Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2002 6:08:47 PM EDT
WTF. Quit smoking to get healthier then put on weight. Thinking about starting again just to lose weight. Six one about 205. More than I like to weigh. Well, at least I'm not bald.

Ever get the feeling that no matter what ya do ya can't win?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Exercise.

You can breath now.

Aerobic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I am 6'2 and I wish I could get down to 205.  Right now I am hovering at 235.  
I quit about 2 yrs ago, and gained about 50 lbs!!  

Just think, more for the ladies to love. [sex]

Trust me, you are better off, more $$$ to spend on guns! [BD]

Just start working out.
c-rock
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you could invest some of that cash you used to spend on smoking on some exercise equipment.  (If there's any leftover after ammo and guns.)
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried "CRACK"?[whacko]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Go here: [url]http://www.richardsimmons.com/index.html[/url]
[;)]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Protien Power

Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I would blame it on the Fat Gene and join a fat acceptance group. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]
 Same here, and 15 years later, still there.  I am healthier and my BP is lower even with the weight.  I seriously need to lose 20 pounds and havent the motivation to do it.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup same thing smoked in HS, through the Army and almost 10 years after finally quit last year and gained a few (quite a few)lbs from what I hear thats pretty normal. I can breathe better now and aam starting to excercise agian perhaps those of us interested could weigh in and compare notes and provide support/motivation for each other to help get the weight off we want to loose ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#10]
When I quit almost five years ago I gained 30 lbs.  I was already overweight to begin with, so the extra weight was not easy to take.  I got ahold of "Mastering the Zone" by Barry Sears (recommended by my Doc) and lost 70 lbs.  I can't tell you how much better I feel now.  My cholesterol went from 256 to 140, even eating ice cream on a semi-regular basis.  I still follow the basic guidelines just because I feel better when I eat right.  If it wasn't for ice cream and carrot cake, I'd never have anything to worry about!
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WTF. Quit smoking to get healthier then put on weight. Thinking about starting again just to lose weight. Six one about 205. More than I like to weigh. Well, at least I'm not bald.

Ever get the feeling that no matter what ya do ya can't win?
View Quote
Quit several years ago after smoking for 34 years. It took several tries but I did it. Best thing I ever did for myself.( Other than gettin divorced for the 2nd time![:D]) I just wish I had the money I burned in 34 years to spend on guns today! I'm 5'11" and balooned from 190 to 220. Stuff just tastes real good now! I'm just now getting back down to close to 200 which is still heavy for my height. Dr. doesn't seem to concerned though he was just happy I quit and I am too. Hell, I'm even BALD![;D]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I had an excuse for being fat [:)] 6'2" 235lbs.  I need to start working out before I end up with dickydoo disease ( Belly sticks out more than your dicky do.)
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Go here: [url]http://www.richardsimmons.com/index.html[/url]
[;)]
View Quote

Eeeeewww! [:X*]  

But seriously, weight gain after smoking cessation is NOT solely due to lack of nicotine, but is mostly a manifestation of the same hand-to-mouth disease that caused you to smoke in the first place, rainman. Instead of keeping your hands and mouth busy with cigs, now I'll bet it's donuts and twinkies. Don't feel bad- that was me too at one point. In my 20's when I smoked (as a student in Germany, like everybody else there, it was hand-rolled cigarettes w/nooooo filter *hack, hack*) I was 5'10", 160 lbs. I didn't eat all that much, as I recall. I quit smoking when I was 31. I then gained lotsa weight, but mostly due to increased food intake and total lack of exercise. Last year, at 44, I weighed 250!! Oy! So I joined Weight Watchers and lost 50+ lbs, and exercise regularly.

Bottom line: it's not all that hard to get healthy again. You just have to want to do it on a steady basis. Stay away from fad diets and diet pills- they are BS and harmful. Think healthy, and the rest follows.

Yes, you can win, but you have to be realistic and relentless. Don't give up, and don't give in!
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Exercise.

You can breath now.

Aerobic.
View Quote

That is a good suggestion.

I too quit smoking long time ago...gained weight...exercised....played sport....and now I am in good health.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top