Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/17/2012 6:31:27 AM EST
I decided for the first time in my life I'm actually going to read the books. I have about 100 pages of reading material to go, and four days to do it.

What I am noticing thus far is that while not incomprehensible, I am having trouble figuring out exactly what is going on from the initial reading.

I'm curious how to approach this. Should I throw tons of time at the reading, or should I just read it so I have seen what is going on and hope that when it is taught (thus seeing it a second time) it makes a lot more sense to me than it would if I had not read it and gone to class?

Much of this is more mild proofs and concepts I already know, but shown in a linear algebra context. Part of the problem I think is that my education in linear algebra sucked.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:38:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/21/2012 8:45:14 AM EST by Slu54]
Duke or UNC?

Honestly good books are hard to find, especially textbooks. I am not an economist, but economics books are more similar to math books than anything else.

The only thing that can help is reading a lot, and reading the same topic presented by different people. It also helps to take classes, and to take classes on the same topics, presented at gradually increasing difficulty. It takes a lot of time.

As for linear algebra, when I took it (I was a freshman in college), we used a book by G. Strang, which is a decent intro book. Different people will tell you different books. What is important is that when you a read a textbook, not only do you read, but you do the problems. Being able to do the problems in a book shows a much higher level of understanding than just being able to read the book. I remember I took the linear algebra course over the summer, and I didn't have anyone to work with. I struggled a lot, but at the same time, solving problems in isolation, without any help other than the book and your brain, leads to deep understanding and, honestly, a lot of satisfaction.

I can tell you that linear algebra is probably the most useful math I've ever learned.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:00:18 AM EST
Heh, I'm now here (NCSU) and the semester is almost over.

I've figured out how to study.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 5:21:35 PM EST
Damn I didn't even look at the date.

I guess this forum doesn't get too much attention.
Top Top