Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:24:46 AM EST
Hello all,
I’m looking for some information regarding becoming an Army Ranger.

My overall PT is very good but I have questions about one thing. I have not been doing any rucking, I don’t have boots or a good rucksack and my funds are extremely limited, but I will have to ruck to maintain conditioning through basic, AIT, and airborne school anyway so that should be more than enough time to get into excellent rucking condition. I am assuming I will be issued a rucksack and boots right off the bat. Is all of this correct?

My next question is about a security clearance. I am an American but I live in Canada at the moment and have dual citizenship. Will this in any way affect my ability to get a clearance? I am completely willing to drop the dual citizenship. Also is it possible to get a guaranteed shot at Ranger training in my contract and leave for basic without the clearance and have the checks done while I go through basic, AIT, and airborne school?

Thirdly is it possible to get a guarantee of laser eye surgery in my contract?

Lastly, I will be twenty three at the end of the month. Am I going to be the old man in a Ranger unit?


Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:53:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 7:56:04 AM EST by rifle-cop624]
You should be able to get a "Ranger contract" at MEPS when you sign with the career counselor. If that happens, Uncle Sugar will make sure you get in the proper physical and mental shape for Ranger School, or if not, you'll be shit-canned.

Not trying to sound harsh, but the standard is either met, or you go "needs of the Army". You will get plenty of ruck-time at Ft. Benning during Basic and Infantry School, then Airborne school has to be done.

Next, you will have to complete RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program). IF you make it that far, you'll go to your Ranger Battalion, and they will prep you for Ranger school, which you will likely attend once you make PFC.

Don't know about the eye surgery question.

I had a TS when I was regular Army, and I was born in Canada, sooo........

There are plenty of old farts in the Infantry. You'll be ok as long as you are motivated.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:57:16 AM EST
The Ranger PT standards for RIP are- (been awhile)

Ruck- 12 miles, 40lbs, 3 hours (though if they have too many people, it gets pushed to 2.5 hours)

Run- 5 miles, 40 minutes... What they dont tell you is that you have to run a mile to the start point, and then a mile back... Last mile is up a very steep hill.

Normal Army PT test- 70% (this could have changed since the Army made standards lower since then) in each event in the 17-21 yr age group.. Regardless of your age... It was 70% to pass RIP, but you had to do 80% percent within 6 months of reaching Bat... You were smoked on a daily basis, so its easy..

Swim- basically swim 20 meters (?) in Uniform, boots, with weapon held above water.. Easier said then done...

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:05:11 AM EST
You shouldn't have any problem with the citizenship issue.

Make damn sure that you get the Ranger option WRITTEN in your contract!

If I may give a piece of advice - ears open, mouth shut, do what you are told.
You'd be amazed how hard that is for some people.
If you do get your choice, you may want to keep it to yourself when you go through Basic and AIT. Some of the Leg drill instructors enjoy making your life a little more miserable if they find out.

Good Luck
Sua Sponte,
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:35:52 AM EST
Laser eye surgery is available in the Army now with some restrictions. There are only 5 Army hospitals doing the surgery (I don't know all of them). Priority goes to combat arms guys under the War Fighter Program. You would qualify as an 11 series but it might take awhile as you would need to be complete with most if not all of your training as there are about a year of follow up exams.

You won't get it in your contract as it is an elective surgery. Meaning, you don't need it but want it. There is a push to get soldiers the surgery as it allows you to wear normal ballistic goggles without having to wear "over the glasses" goggles all the time when deployed.

Wurzburg Army Hospital in Germany and Ft. Lewis, do the procedure for sure. I think the others are Walter Reed, Ft. Benning, Ft. Sam Houston, and maybe Ft. Sill.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:24:33 PM EST
IM inbound.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:54:19 PM EST
I wouldn't worry about rucking you will beat your knees up enough if you make it to a Battalion. Know how to swim. Endurance is a major factor that sets Rangers apart from other units. When you think you have done enough pt for the day, you haven't, do more. Best advice given to me was never quit. G_S
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By TANGOCHASER:

Wurzburg Army Hospital in Germany and Ft. Lewis, do the procedure for sure. I think the others are Walter Reed, Ft. Benning, Ft. Sam Houston, and maybe Ft. Sill.

They do it here on Ft. Bragg as well. Lots of guys have taken advantage of it. Thankfully I have 20/20 as is.

If you happen to fail RIP and go needs of the Army then you could feel well end up in the 82nd. If your eyes are bad enough and you qualify then you can get it done at some point.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:21:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 6:27:15 PM EST by ROK]
Just got back from working with the Rangers overseas. I'm an old fart but this is what I remember:

1. Run until you cant run anymore - then run another mile.
2. The Darby Queen kicked my ass more than anything else. Upper body strength and endurance is key for Ranger School. (I know not all Rangers in the 75th are tabbed).
3. It's all in your head.

PT helps - but I recommend maxing 2/3 events. Run and Pushups are the most important events to concentrate on. Rucking is also helpful - work on your stride - the longer the better. Always remember - its all in your head.

Unless the rules changed again, I know you CANNOT get a TS SBI with dual-citizenship (unless you were Chinese and gave money to the Clinton administration). I think with a collateral clearance (SECRET) the dual-citizenship is OK. You gotta give up the other passport for a TS. I had one guy with an Irish citizenship that held up his TS for a year.

Best of luck.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:08:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 9:11:14 PM EST by KNEESINTHEBREEZE]
If you do not get an option 40 in WRITING in your enlistment contract, you are a fool. Also, PT is paramount when getting ready for RIP or Ranger school. The PT you will do in OSUT, BAC, or otherwise isn't going to cut it. You must PT on your own in addition to the regular PT that you will do. That being said, do not overdo it. Here is a good sample workout for preparation for Ranger school:

Ranger School workout

If you have any questions regarding enlisting, contracts, schools, etc. go here. There are folks who can give you all the info and preparation you need. There is also a mentor program set up for young hooahs who are looking to join.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:14:08 PM EST
endurance and a can do attitude is paramount. as others said... eyes open, mouth shut, volunteer without hesitation.

would be a good idea to get a copy of the ranger handbook now and learn the ranger creed, basics of patrolling, etc.

also the better in shape you're now, the less you'll hurt then. not to mention you'll be better able to focus on the block of instruction than how much you're hurting. i'd recommend aiming for maxing the p.t. in all catagories if possible, it'll make life MUCH easier if you're a pt stud.

R.L.T.W. class 05/01
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:24:22 AM EST
Thanks to all. Every bit of info is welcome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:42:51 AM EST
BTW, here is the Ranger handbook available to download:

Ranger Handbook
Top Top