Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:12:27 PM EDT
I'm trying to puzzle my way through elementary music theory, and I was curious if it is "acceptable" to use a chord progressions with chords completly outside the key of the song. As an example, take Emajor- Gmajor- Dmajor. It sounds alright to my untrained ears, but none of those chords fall in the key of Emajor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#2]
i predect a correct response within the next 87 posts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
It really depends. My rule with music, when all else fails, claim artistic license.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what you call acceptable.  The Beatles made a career out of stepping just outside of the lines.  If you're truly in E major then you're only "legal" major chords would be E, A, and B, but F# major wouldn't be far out of line if you went from F# to B then E to resolve the end of a phrase.  You may have slipped into a mode that makes these chords sound friendly to your ear, but to answer your question...no, it wouldn't fly from a theory point of view.  YMMV

Legal chords in E major:

E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m.D#dim, E
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
If it sounds good, it is good. IMO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Change the E major to minor and you are in G

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Depends on what you call acceptable.  The Beatles made a career out of stepping just outside of the lines.  If you're truly in E major then you're only "legal" major chords would be E, A, and B, but F# major wouldn't be far out of line if you went from F# to B then E to resolve the end of a phrase.  You may have slipped into a mode that makes these chords sound friendly to your ear, but to answer your question...no, it wouldn't fly from a theory point of view.  YMMV

Legal chords in E major:

E, F#m, G#m, A, B, C#m.D#dim, E

Yes, what he said is correct!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It really depends. My rule with music, when all else fails, claim artistic license.

Absolutely correct... if it sounds right, it is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You might not actually be in E Major.  You might be in some other mode of another scale....

Or it's an 'accidental'.. or whatver it's called when you use a chord outside of the key you're in...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If it sounds good, it is good. IMO

That's all you really need to know.

I've heard so much crappy music put out by technical musicians that I'll take good music by an untrained musician any day over them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
There are no rules to notes/chords/progressions. There are only traditional pairings.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top