Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2006 8:02:53 AM EDT
I might have a chance to pick up one of those springfield armory mil-spec 1911-a1 today. what is the general consensus on them?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I love mine ! Several hundred rouonds through it with nary a problem.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#2]
They make a very good base gun.  I would replace the extractor with a Wilson bullet-proof just to be safe, as SA extractors seem to have a fairly high failure rate.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one - it's a very reliable 1911 (from Brazil).
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Same here, except I've put thousands of rounds through mine.     I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here, except I've put thousands of rounds through mine.     I like it a lot.

I'm working on it ! My .45 dies should be here from Dillion any day so I can get reloading all the .45 brass I have. I have a couple other .45s and have been saving brass for a couple years so I've got plenty of work to do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has gone through tens of thousands of rounds with zero failures.  If I had to choose just one firearm to be my sole defensive weapon, it would be that.

It was a little tight when it was brand new, but wore in nicely.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I might have a chance to pick up one of those springfield armory mil-spec 1911-a1 today. what is the general consensus on them?
Thanks

I love them.  I have the GI model and my brother has the milspec... great guns.

I like them they way they are, but they are good base guns for a custom job if you are into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!  I've had mine for many years now - I love it.

When I first got it I experienced several FTF malfunctions so I had the barrel throated, after that it has performed flawlessly for the last several thousand rounds.

The only malfunctions I have now are do to improperly reloaded cartridges - my fault....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Get it!  You will love it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Made in Brazil  

Get a Colt
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone tried the new Taurus 1911?  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Made in Brazil  

Get a Colt

come on and drink the kool aid! Its rather tasty..

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

I like them they way they are, but they are good base guns for a custom job if you are into that sort of thing.

hmmm what's the difference between the GI model and the Milspec? come to think of it, I'm not sure which it is....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine has been great. Nice base gun for the money. You can go as far as you want with it. Go for it.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

hmmm what's the difference between the GI model and the Milspec? come to think of it, I'm not sure which it is....

The mil spec model  has   raised three dot sights and lowered ejection port.    The  GI model has the  govt issue type sights and  a standard ejection port
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:26:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

From what I understand it is made by Imbel, the same company that makes the FAL clones.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I understand it is made by Imbel, the same company that makes the FAL clones.

Yup. The frames are forged by Imbel, but almost all of the machining (slide rails, pin holes) are done in the US. If any machining is done in Brazil, the guys will have "FI Brazil" somewhere on the frame, perhaps under the grip panels. The sole exception are the SA Custom Shop guns, IIRC, which are all made in the US.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
My mil-spec has an NM serial # , ipc. bbl. and is a very good shooter, it is made in the USA. my loaded lt. wt. has 2pc. bbl and is made in Brazil, also a good pistol, but not as tight as the mil-spec.
The N.M. frame guns are all machined in the US, and have a SS bbl and bushing.Look for one if you are buying.....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Polish the breach face and feed ramp just in case.  I had a few problems with one of mine and that fixed it.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Bought one used, for $375 OTD, Runs flawlessly, I replaced the extractor with a Wilson, and replaced the slide stop and firing pin and stop, and bbl bushing with Brown parts..(trying to cut down on the MIM parts)The parts I replaced were replaced because I feel these parts are higher quality than stock, Still runs flawlessly, no failures to feed, fire, eject. pistol now has about 800 rounds on it since I've owned it, shoots to POA what more can you ask for? this is a NM prefixed pistol with a stainless bbl, Trigger pull is'nt bad either. The only piece of advice I can give you is BUY IT! if it has the plastic grips on it, trash them as they will sooner or later crack, The best thing to do with them is to replace them right off the bat. It only took a couple hundred rounds of shooting to get one of the grips to crack...They are junk. But, that's easily, fixed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Good base gun for a custom job... Sights suck, trigger sucks, trigger fit sucks, extractor is a POS, I've seen just awful barrel lug fits. You get what you pay for.

Oh yea, the roll marks suck.
No firing pin safety +100 !

ETA: I use Colt Series-70, love the roll marks, barrel lug fit is good. Sights suck, trigger sucks, trigger fit sucks. Colt uses really good sears though.
Oh yea, the extractor sucks and the firing pin stop fit is for shit.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Good base gun for a custom job... Sights suck, trigger sucks, trigger fit sucks, extractor is a POS, I've seen just awful barrel lug fits. You get what you pay for.

Oh yea, the roll marks suck.
No firing pin safety +100 !

ETA: I use Colt Series-70, love the roll marks, barrel lug fit is good. Sights suck, trigger sucks, trigger fit sucks. Colt uses really good sears though.
Oh yea, the extractor sucks and the firing pin stop fit is for shit.

my 70 series trigger is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#24]
I had a SA Mil-spec and it was completely reliable.

However, I really HATED shooting it.

I have large hands and the standard profile grip safety would dig into the web of my hand with every shot. I sold it and bought a Kimber Custom II with a nice beavertail grip safety. It's night and day how much of a difference that makes.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Imbel I mean SA makes nice 1911's
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

Brother checking in.  One of my favorite handguns.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought a new NM serialed SA MilSpec for $399 in 2002. It has NO mention of Brazil anywhere on it - and I've detail stripped it a time or two.

I estimate about 3000 rounds through it with no problems at all.  It shoots a few inches low - apparently they all do. I just use a 12 o'clock hold @ 25 yards.

They carry a lifetime warranty - SA would put a new front sight on it for free - I just haven't got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a new NM serialed SA MilSpec for $399 in 2002. It has NO mention of Brazil anywhere on it - and I've detail stripped it a time or two.

I estimate about 3000 rounds through it with no problems at all.  It shoots a few inches low - apparently they all do. I just use a 12 o'clock hold @ 25 yards.

They carry a lifetime warranty - SA would put a new front sight on it for free - I just haven't got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Imbel = Brazil
I had an American made SA 1911, it was a piece of shit.
Even SA could not fix it.
I sold it for junk.

This 1911-A1 is perfect.
Feeds everything I put in it, goes bang when I pull the trigger.
This last weekend it was firing in the rain with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#31]
They are fine right up until you pick up a REAL USGI one, then, well...........pah. Dump the MIM extractor, and the slide stop and shoot it. They are OK but full of MIM. Not all that impressed with mine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They are fine right up until you pick up a REAL USGI one, then, well...........pah. Dump the MIM extractor, and the slide stop and shoot it. They are OK but full of MIM. Not all that impressed with mine.

And where do you buy a "real" USGI one for under $400?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:10:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Play with it for awhile then send it to Yost-Bonitz for one of their 1* treatments. Beat deal there is for a reasonable customized piece. Feel free to IM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And where do you buy a "real" USGI one for under $400?

I've picked up a few for that amount, to include two matching SN#frame and slide 1941 Colts. One is sadly lacking in finish but it still shoots quite a lot better then people were led to believe that they were  capable of. I might have better things to say if the several I owned [bought from new, I might add] were reliable, but every one I owned was nowhere close to what I would call reliable. I do not like the corners they cut to include 2 piece BBLs, they work OK but I doubt most would like a 2 piece BBL on their AR. I will be the first to say that they make an excellent build up piece and that the forging seems to be first rate. However, almost all the other parts are MIM.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#35]
The GI model chews up brass badly.  Can't remember if the Mil Spec shares the standard, non lowered ejection port.  Avoid that if you want to reload.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I love my Mil-spec.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I love my Mil-spec.

Ditto.

With the mods I've made, it shoots much better than my "Loaded".
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The GI model chews up brass badly.  Can't remember if the Mil Spec shares the standard, non lowered ejection port.  Avoid that if you want to reload.

Mil spec has better sights and lowered port. I REALLY want to like my SS one but its just so damn finicky. I really think part of the problem is that the chamber is a bit under spec. I was blaming the ammo but it shoots just fine in several other 1911s so I don't know yet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a NM prefixed model in 2003 for $399 new.  I have put a few thousand rounds through it without a problem.  Solid pistol for the price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#40]
What is this two piece barrel I am reading about?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#41]

My stainless milspec after about $400 worth of gunsmithing and upgrades.  Bought it for $350 stock.

My gunsmith specializes in 1911 pistols.  Makes race guns for competition

On this one, he fitted beavertail safety, STI hammer, BoMar rear sight, Novak front sight, Extended safety, Oversized slide release with oversized barrel link (tightened up gun a bunch) recrowned the barrel, cleaned up the trigger.

I have shot probably 200 rounds through it since the work done and it is dead accurate and reliable with all ammo I have tried.

I am very happy with it.

Sorry about the pic

Patsue
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#42]
You guys aren't helping me.  

I'm trying not to buy a Springfield Armory GI .45 1911.  You not talking me out of it.    

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What is this two piece barrel I am reading about?

The BBL is made in two pieces, the rifled tube and the chamber section. They are then sweated or friction welded [not sure which] together. If you look closely you can see the line.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I traded $158 and this (along with 3 holsters and 3 magazines):

For this:  

One of the best firearms transactions I have conducted in awhile.

This is my first 1911.  It will remain pure, as  I like service-grade weapons.  Since that's the kinds of weapons I'll most likely deploy with, I like to keep proficient with them.  Millions of GIs who have gone into battle before me can't be wrong.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
What does MIM mean guys?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
How much you gonna get it for?

it was going to be a birthday present for me for yesterday, but it's going to be a little late for a very acceptable reason.

Thanks for all the responses so far!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:40:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I traded $158 and this (along with 3 holsters and 3 magazines): i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/js98010/P94.jpg

For this:  i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/js98010/1911A1_001.jpg
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/js98010/1911A1_002.jpg
i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/js98010/1911A1_003.jpg

One of the best firearms transactions I have conducted in awhile.

This is my first 1911.  It will remain pure, as  I like service-grade weapons.  Since that's the kinds of weapons I'll most likely deploy with, I like to keep proficient with them.  Millions of GIs who have gone into battle before me can't be wrong.

nice
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#49]
btt
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Well.....did you get it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top