Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 8:32:36 AM EDT
I know we have the black widow and brown recluse. But isn't there a third spider within the country that is dangerous to humans? Seems I remember hearing of a brown widow too or something like that.

Also, anyone know what states the brown recluse are common in? I'm pretty sure Kentucky is in their range, but I cannot ever recall seeing one of these spiders ever (not that I'm complaining!). I have always carefully looked at any brown spiders I come across for the "fiddle" shape marking, but so far, no fiddle shape. Maybe the fact that they are a "recluse" is why I haven't seen any. LOL.

I see tons of black widows in my area. There is no shortage of those. But I'm not sure that I've encountered any of other "pie-zuh-nus" varieties.

BTW, I'm sorry to bring the topic of spiders up again after all the arf.commers encounters this Summer. LOL. But Sniper_Wolfe's thread got me thinking about this again.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
My spider strategy....

"Kill them all;  God will know His own."
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I know Tn. and Ky. have too many spiders
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
The brown recluse can be found in the mid-west to the east coast and in the south.  They are hard to find because the are "reclusive".  However, if you have a tool shed or a garage that isn't all that clean.  Chances are you will probably find them in old cardboard boxes and other dark areas.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Black widows are only very dangerous to people who are allergic to bees. Their venom is similar. Yes they will cause you to feel sick though, but its highly unlikely to die from a bite.

Brown Recluse venom causes necrosis (kills and destroys cell tissue). Its mainly a med central to east coast spider, but has been found pretty much in every state at some time whether native or stowed away on packages.

As for a third, none that are really anywheres near as bad as those two. All spiders are venomous and most just cause a swelling around the bite. Its been thought the daddy long legs has the most toxic venom in the world but cant bite through human skin, but there are conflicting reports about the validity of that. Also a daddy long legs isnt a true spider since it cannot make a web.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Funnel Web spiders.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The hobo spider has a bite simular to that of the brown recluse.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]
there are recluse spiders in MI
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Funnel Web spiders.

The ones here in the US arent much of a problem since they are harmless. The ones back home in Australia are.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Funnel Web spiders.

The ones here in the US arent much of a problem since they are harmless. The ones back home in Australia are.

I thought the Hobo spdier was a member of the Funnel Web family??

I'm no spider-ologist though, so to be wrong would NOT suprise me!
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]

So what's GWBush done in the last four years about these unregulated toxic KILLERS of babies and puppies?

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#13]
The Hobo spider souds fermiliar to me. But like mentioned before, it might be #3 on the list, but its no where near as bad as the other two.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
There are poisonous spiders in the US?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave it to the guy from Oz... Just because everything you have down under is poisonous doesn't mean you have the market cornered.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Leave it to the guy from Oz... Just because everything you have down under is poisonous doesn't mean you have the market cornered.

Not everything, just alot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#17]
You probably don't see the brown recluse very often because they only get up to 3/4"...

I have so many black widows around here I quit killing them..

MT

here is a good LINK

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I killed five quarter sized spiders in my driveway today. The rain is driving them into the open.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I know we have plenty here in Missouri, and more specifically, my basement.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
We have more Black Widows here than I care to think about.  Last summer we were getting a new sand box for the kids.  The old one was a plastic turtle and was hollow underneath.  When I turned it over I found 8 of the bastards from the apparent matriarch, which was a really big one, down to a very tiny one.  I've never seen a Brown Recluse.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#22]

I've never seen a Brown Recluse.

You don't want to.  I'll take a hundred BW occupying my house as opposed to a single BR.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

So what's GWBush done in the last four years about these unregulated toxic KILLERS of babies and puppies?

LMAO! You know, I'm surprised a certain someone here hasn't dropped that one us by now!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:19:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Funnel Web spiders.

Not an expert on spiders either. Orkin doesnt train in complete ID of insect other then the common ones. Worked for them for 2 yrs and never seen a recluse. Removed more snakes (which is a hobby) than dangerous insects or rats. Found a timber rattler den during deer hunting by Dodgeville, WI. Personally got to handle some of the more "loveable" venomous snakes of Victoria when I lived there on my aunties station. Even played with some that were NOT supposed to be native to Vic. Inland taipan comes to mind.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Funnel Web spiders.

Not an expert on spiders either. Orkin doesnt train in complete ID of insect other then the common ones. Worked for them for 2 yrs and never seen a recluse. Removed more snakes (which is a hobby) than dangerous insects or rats. Found a timber rattler den during deer hunting by Dodgeville, WI. Personally got to handle some of the more "loveable" venomous snakes of Victoria when I lived there on my aunties station. Even played with some that were NOT supposed to be native to Vic. Inland taipan comes to mind.

You sure it wasnt a coastal taipan?  I dont know why the fuck an inland taipan would be in Vic...either way I would shit myself.  Those bastards chase you!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:27:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, i would run if some one was throwing emperor scorpions and funel web spiders at me. Wouldnt you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top