Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2001 1:17:31 PM EDT
I'm very new to this forum and have some questions about deals on ARs.  The questions I have are more limited by the finances that I have.
I want an AR-15 and seem to be only able to afford, or should I say save up for a Bushmaster which I've heard to be a pretty good choice.  I'm thinking about the XM15 E2S Dissipator A2 sites and found one for about $750 pre-owned but not fired.  First of all, how can I tell right off if it's been fired and cleaned really good???  The other thing, is that a good price for an unfired pre-owned AR?
Now, before I commit to a purchase, should I hold off and get an A3 flattop for more money???
Or, should I hold off on Bushmaster and get something else?

These are just a few questions and I will likely have many more in the future.

Thanks,
MrWildBill
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I think if you're worried about the quality of a used rifle, try to have a gunsmith look at it before you commit yourself. He'll inspect and gauge the bore, check the crown, bolt assy., etc. I believe every rifle is test fired at the factory, so if there were a way to tell unfired from fired, the method would not be 100% accurate even with a new rifle.

Simple things you can inspect are the bolt face and shell deflector. If you see finish wear or scratches on the shell deflector, that's a good indication that the weapon has been fired. Of course, it may have just been scratched too.

Anyway, take it to a gunsmith and get his opinion. Remember, an AR15 with 1,000 rounds through it is good as new. Hell, it's really just broken in. :)

I don't know if $750 is a great deal for a used rifle. Check gunbroker.com and see what they go for.

Bushmaster is quality stuff. You can't go wrong with them. If you're really low on money, consider buying a new complete lower and a well used upper. In the mean time, you can save for a new upper, but you'll still have a rifle to shoot. And by that time, you'll know what upper you really want. This is one of the benefits of having a modular weapons system.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
WB,

$750 is an ok price (not great) if the gun is NIB (ie never fired and still in the original box). Some questions to answer:

1. Who is the manufacturer? I would buy a NIB Armalite for $750, maybe the Bushmaster Disipator, probably not an Olympic or RRA.
2. What is the configuration? Does it have a 2 stage trigger and/or target barrel?
3. Does it come with the original box?
4. Does it have the owners manual, sling, mags, cleaning kit, etc.
5. Does it come with any USGI mags? At that price, I would try to negotiate in a couple 30 rounders.

How can you tell if it has been fired? Check the brass deflector. The guns are ususally test fired, if there are more than 3 or 4 brass marks on the deflector, it has probably been fired by the owner. Check for carbon stains on the bolt and bolt carrier.

What kind should you get?
Bushmaster Dissipator (good choice)
A3 Flat top (Unless you are willing to spend additional cash (for a scope, carry handle, etc), I would wait on that and buy another upper for it later)

My advice:
Either buy the Dissipator or save up a few more bucks and buy an [green]Armalite[/green]. My theory being; for your first AR, buy the best quality you can get. That way, you'll never be disappointed. In addition, the resale is better on an [green]Armalite[/green].
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
BM Dissy`s go for less than that last time I looked.
I have a dissy and will not part with it.
I have the A2 but wish I woulda opted for the A3.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 3:40:19 PM EDT
[#4]
MrWildBill,
         I would call $750.00 for a like new
A2 DISSIPATOR an average price But I think you can find better. My fiance' recently bought me a NIB Bushmaster A2 Dissipator for Valentines day (ok I handled the paperwork, money , etc. but she told me I could get whatever I wanted). Anyway the price was $650.00 + $25.00
shipping + $25.00 transfer fee to my ffl.
total= $700.00. We ordered It from Bill's Buy and Sell in Las Vegas Nevada. Give Shane or Bill a call at 702-382-1133. They are open Tues-SAT 11-6PM PACIFIC. They were friendly, helpful and Honest. They also seemed fairly busy so you may have to hold a minute or two. At the time they had a huge selection of Bushmasters. Anyway I am very happy with my new Bushy. It was dead on accurate out of the box and operated flawlessly using South American battlepack and Georgia Arms ammo with USGI mags. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you
JAGinGA
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered building your rifle?  This is by far the cheapest method to acquire an AR.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
You also might want to check out all the threads on the group buy purchase posted here in this forum
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies!

I'm still searching for some decent prices online and maybe I can get a deal from out of state to save on the tax.  Well, it looks like I won't be getting one for awhile since some new financial woes came my way.  I do appreciate the responses here and feel pretty welcome at this site.

MrWildBill
Phx, AZ
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I built my 20" A2 for $530 with a Olympic Arms lower and a J&T Distributing parts kit. If you can find a Dissapator kit for a good price (Bushmaster sells one for $635 but you can probabky find a cheaper kit) consider building it. It is a very simple gun to assemble.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
One way of getting into buying a AR, is buying the upper or lower depending on your cash situation at the time, and then add the other peice when you get more money.
More fun is buying a AK or SKS to see if you like it. Cheap ammo and durable, also a good weapon to learn gun cleaning on and simple gun smithing.
Then if you still want the AR, you can sell your 'practice' gun.
I sold two AK's to buy my AR.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top