Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/12/2002 9:00:11 AM EDT
I just saw this for the second time. With more chances to concentrate on details, this came to mind. When the D boys and the SAW gunner were going in on foot at night, they had helmet mounted NVGs, but they were monocular, ie the vision of both eyes was enhanced through a single NV lens. How do you use weapon sights with a cyclops-type setup? THanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:21:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:24:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TimJ: You don't use the AN/PVS 7's and your weapons sights at the same time. You either point shoot or use an infrared laser designator-you'll be used to seeing these in the pictures from Afghanistan-it a rectangular box mounted to the front of many of the M-4's and other weapons in use there.
View Quote
PAQ-4. Pretty fun toys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:26:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:24:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TimJ: I've also heard talk of infra red tracers, but I have never had there use or existence substantiated. Tim
View Quote
The Army developed a "dim" tracer, the M996 for 5.56mm, distiguished by a violet tip. The "trace" is still visible to the naked eye, but has less tendency to cause bloom or washout when using night vision devices.
Top Top