Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/22/2005 4:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 7:13:12 AM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]
My internet has been on fritz lately.

Every day, it'll go bonkers for anywhere from 20 minutes up to 3 hours. In that span, the data feed light will blink red (implying lost packets?), I can still check email, but that is it.

I called my ISP a couple times during the week, they just got back to us today. They said it is probably bad line feed (or some shit like that) and he is going to ticket the phone company to come out and check it. (Sprint is the provider, we have a third party providing the net service)

Any ideas what shit could be going on?

Could it be the feds? Tapping the line.....

The shit started about a week ago, thinking it was a flux in the "box", I let it go for a few days.. till I was getting really ticked. We already tried rebooting the modem, and the router mutiple times, and it didn't work.. so, obviously has to be on the outside.

I am on a static IP-SDSL line.

UPDATE:

Ok... so, after a few weeks of back and forth between the ISP and me, we are no closer to solving the problem.

We use a third party ISP (been with them for over 10 years), and they use the Sprint lines. (I like SDSL better than ADSL anyway...)

The ISP has sent out Sprint three times already, to check the lines/send pings etc... with no problem found.

They thought it might be our modem gone bad, but... why does the connection go down generally around 5ish in the afternoon, 12ish also in the afternoon, and sometimes during the early evening? (8-10). It'll go down anywhere from 5 minutes, up to almost 3 hours at one point.

They (the ISP) thought we might have been DOSed.. but, the router logs dont' indicate that. Plus, why the standard times for it being taken down?

We called them again on Friday (ISP), and told us that they have no idea.. and they think its our setup. However.. these are the same people that said 4 other people were also having problems... so, unless they lied then, they're lieing now.

Its coming to the point where the other people in the house want to drop our current provider, and go with cable. I'd rather avoid that... as cable around here is notorious for being bad.

Any ideas? Anything that I can check?

Here is a weirder part... my brother runs a teamspeak server, and still can use that as long as its running prior to the shutdown... along with any games. As long as the connection is open, it stays open, he just cant make any new connections.

UPDATE P2

I decided to try some shit on my own.. before I recall my ISP and either drop my connection with them or tell them I want to talk to Sprint directly.

Around 5 or so, I unplugged the router from the modem... as there was no connection being made between any PC to the modem. I waited around for an hour or so, and I monitored the connection to see if it went bat shit. It didn't.... I then unplugged all the PCs from the router.. except for mine, and plugged the router back into the modem. It went out again after about an hour or so of browsing. Once again, it happens between 5 and 9, and generally comes back online after 9ish. I know its not my PC, as it goes down even when my PC is off (my brother can verify that). So, I was wondering if its the router... I unplugged myself from the router, and replugged myself directly to the modem. (Maybe not one of the brightest moves.. but, I have windows firewall + norton up and running monitoring my net connections). Well, it went down again.. so, its defintely an issue not associated with our system setup. (as my ISP is trying to explain to me...)

On a lighter note.. our cable company is increasing the speeds starting in march, 10mb d/l, 1mb upload... much faster than the DSL we got (768/768).

I'll pop the tech guy from the ISP an email in the next day or so, and explain the situation. If he comes back to us and still says its our problem/they can't fix it.. then, I am gonna say "goodbye" and drop them like a bad cold.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:25:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 4:26:05 PM EDT by justthefacts]
Run your spyware eliminator and virus software.

Edit: then we can go from there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 4:26:01 PM EDT by WildBoar]
Try another phone cord?

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:26:16 PM EDT
I've never met any Guros and Technies.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:26:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 4:28:42 PM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Did you check the lines comming in and your splitters?

Is it DSL or Cable?

I visually checked the DSL line from the phone box (in the garage) to the modem box, it looked ok.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:28:15 PM EDT

Try another phone cord?

Supposed I could try that.

I'll probably have to buy a reel of it, as it stretches a good 40 or so feet from the box.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:28:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By VooDoo3dfx:

Is it DSL or Cable?

I visually checked the DSL line from the phone box (in the garage) to the modem box, on the outside, it looked ok.

Are there any staples in the lines?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:30:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By justthefacts:

Is it DSL or Cable?

I visually checked the DSL line from the phone box (in the garage) to the modem box, on the outside, it looked ok.

None that penetrated, no. We used staples to "hang" the line up against the wall, but none nicked it.

We've had it this way for about 3 and a half years....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:39:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By justthefacts:

Is it DSL or Cable?

None that penetrated, no. We used staples to "hang" the line up against the wall, but none nicked it.

We've had it this way for about 3 and a half years....

Ok.. if it just started up i would refer back to my first post. you will be surprised at how slow your internet can become from spyware.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:41:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 4:44:12 PM EDT by Taffy223]
Run all your anti virus... avg /spyware/adaware/spybot search and destroy/cwshredder/ewido/pestpatrol etc (all free from the web)

Then get an independent telephone engineer to check your household lines. Have you added anything in the house recently like a new phone or fax?. Do you have REN # problems with US lines...I dunno, the more we add to our home lines the more problems we have.

You need to eliminate

Your PC(spyware etc)
Your Phone lines(bad connection/wiring)
Their(ISP) Phone lines
Possible modem/driver problem(they do become faulty)
Do you have DACS (Link ) over there, when the phone Co connect two or more phone lines through one connection causing terrible internet problems?

Taffy

Do you maintain your PC regularly?
ie clear out temp files and cookies and scandisc with defragmenter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:45:21 PM EDT
Pcpitstop

Go here and run all the tests to see if you can help resolve the issue.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 4:47:36 PM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]

Originally Posted By Taffy223:

I don't think its any of the PC problems.. as if we disconnect the router from the modem, the modem still goes bonkers.

I did virus scan + spyware, I dunno about the other people on the line though.

What I'll do is see if I can get another wire to run from the box, hopefully its not on the outside.. that would suck balls.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:38:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:43:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Troy:
It's winter. Any connection problems in the wires anywhere between you and the main office will be exposed by the wind and water, and your phone company is going to have to trace down the problem. Don't worry; they do this all day long, and they can find it and fix it if they try. The only problem you have is making sure they don't simply ignore the problem or give up before they fix it.
-Troy

I'll be all over them like heffner on the playboy girls...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:52:18 PM EDT
Update.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:56:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:58:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

Originally Posted By Troy:
It's winter. Any connection problems in the wires anywhere between you and the main office will be exposed by the wind and water, and your phone company is going to have to trace down the problem. Don't worry; they do this all day long, and they can find it and fix it if they try. The only problem you have is making sure they don't simply ignore the problem or give up before they fix it.

-Troy

+1 if sprint owns or controls part of the leg, your pretty much fucked. i deal with them down here a good bit. they have the morst "don't give a shit" techs and operations department of any telco i have ever dealt with.

Thats comforting.

Even funnier though... is that I knew more about networking/systems/DSL then the Sprint techie that came out to test the line. He kept asking me questions about DSL, different types.. distances etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:01:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 5:05:32 PM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]

thats about what i find. i generally have to explain the t1 labels to them when they come to check the site because they don't understand how their own system is configured . nothing like havein the IBM systems guy trying to tell the telco guy where the problem is and just watching give me a "deer in the headlights" look.

Could the lines/CO be overloaded?

I just find it amusing that the connection goes down generally around the same time everyday.

I feel like calling Sprint management myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:02:05 PM EDT
I have similar dsl problems. its nothing with you or your equipment inside the house, most likely.... its your ISP's problem. either a dslam issue, or other problems.

DSL does work like cable internet the more people having DSL in your area it will slow down and start to have problems. you can call and request to be changed to a different dslam. they might do it they might not. they have done it 3 times for me(alltel) and my dsl is still problematic at times.

I have had ongoing dsl problems for the last 1.5 years. i have learned alot about dsl that i didn't know about, nor want ot know about
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:07:42 PM EDT
First off, ask if they can actively monitor the connection during the times you listed. They'll probably tell you yes, but then they wont actually do it. So ask for the ticket number, and ask for the phone number to the control center. The INSTANT you start experiencing problems during that time, call them and get a tech on the phone to check it out.

Also, and I dont know if they will do it for residential, but ask if they can dispatch a tech and put a scope on your line for 24 to 48 hours. I dont know if they do that for residential service, but we damn sure will do it for business class customers.

Your best bet is going to be to get the scope on the line. That WILL pick up ANYTHING. A damned whale can fart in the pacific and that scope will tell you. Great stuff. But I really dont know if they do that for residential service.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:01:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:50:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cruze5:
I have similar dsl problems. its nothing with you or your equipment inside the house, most likely.... its your ISP's problem. either a dslam issue, or other problems.

Are your problems like mine? Data light blinking red?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:55:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
First off, ask if they can actively monitor the connection during the times you listed. They'll probably tell you yes, but then they wont actually do it. So ask for the ticket number, and ask for the phone number to the control center. The INSTANT you start experiencing problems during that time, call them and get a tech on the phone to check it out.

Also, and I dont know if they will do it for residential, but ask if they can dispatch a tech and put a scope on your line for 24 to 48 hours. I dont know if they do that for residential service, but we damn sure will do it for business class customers.

Your best bet is going to be to get the scope on the line. That WILL pick up ANYTHING. A damned whale can fart in the pacific and that scope will tell you. Great stuff. But I really dont know if they do that for residential service.

+1 they will do it for residential here but as i recall there is a fee involved.

That wouldnt suprise me that theres a fee involved. Some of the higher end test sets can push $100k, not exactly the kind of thing you want to leave at Joe Schoe's house for 2 days.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:12:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:
That wouldnt suprise me that theres a fee involved. Some of the higher end test sets can push $100k, not exactly the kind of thing you want to leave at Joe Schoe's house for 2 days.

I believe Sprint would charge a fee.. even if its there own damn fault.

Btw; Update.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:54 PM EDT
you have a 768down 758 upload speed.

a 512 down 512 line here cost $100 dollars a month.

the fast dsl speed here is 3mb

the fastest cable connection is 6mb

ky internet sucks apparently

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:00:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]

Originally Posted By cruze5:
you have a 768down 758 upload speed.

a 512 down 512 line here cost $100 dollars a month.

the fast dsl speed here is 3mb

the fastest cable connection is 6mb

ky internet sucks apparently

Wow..100.

We pay around $50 a month I believe.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:14:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 7:15:00 AM EDT by VooDoo3dfx]
I sent out a email to the guy from our ISP.. and this is his response.

> Hello XXXXX,
>
> We have spoken briefly on the phone before with regards to the DSL issue we
> have been experiencing here. I was told by my brother, that when talking to
> some people at Blastnet, that they are somewhat convinced that its on our
> setup, which I don't believe is true.
>
> Here is why;
>
> 1. The DSL seems to go down at set times during the day, generally 5pm-8ish,
> and sometimes around 11ish. It is generally up otherwise.
>
> 2. I unplugged all the PCs from the Router other than mine, when 5ish hit,
> DSL still went down. However, I know it can't be my PC, as I turn my PC off
> when I leave for work, and the DSL still goes down even when my PC isn't
> on.
>
> So, I tried to see if it was a router issue.
>
> I unplugged the router entirely, and just plugged the modem into my PC
> directly (taking the preacutions needed), changed the settings on my PC
> (changed from LAN settings to WAN settings). However, even with this, the DSL
> still went down. So, that leads me to believe that its either a modem issue
> (which somebody at Blastnet said it couldn't be, as the modem works, or
> doesn't) or a Sprint DSL line issue. You had said in the past that other
> people are experiencing the same type of problem. Is this the case? What
> happend to those people? Are they still having problems?
>
> I understand that it might be a Sprint issue, and not directly your fault.
> However, this has been an ongoing problem for more than a month, and we need
> to have this resolved as soon as possible.
>

His response:

We believe it is your setup. Like I mentioned before we will come out to your
house and if the problem is on our end, no charge. If it is on your end, there
will be a charge, no one else is experiencing this problem, it was a
coincidence. I have made this offer before and this all we can offer you now.
Your call.
XXXX

Think it could be our setup? I doubt it. Furthermore, even if they can't figure out what the problem is.. I am concerned that we would still be charged.
Top Top