Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2001 7:13:06 PM EDT
I'm installing RedHat6.It installs fine and detects everything until I get to the root pasword.It wont let me type one in.The computer just make a small beep when I touch a lettter key.I selected the us keyboard.It tabbed and selected fine until now.If I leave this blank will it allow me to log in?This is the seond time ive tried.What am I doing wrong?

Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It's been a while since I've used RedHat (switched to Debian), but if I remember correctly, RedHat doesn't show you what you're typing into the dialog box when it asks you for the password.  So, it might be working, but you don't know it because it doesn't show the text.  You can have a blank password with standard UNIX and with Linux.  I don't know if RedHat will allow it, but you might want to try leaving it blank.  Then when logging in the first time, simply hit return when it asks for the password.z
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Your right zoom.It doesnt show what your typing.After I rebooted after installing I just typed in root as the user name without a password.After I add another account it probally will ask for the password.This looks like it might be fun.

Thanks zoom
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Why such an old ver. of RedHat?  There are holes in that default install that should be patched immediately.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
$8.00 for the disk and book.514MB HD.Newer versions require more space if iv'e read correctly.Besides I wanted to try it out a little to see if I liked it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had some minor (though dificult to deal with) problems with 6.0 and recomend 7.1 or newer. You should have at least 2GB of disk space for it though.

If you want a smaller installation you might want to look into the more dificult to install Debian or other Linux. Red Hat is easier to install, configure, and print from than most other Linux distrobutions. It is also one of the largest though (Two binary CDs!)
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You should have at least 2GB of disk space for it [7.1] though.
View Quote

Only if you decide to install everything.  You don't have to do that.  I have three machines running 7.2 on 60 Mbyte NVRAM drives.  It was tight, and you can't install it on the drive.  You have to install it elsewhere then copy off only what you need.  The RPM executable is now almost an entire megabyte, and libc is over 4 Mbytes.  I had to use RedHat, because I need to run something that only came as a binary RPM (grrr).  With Debian, you can get a very nice installation with a C compiler, PERL, web server, SQL server of your choise, emacs, and all of the standard utilities easily in 150 Mbytes.z
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Slackware tends to run quite well on smaller systems, and it's not all that difficult to install IMO.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Slackware tends to run quite well on smaller systems, and it's not all that difficult to install IMO.

View Quote

That's what I started with back in 1995, and it was the hands on hackers distribution back then.  Kind of like what Debian is now.

2GB for a Linux distribution is ludicrous, BTW.  If it's more than 200MB, you're installing more crap than you'll probably ever use.  Then again, those window managers have gotten big lately.  But Linux distro bloat is one of the major reasons I moved from Linux to OpenBSD two years ago.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I run slack... it's an old-timer thing.  If you're used to traditional UNIX and straight forward no fancy stuff then it's good.  Otherwise most people these day seem to be going to mandrake/redhat and others to debian.

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
zoom, I think for someone who is not a Linux guru 2GB is a good size though it really does depend on all the extras you install with it.

It's not easy to estimate how much room a custom installation is going to be (although I love the way you did that 60MB installation).

At any rate installing everything (except the server stuff) and the space taked by a swap partition plus room to add stuff, I would think at least 2GB would be a good size for the avrage user.

I recommend installing C, C++, and any other programming packages EVEN if you are not going to program because some software packages require you to compile the executables.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top