Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 5:22:37 PM EDT
To make a very long story short, I have a friend who lives in Ohio, he's going through an ugly divorce and I think he's feeling a little unstable at times. He's offered to ship me his handgun just to get it out of his possesion for a while. I live in Illinois and was wondering what the best way to ship it to me is. I thought I was reading that fed ex won't take them but will UPS? What about not saying what is in the box that he's shipping?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Bill,

FedEx and UPS will both ship them, but not from the local stores...has to be a hub, and has to go Overnight.

HH
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,
I'm searching the fed ex locations now!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Watch out! Such a transfer would be a violation of Federal law without the handgun going through a dealer on your end.  I know you would like to help out your friend, but it might be better if he found someone at his location to hold the gun or to sell it outright..
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Watch out! Such a transfer would be a violation of Federal law without the handgun going through a dealer on your end.  I know you would like to help out your friend, but it might be better if he found someone at his location to hold the gun or to sell it outright..

Does it depend on whether a transfer of ownership is taking place?  

I agree with you, that an FFL transfer is required if BillLumberg is being given the guns, so that they won't be covered in the divorce (or some clever thing like that), even if he intends to give them back someday.

But if his buddy is just storing the guns at his house, or is planning to perhaps move out there, can his friend not ship them to himself, c/o BillLumberg - with the understanding that they would still be his property, and covered by any division of assets in the divorce.  (I'm sorta thinking of the fact that you can ship guns to yourself, at an out-of-state address, if you are going there - say for a hunting vacation or something like that).

So perhaps the answer in part may depend on whether or not his buddy wants to jsut remove the guns from his house, or whether he wants someone else (out of state) to own them - either temporarily or permanently.  In the latter case, an FFL transfer is definitely required.

Not saying I know the answer - jsut wondering if there is a requirement for a transfer of ownership (either official or implied) before the FFL is necessary.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
BATF doesn't care about ownership.  They care about possession.  A transfer to an individual in Illinois from an individual in Ohio requires an FFL on the receiving end even if ownership remains with the individual in Ohio.  

Think of sending a firearm out of state for repair.  It needs to go to an FFL holder even though ownership does not change.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
BATF doesn't care about ownership.  They care about possession.  A transfer to an individual in Illinois from an individual in Ohio requires an FFL on the receiving end even if ownership remains with the individual in Ohio.  

Think of sending a firearm out of state for repair.  It needs to go to an FFL holder even though ownership does not change.

Right - that makes sense, and you are correct.  So the exception is only for something very specific, like a hunting trip, or moving or something like that.  

As soon as it is substantially in someone elses possesion and control, it requires the FFL.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, I thought that would be understood.  You HAVE to send it to an FFL WITH a photocopy of your license...at least the ones I use require pic ID's from the sender.

HH
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Why can't he just send parts of the handgun?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
safety deposit box at a local bank,

if necessary, mail the key to the friend
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:46:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why can't he just send parts of the handgun?

That could be a solution.  Keep the frame and ship the other parts.  That way, he does not have a functional handgun around, which is what he wants.  If it's a revolver, he could remove the cylinder and send it.

Quoted:

Another good solution for this situation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Riiiiiiiight, I tried that once!
Me: "Mr. banker, I'd like to rent a safe box for a half a day, how much
Banker: uh well we do it by the month.
Me: I only need 4 hours
Banker: May I ask why?
Me: Sure, I drive a truck, and I have to pick up / deliver to the AF Base,  I have 3 pistols and an rilfe (ar) i'd like to store as they (AFB) will not let me aboard with firearms. Therefore I need a storage for a few hours.

Banker: NO! Do you have any forearms on you? SECURITY!!!!! HELP HELP HELP!!!
     ( well, all but HELP HELP HELP)

NOT a good idea to put firearms in a bank

BTW I did not pack going into the bank
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top