Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:56:14 PM EDT
Can American civys carry firearms in Iraq?

I have some more questions due to the fact that my 57yr old mother thats somewhat overweight and currently works in a hospital has been offered a desk job in Iraq for $100k a year. I'm hoping to talk to some people that have had some experience with contract in Iraq. I dont have a location to ask about but I am trying to find out the danger level of the area she would stay in. Somehow the job is suppose to be under the work of the military. I wish I had more details right now.

Currently my mother has no defensive mindset and thus I am discouraging her from going. But the $100k a year is a strong motivation factor for her.

Feel free to IM me please.

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:27:51 AM EDT
It depends a lot on what company you work for and where you are. There are lots of civilians carrying guns although for the life of me I can't figure out why or what most of them expect to do with them. It's sad yet funny to see some of these folks walking around with a big pistol, usually a Beretta or a Glock, on their hip and they're walking funny so you can tell they never carried one before; either that or they'd have to pull the fat back from the gun with one hand before they could draw (saw that in Baghdad a couple of times).

I don’t know how big your mother is so don’t take this the wrong way but being obese in this environment creates some problems. It is very hot and dusty no matter where you go. Large folks tend to get hotter with the extra insulation, their cooling systems (sweating) is often not very efficient, there seems to be a larger increase in the number of new onset hypertension cases amongst the heavy crowd (I’d love to see the actual numbers, I draw this theory from talking to other medical folks here- I’ve sent several folks home for it), it creates hygiene problems, you fly most places (weight restrictions on helos and uncomfortable seating in all aircraft) or convoy (big folks do not fit inside Humvees well at all). Depending on where she is, many of the bases still have gravel or uneven terrain to walk on although if she’s going to be in a hospital it would be one of the larger bases with better amenities. Speaking of, “hospital” here doesn’t necessarily mean a hard structure- it could be a tent (i.e. the tent setup for most of the CSHs). If she has any health issues now, the stress and the weather will likely exacerbate them. There are restrictions on what health issues you can have and work here too- no IDDM for example.

I also have wondered what some of the out-of-shape folks where were thinking when they signed up- what are they going to do if they have to run to a bunker, run to an undamaged vehicle, etc.

Hope that helps, again, not trying to be mean, but think seriously before making the jump.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:05:20 PM EDT
I pretty much concur with sandboxmedic down the line. Danger? Sure, there's danger but odds are better she'll catch an exotic disease or be run over by a Striker than killed by the IslamoFascists (not that any of them are very likely). Washington DC's annual per capita murder rate** is about 40 per 100,000. On the camp where I live, I figure it's about 16 per 100,000 (my SWAG figures, mind you, not DoDs). But every day (and sometimes 24/7) you're exposed to the sights, sounds and smells of war. If you're not prepared for that, this place'll drive you bat-sh*t.

In my experience, most of the people who hire on here and bug out over safety concerns do so within 72 hours of arrival. The ones who bail after that mostly just got sick of the primitive living conditions.

Of that $100K, BTW, the first $80K is exempt from federal income tax. :-)

**According to www.SafeStreetsDC.com.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:43:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:47:52 PM EDT
Thanks all for the no BS info. At this time she has declined, which I think is best for her. I appreciate no smartass remarks and hassle.

Now only if they would higher peeps in chairs, I could be a turrent gunner!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:53:32 PM EDT
It's a good gig and an adventure. She might have a great time and if she doesn't she can quit and come home with a great story.

Really she would have no need for a gun, though I've seen 57 yo women with them over there. Green Zone or Anaconda hospital or desklwork would be safe. I wouldn't advise her against it for safety reasons.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:42:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hoplite: I know KBR has a no weapons policy for its employees. $100k desk job if shes sitting in the wire, I honestly wouldnt worry.
Which contracting company over allow civilians to carry weapons? Please, don't say Blackwater.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:45:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:51:05 AM EDT
Almost all of the personel working for the security companies including Blackwater, Dynacorp, Triple Canopy, Global, etc as well as the companies doing the dog handling and IED work. SOS has some of their folks carrying. Hell, just about everybody who hires expats except KBR and ESS has at least some folks carrying.
Top Top