Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 4:55:33 PM EDT
summary below...

yea, well 5 years ago..  I bought a home, on the 5 acres the home was on, was a shitty pond. I fixed up the pond, originally it was very shallow, like 2 feet deep shallow! Only inhabitatants it had, were bull frogs.

I fixed it, and made it 12 feet deep at the center along with 5-8 feet along the edges.

the pond is 120x70ish.

the pond had 0 fish, I spent a grand, and stocked it with catfish, blue gill,sunfish, and bass... this was 5 years ago now, the catfish have all had babies, the originals are fairly large now (largest being 3 feet long maybe?) , but good luck getting them to come to the surface to eat fish food, to actually see. :/ Only the 30+ babies do that. each baby is a foot long maybe more now.

Oh let us not forget 1 single baby Grass Carp that i threw in with the catfish originally.

Please fast forward with me in my time machine to today....

I finally see this fucking Carp... THE THING IS HUGE, has to be largest fish in the pond, Its outgrown all the catfish!

Im not even sure exactly how long it was now, I never saw the god damn head!!!!! but The part of the body that i saw, was atliest 2 and a half feet long!

All I saw was a basket weave of scales in the depths that was long and cruising around, and quickly exited my vision...

the things never been caught, but i never thought to try to catch the Carp before, only thing i like to catch is the catfish,/ only thing that i CAN catch is the catfish :)

but jesus, this Karp is huge :)

Are karp fun to catch?

My buddy had a karp in his pond also never saw it until one day he ended up draining his pond and moving it, and in doing so, he finally saw how large his grass karp got, he said it was 4 feet long!!

From what im told, Grass Carp will continue to grow to what the environment will support?

how big do you think mine will get?

Do grass carp just survive off algae? or can they? I probably have some kind of stuff that is on the bottom of my pond but i got no clue what it is.

1) got land with pond 5 years ago.
2) stocked pond with catfish, bluegills, 1 grass karp. 5 years ago.
3) today i finally saw grass Karp and its FUCKING HUGE!
4) I want to catch said Grass karp.

and thats it i guess. edit oh yea CATCH AND RELEASE My fish are like pets!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The catfish will eat the bluegills like candy. Throw some oatmeal on the pond and shoot the carp with some buckshot.  The turtles that you don't know you have will eat the dead carp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Carp are fun to catch. They can put up a hell of a fight.

Good Luck! Post pics!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
don't catch him dude, he is still a baby.  they get much bigger than that, and besides they eat moss that sits on the surface of the water.  Your pond might get that shitty moss all over it without that grass carp in there.

For what it's worth my dad claims he has seen them close to 6 feet long before.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
We had 100 grass carp put in our small lake.  Like you said they get fucking huge.  I caught a sick one with a landing net and it snapped off the aluminum circle attached to the pole.  It weighed around 60lbs.  They are almost impossible to catch with a traditional pole unless you feed a lot.  I have shot a few with everything from .22's to SKS's.  The best way to catch them is to bow fish for them.  Then you just reel them in.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The catfish will eat the bluegills like candy. Throw some oatmeal on the pond and shoot the carp with some buckshot.  The turtles that you don't know you have will eat the dead carp.

heh, wtf? heh, why would i want to kill the poor carp???

my pond is catch and release... they are my pets really :) They are low maintenance pets indeed :)

I have thought about eating a catfish once or twice though...

The bluegills are still doing very good also, They have babies all over the place, fingerlings running all over.

thats actually true on the turtle part though, i was digging around my pond 2 years ago, and hit a nest of turtle eggs right on a hill by my pond :( Never even knew i had turtles until that happened. I felt bad about it, I cracked like 3 of the eggs with my shovel while cutting through the ground, i covered the area back up so not to disturb any of the others.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
don't catch him dude, he is still a baby.  they get much bigger than that, and besides they eat moss that sits on the surface of the water.  Your pond might get that shitty moss all over it without that grass carp in there.

For what it's worth my dad claims he has seen them close to 6 feet long before.

i guess i shoulda put on the original post that i dont eat what i catch :)

Catch and release.

If he eats the moss that gets on the surface of the pond, then that explains what hes eating then. because i dont think there are any other plants really in the pond other than algae, and some kind of moss that gathers mid year around the edges.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
How to catch a carp. Walk quietly along the bank of a reservoir early in the morning. Try not to think about water moccasins. It's hard to concentrate on carp fishing if you think about snakes. Snake boots would probably be a good idea but that would look gay with shorts. Just keep an eye out for them. Mother fucker! Look at the size of that fucking water moccasin. It would not be a good idea to shoot it because the old folks in the retirement community near by would call the police and you are really not supposed to be fishing in the reservoir. Reach out and tap it with the tip of the fly rod. That got its attention. Admire the size of it as it slips casually into the water. Maybe snake boots are not so gay after all.

Look for disturbances in the water near the edge. Also look for places where the mud is stirred up. That will be carp feeding. There are two right over there. One looks pretty big. The are grubbing around where the bank meets the water looking for mussels and crawfish. Carp can be caught on flys but it is very difficult and the carp have to be in just the right mood to take a fly. If you have a lot of time go ahead and throw a fly but I would just rather catch fish than spend a lot of time waiting for a carp to get in the mood to take a fly.

Ease closer to where they are feeding. You will occasionally see a tail fin as they dig around on the bottom. Estimate where the head is and gently lower your hook baited with sweet corn kernels down in front of the carp. A nine foot, five weight fly rod makes a good rod to do this. It also makes it a lot of fun to play a carp with a light fly rod.

If you get the corn down on the bottom right under the carp's nose sometimes they will taste the corn with their barbells. That is the whiskers around their mouth. They taste food with them and decide whether or not they are going to eat it. Sometimes they will decide that sweet corn might be good to eat.

Have a good grip on the rod and make sure the drag is adjusted properly because things are about to get interesting.

When the carp takes the corn baited hook you will either see the line go slack or it will get tight, either way set the hook.

There he goes. Headed straight out to the middle of the lake. Don't try to man handle a carp. The big ones are very strong. Just keep the rod elevated at about a forty five degree angle and let him take line. They don't have much of a strategy like a bass. A carp will just try to go deep and stay there. As you see all the fly line rapidly leaving the reel don't panic. You have a hundred yards or so of backing. This is what it is for. You will probably never see the backing if you are fishing for trout or bass but you damn sure will see it if you hook a big carp.

Sooner or later he will quit running straight away and start swimming back and forth. Now you can start playing him and start working line back onto the reel. Occasionally the carp will get a second wind and make another run for the deep water. Go ahead and let him take line. He will stop sooner this time.

This may go on for an hour or two. Eventually you will get him near the bank. Watch out. When the carp sees you he will make a last ditch effort to escape and strip off another fifty yards of line. Work him back in. Once he is played out and you can get him to the bank and he is no longer fighting reach in and pull him out by one of his gills. Make sure you have good footing because they are heavy.

Unhook the fish and put him back in the water. Support him and work him around in the water until he is revived and able to swim again. Let him go. If your arms can take it go look for another one. Two in one morning is about all the fun I can take.

Best Regards,
HTG
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Carp like doughballs and nightcrawlers.  And really, just about anything else you can think of. I know people who catch them on dog food.

Anyways, a quick and easy doughball is the canned biscuit dough. You know, the poppin' fresh stuff that you rap on the counter to open. Big carp around here love it. Other places, like the Snake River in Idaho, they love nightcrawlers.

Lots of fun to catch. Most people catch and kill them as trash fish because they stir the bottom up. Not me though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
IGFA record is 78 pounds 12 oz.   but ...  
http://www.bassonhook.com/newsinfo/article%20619.html

We released 14 juvenile grass carp in our prison pond several years back. They are triploid (sterile; they have 3 chromosomes)  10 or 11 are still alive. They were about 9-10 inches long and now are 28-34".   They are supposed to eat pond weeds and algae, but constant handouts from the inmates have drastically altered their preferences. They now eat whole wheat bread and bologna ... and the weeds in the pond often have to be cleared out by hand again. Go figure.  There used to be quite a few Fly Line records vacant, if you ever thought of giving that a try.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#10]
we had a grass carp in our neighbor hood pnd, we think it died. any for like 2 days it would come to the surface and roll around, one day we went out there in a canoe and snagged it with a net. pulled it into the boat. it was like 4.5 feet long. we weighed it at 45lbs. we put it in the smaller ponf and never seen it again. man that was a big fish
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if i should get a few extra carp in my pond then... how many you think my pond can support?
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I've caught different kinds of carp on things like: lettuce, soft dry dog food, corn, globs of peanut butter(soft), cookie dough, canned biscuits, Ruffles potato chips(because they have ridges?), and a number of other things.  I have alsocaught catfish with the same stuff.  Also, never underestimate the power of chocalate on a pissed of midle aged carp.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wonder if i should get a few extra carp in my pond then... how many you think my pond can support?
That depends on how big it is, how much vegetation, etc.  Call a fish guy.  we have one to help us manage our pond.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#14]
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w237/fisharnold/PC100006.jpg

Theres a small one just under 20 lbs I caught a few years back in a neighborhood canal in Miami.  My setup is a 1'' hook, bb size sinker, and a bobber about 7-8 feet up.  For bait I use a half slice of regular bread, and mash it on the hook into a ball (nothing from the hook shows).  Then, just kick back, have a beer, and wait for the bobber to dip!  I've caught them up to 30 lbs around my canal, with ones in the 40s not uncommon.  I used to have an IGFA junior world record for a 30 pounder, but it got broken by a 35'er  Tight lines!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top