Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:41:49 PM EDT
I am looking at some property out 50+ miles out in the boonies (technical term...) that is setup to use propane appliances.

There is one huge propane storage tank that lasts nearly a year.

Currently the owner has propane delivered as required. Pays a per lb or gal price plus a fat delivery fee.

Is it possible to get a pair of large cylinders such as used to fire a roofers tar furnace and use them to refill the large storage tank.

If the smaller tanks did not have siphon tubes could they be inverted above the other tank and the LP just slowly drain into the lower tank while gaseous propane would collect in the top of the tanks?

A few places I stop at are within a few blocks of a large propane facility, I was hoping I could just drop off tanks and get them filled like I do with the small ones used for camping.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Too expensive.  Not to mention the insurance needed to haul that much propane.  And then the hazards...

The distributor who fills the tank has a better price than what you can get and has a pump to make it much faster.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't be much worse than hauling Acetylene bottles around.

And I am not worried about the time factor.  Hook them up and let them drain for a few days.

This is just to reduce my own cost, not a delivery biz or anyting like that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Can't be much worse than hauling Acetylene bottles around.

And I am not worried about the time factor.  Hook them up and let them drain for a few days.

This is just to reduce my own cost, not a delivery biz or anyting like that.

Anything more than 50 gallons requires hazmat and since this is a compressed, liquified gas, it is MUCH different than a bottle or two of acetylene.  

Trust me, propane is not worth the DIY.  I was considering a propane-fueled vehicle.  But a DIY filling station isn't practical.  You need a pump.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it possible to get a pair of large cylinders such as used to fire a roofers tar furnace and use them to refill the large storage tank.  

If the smaller tanks did not have siphon tubes could they be inverted above the other tank and the LP just slowly drain into the lower tank while gaseous propane would collect in the top of the tanks?

You could use smaller tanks to transfer propane for one to the other, however it would be the biggest headache you ever had, because you can only transfer a percentage of your smaller tank's propane without a pump, you might get 10-12 gallons transferred, and thats assuming your large tank's empty.  It's not worth the time, trouble or "saving" you think you might save, because you'll be paying bulk pricing when delivered but going rate if you pick up a couple 100lb. (about 25-26 gallons) tanks at a time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
So maybe the best bet is to just buy a second large tank and buy double - cutting the frequency in half.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have refilled 1lb propane cannisters from a 20lb tank before. The 1lb tank must first be chilled in the freezer. Then connected to the 20lb then invert the 20lb tank and open the valve. The colder the 1lb container, the faster it fills. I'm not sure you could do that with 100lb canisters, except in the winter. Even then, inverting them would be dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I am no expert in propane, only a user of it.  Most of the fuel companies own the tank.  That discourages people from shopping around, as the companies generally won't fill a competitor's tank.  If you have been buying from the same source for a number of years then the old strategy is to raise the rates to see if you will keep paying.  Most people do.

Shop around for a different source of propane.  That will require changing out of tanks and some hassle on your part.  Definately request a pre-buy program.  I pre-buy and it has saved me thousands.  A bit of legwork can really pay off in savings.

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:13:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anything more than 50 gallons requires hazmat and since this is a compressed, liquified gas, it is MUCH different than a bottle or two of acetylene.  

Trust me, propane is not worth the DIY.

+1,000,000 when talking about bulk LP.

Think pressurized liquid hydrogen gas (layman's description, so back off chemists ).

I tinker with a lot of propane-powered stuff (generators, vehicles) as I have a pal in the propane biz (cheap fuel ), but am pretty leary of anything bigger than about 40#, due to the potential damage a blevy would cause.

www.firehouse.com/news/2002/11/1_Pmt.html

Link describes a blevy of just 600 gallons.  Kieth, if your friend runs his place on LP all year long, I'd bet his tank holds more.

Quoted:
...the companies generally won't fill a competitor's tank...

Primarily because of the liability (see link above).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Questions for '' Hank Hill '' type Propane experts

Why would you seek advice from an idiot?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Fun propane facts.

Heavier than air, methane/natrual gas is lighter than air(more carbon and BTU' S
per pound, hotter burn.

Compressed 270 times as it would be in a vapor state.

To make an explosive mixture it is a rate of 42 parts air 1 part propane

using that formula, 1 20lb cylinder can under ideal conditions make the volume of 11340 tanks (270X42). so picture 11340 tanks containing a explosive.  

20lb cylinder is about 5 gallons of LPG

have respect for the grill tank.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I tinker with a lot of propane-powered stuff (generators, vehicles) as I have a pal in the propane biz (cheap fuel ), but am pretty leary of anything bigger than about 40#, due to the potential damage a BLEVE would cause.

Boiling
Liquid
Enclosed
Vessel
Explosion

Pronounced BLEVEY

Fixed it for'ya

Last place in worked sold propane, our suppliers manager told us propane is so safe it's dangerous.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Boiling
Liquid
Expanding
Vapor
Explosion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top