Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2013 7:12:46 PM EDT
If you are just starting in the chairs in your primary lodge, should you accept an offer to be elected as a Warden in a plural lodge?  And if so, is it fair to your primary to expect the next appointment there?  Is it reasonable for the new Master to expect your first loyalty to be to your primary lodge, and base his appointment on that decision?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think its fair to either lodge.

I go to 1 meeting, 2 extras, 2 practices and 1 school a month, plus any funerals. Do you have time to put that many more nights a month on your plate?  What about other lodge functions like dinners and such?

What about your family/wife?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
A little background.  Rarely here does the line not advance.  We do a good job of a guy not going past Senior Steward if he's not going to make a good Master.  It is virtually unheard of for anyone being elected Master from out of nowhere.

Initially, I was leaning towards not making appointments if they held a higher office in another Lodge, and said as much.  You can imagine the chaos this caused in a couple of church mouse Lodges that depend on these guys.  Eventually I sorted it all out.  It was all there in front of me, all I had to do was look.  It's all in the work.  You just need to see it.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I joined the Lodge when I was in college. I went through to Junior Warden there, then moved back home and joined the local Lodge. When I became Worshipful Master, I demitted from my original Lodge out of respect for the Lodge I was leading.

Brother, I think that if you have to ask, you already know the answer in your heart.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A little background.  Rarely here does the line not advance.  We do a good job of a guy not going past Senior Steward if he's not going to make a good Master.  It is virtually unheard of for anyone being elected Master from out of nowhere.

Initially, I was leaning towards not making appointments if they held a higher office in another Lodge, and said as much.  You can imagine the chaos this caused in a couple of church mouse Lodges that depend on these guys.  Eventually I sorted it all out.  It was all there in front of me, all I had to do was look.  It's all in the work.  You just need to see it.

View Quote

Usually, a Brother is carried along until Senior Deacon. If you can't do the work you don't move on.

As for the second issue, your GL likely has a rule that you have to have been a SW or JW and certify in all the degree work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, in Wisconsin you can't be Master until you've served one full term as a Warden.  When I was JD in my Lodge, another Lodge full of nothing but PMs asked if I'd serve a year as SW and then Master.  Thanked them but said no.  I don't think that's right.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My great great great Grandfather was WM of the Lodge in Durand WI for 7 years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
At my lodge they try to move you up through the chairs. Due to being a small lodge we have a lot of PM . Often 3/4 plus at any given meeting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top