cool as hell.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quit in 1998.

Don't miss it a bit.

Holy shit! A quadruple tap! I better quit drinking. Oh wait.........

damn! a quadtap!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm really getting to the point where I need to as well.  I drink between 8-11 beers a night, every night, 7 days a week.  $60/week in beer.  God that's depressing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wow. Dude. At my worst, when going through the last couple years of a horrible marriage, I drank a half gallon every two weeks, and looking back that was bad. I cant imagine if you are doing twice that when you are ever sober.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Im coming on a week of not drinking also.

I went and got a physical, my fucking liver is causing the blood labs to come back fucked up and Doctors are calling me in a rather excited tone.

23 years old, time to call it quits.  Never knew how strong I lusted for booze till I had to walk away from it.  Its literally a lifestyle change and its hard for me to sit here and think of enjoying things without booze.  Its fucking sad on my part.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Haven't drank in 4 years.......don't "treat" yourself on your b-day, you'll regret it!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a bunch of alcoholics in the family tree.  They are all dead now.  

A few nights of overdoing it was enough to get me to "quit."  I may have a single drink every quarter or so.  Some years, I may not have that many.  

I don't go to places where people drink heavily.  It is pretty easy to do.  

You won't miss it once you change a few habits.  

One week isn't a detox though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I quit almost six years ago.  I feel quite different.  

+1 give it up. Live longer
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#36]
One of my employee's brother just passed away. 48 years old.  Drank hard 5 days a week.  His liver shut down to about 20% functional and he slowly died for a year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
a pint of whiskey a day?

I'm a lightweight compared to some co-workers. Dirty Santa at our work X-Mas party is pretty much just an exchange of differant whiskeys in a gift set.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow. Dude. At my worst, when going through the last couple years of a horrible marriage, I drank a half gallon every two weeks, and looking back that was bad. I cant imagine if you are doing twice that when you are ever sober.

Some people have a natural tolerance. I go through a bottle of wine every night. A cup or two of whiskey isnt out of the question. But i have no kids and have no other vices. I dont feel like a drunk. In bed by 10, up by 6. I dont feel like its hurting me at all. Different strokes and all that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I quit on a whim about 9 months ago.

Kinda funny, but I don't know if I'll start again.
I kinda like not being drunk, especially too drunk.

Bill
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#40]
keep it up. i was never a big drinker but i quit after last new year. 1 year without booze and about 7 months now without soda. my 3 year old always wanted my soda when i always had a can in my hand. i just stopped.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Please keep it up, OP.  My brother died in late August last year due to advanced cirrhosis and complications from alcoholism.  He was 40.  Left behind a 19 year old daughter, 13 year old son and 6 year old daughter.  Both of my parents are still grieving hard.  No one should have to bury a child, even a grown one.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Give it time man, I drank 18-24 beers a night minimum for 10-12 years, closer to 12 I think. Took me a few months before I really started feeling better but it will come man, then maybe once a year you go have a few for your birthday etc and the next day you will wonder how the fuck you ever lived like that.

The amount of money saved in itself (I didn't drink at home often, went to the bar 5 or more nights a week) has bought me more shit than I can even imagine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I quit a little over four months ago. It's nice, it's real nice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Wait till month 6.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck, I need to quit too. I'm at about a 1.5 liter bottle of Australian Chardonnay every night mixed in with some beers. The weekend is the worst. All my buddies drink constantly. Like morning to morning on the weekends and I'm usually participating in it. Beer, vodka, whiskey, rum, wine, etc. I'm 25 and the hangovers are starting to be the death of me. They aren't like when I was 19 and in college. The only time I can restrain myself from drinking on a weekend evening is if I'm going shooting the next day. Shooting with a hangover is just horrible. My fiancé doesn't drink and has been trying to get me to cut back. Fuck this shit, I'm done with drinking...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I went past 10 days tonight with no beer and will shoot for the Super Bowl next Sunday.  I've almost always had a beer, either a single, or multiples, but thought that I'd give it a go and see.

I thought about getting a few tonight, but not that hard.  

Good news is, is I've had no shakes/DTs, so yippee for me.

Sometimes a break is good and knowing you can not drink for X, Y or Z days, is worth it, even if you don't quit outright.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Take from the famous baseball player Mickey Mantle, don't screw up your liver, you will probably not get another one. That lucky SOB got 2 livers, and precedent to throw that away too, by falling back on drinking. He died from liver failure of his 2nd liver. Some people just don't learn.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people have a natural tolerance. I go through a bottle of wine every night. A cup or two of whiskey isnt out of the question. But i have no kids and have no other vices. I dont feel like a drunk. In bed by 10, up by 6. I dont feel like its hurting me at all. Different strokes and all that.

I never drink before 4pm and I only have 2 drinks a night , they just happen to be very large !
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:02:51 PM EDT
[#49]
I quit when Obama got elected, there is no way I want to be anything less then stone cold sober with that ass hole in office
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Well that's a sign to never ever quit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top