Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 2:15:49 AM EDT
In the U.S open carrying of handguns and rifles is illegal, correct?

If not, please tell me what states permit open carry. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
AZ handguns can be opened carry. In a holster of course, you can't go brandishing it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:19:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Open carry is controlled at the state and/or local level. There are states that allow open carry. AZ allows open carry. PA did at one time. I don't know if that is still true.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:26:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
AZ handguns can be opened carry. In a holster of course, you can't go brandishing it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a holster isn't necessary if it is just tucked into the waistband but still visible, right?  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a holster isn't necessary if it is just tucked into the waistband but still visible, right?  

I think the holster itself has to be visible. I wouldn't be surprised that covering any part of the firearm with something not firearm related being construed as concealed.

ETA: I personally would never attempt to skirt that law like that. Carry open outside clothing or get a CCW.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
PA is still legal but you'll probably get a lot of unwanted attention.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Open-carry rifles is definitely illegal, correct? [/stupid question, but i need to be sure]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:11:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Open-carry rifles is definitely illegal, correct? [/stupid question, but i need to be sure]

In many/most cases, no, not at all.  However, once again, the "unwanted attention" aspect comes to mind.  In many cases, the open carry of rifles is actually never addressed, specifically, in the legal code.  This harkens to the not-so-long-ago days of frequent hunting, etc.  It wasn't long ago, at all, that guns were carried by youngsters on the school bus for after school squirrel hunts, etc.  It's handguns that have historically garnered most of the legislation regarding carry and transport.  Rifles, not so much.  YIMMV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Open carry of long arms (rifles and shotguns) isn't illegal in Texas.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't see anything in the United States Code that prevents it.

So if it is illegal, it would be because of your state laws.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top