Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 7:37:06 AM EDT
my neighbor has one for sale and i don't know anything about them except that i want one so i'm here for help

what's it worth?

inland receiver serial # 4020XXX
underwood 7-43 barrel
bayonet lug

stock is fucked, cracked in half on one side
finish is about like all the other ones i've seen, well used but still very nice

i was thinking about offering $300
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Inland was a good manufacturer.... I'd buy it for $300.... (Some guys find all the good stuff......) Stocks are plentiful, so that's not a problem
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
If he'll take 300...

See if you can find out what kind of bolt, etc it has. You should be able to pick up stocks for fairly inexpensivly (You can get repro Para stocks for less than $100)...

You'll need to clean it of course, but finding a decent M1 Carbine these days for less than $500 is getting hard Leastways, around here ("up"state NY).

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#3]
well, he'll take whatever i tell him it's worth and give him because he doesnt know jack about guns and has no use for it

but, being the ever good guy i am i don't want to fuck him on the gun so here i am

the bolt has a W stamped on it

another thing, i fired the gun, everything was good except it threw brass all over the place, one 4 ft to the right the very next one juse barely over the left side, etc.......  is that normal?

the charging handle has a J and SG stamped on it
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say $300.00 would be a fair price.  Stocks canbe found inShotgun news

I just picked up a Inland dated 11/43 with a MK IV bayonet a few magazines and some ammo for $500.00 from my neighbor

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]
If you can get it for $300, do it.  Immediately.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
actually it was the trigger group that was inland, all i can find on the receiver is the serial #, stamped behind that looks like an O and U.S. Carbine Cal.30M1 up front
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#7]
the receiver says Underwood also, it was under the rear sight where it was hard to see
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#8]
That Serial Number is not for an Inland, but rather, for an Underwood manufactured Carbine.  Probably, the rear sight is covering-up the Underwood name.

$300 is a good price if you can get it for that. If it is throwing brass all over the place, you may need to replace the ejector assembly and/or install an angled cam operating slide on it----either one or both will result in the spent brass being ejected in/toward a more consistent path/angle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It's largly normal...perfect would be to the right/right-forward. Usually the quickest thing to go on Carbines are the extractor, so you may want to swap that out on general principals...wearing a hat might be good, too, because it's not uncommon for some cases to come back and bonk you on the head.

You shouldn't have to worry about pitting; all M1 Carbine ammo was non-corrosive. You might want to check the muzzle crown, but other than that and the extractor...that'd be about all I'd have to check.

Well, and the gas piston area. Check to see if the screw that holds it down is staked to the oprod assembly. If it's not, get a gas piston removal tool, and take the sucker out; guaranteed it's got 50+ years of gunk behind it (and it still works! reliably!)...just better safe than sorry

If it's staked on, no big deal. Hit the area for a couple of minutes with an aerosol brake cleaner or carb cleaner to flush it out a bit and you should be ok.

I have one Quality Parts carbine (blue sky import) that I put a repro M1A1 stock on; took a fair bit of fitting but it's pretty nice now.  I have another Quality Parts carbine (non-import) that is probably my favorite plinker right now. I also have an Inland one...low serial number (17XXXX), in almost perfect condition; proper flip rear sight, proper bolt type, proper stock type with cartouches and what not...problem was that it had been re-parked sometime during or after the war, and not packed in cosmo (so it's black). Also..the rear-right side of the receiver was externally pitted pretty badly. Only things that could cause pitting like that would be salt water, or blood. Still a great plinker though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#10]
tell me more about the brass pitching, looked to me it would be a real bitch to change the extractor so i guess thats gunsmith only stuff?

and where would i get parts for it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Fulton armory has all the parts you will need
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If he'll take 300...

See if you can find out what kind of bolt, etc it has. You should be able to pick up stocks for fairly inexpensivly (You can get repro Para stocks for less than $100)...

You'll need to clean it of course, but finding a decent M1 Carbine these days for less than $500 is getting hard Leastways, around here ("up"state NY).

Seems to be the price all over.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Nah, they sell tools that'll handle it for you (like the extractor removal tool for a FAL)...

I wouldn't try it without the tool

If you've worked on M1A/M14/Garands before you'll have a decent rough idea of what to expect. If you haven't....spend the money, buy the tools. Even if you wind up dumping the rifle later, you can always make back your money on the tools. (Go to a gunshow and find the deperate guy who needs a tool RIGHT NOW and can't wait for Brownell's to ship it )
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm awaiting shipment of an Inland from a guy right now...it's in pretty good shape minus some pitting on the barrel.  $400, but the stock looks really good in the pic, and it's coming with some spare parts.  

I was gonna pop it over to Fulton Armory for a rebarrel and repark job...that's another $250, but I'm pretty sure it'll be cherry after that...FA does some great M1 and carbine work, I hear.  

$300 sound pretty fair, depending on what he's got with it, it *might* be worth a little more.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top